Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leachianus vs. Chahoua

Thanks

Red face Leachianus vs. Chahoua

OK, let me first apologize since I do not know where I should post this otherwise. I am also sorry for Monopolizing the board over the past two days, but I don't want to take this lightly. Before I have asked technical questions, but now I have a question now that is strictly personal preference (with a few technical twists.)

I have seen so many individual posts about each, but what I want is a comparison giving the technical and the personal + and - of each. I would also like to see a picture of each with an actual ruler and one of them together for comparison.

The problem is that for the past month and a half. honestly my research started with the veiled chameleon and within hours moved on to the whole Rhacodactylus family. In a few hours of review, I found that the Chahoua was both hardy and inquisitive. I have been researching the Chahoua and today while looking at a few breeder sites, thanks again to Rufio, my son was looking at the Leachianus. He very much wants me to change my mind to the "dinoroar (dinosaur) one" aka Leachianus. He also likes the nick name of leachies much better than chewies. (Though the moss monster gecko is still his favorite thing to talk about. LOL)

OK lets hear the debate...

Thanks

Good luck with the ruler thing. They are both wonderful. leachies get much bigger 200g+ vs 90g is the biggest chahoua I've ever heard of 60g is more typical. Chahoua are much more varied for the most part leachies look alike other than the black morphs. They both have very similar care only difference to me is an adult leachie needs a 18x18x24 minimum. A chahoua you could put in a 12x12x18 by itself. I don't have a GT leachie but they can be a handful to handle sometimes no pun intended. My honest advice would be just to buy both. Keep in mind if you start out with juvies they need much smaller enclosures 12x12x12 maybe pushing it. A side note my leachie would not eat for almost 30 days after I bought her she got so skinny that I started feeding her by hand now 10 months later she almost 80g. She was 7g when I got her.
    1.0.0 GT/PI Chahoua
    3.0.0 PI Chahoua
    0.1.0 Leachianus unknown Locale

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SillyDaddy View Post
    OK, let me first apologize since I do not know where I should post this otherwise. I am also sorry for Monopolizing the board over the past two days, but I don't want to take this lightly. Before I have asked technical questions, but now I have a question now that is strictly personal preference (with a few technical twists.)

I have seen so many individual posts about each, but what I want is a comparison giving the technical and the personal + and - of each. I would also like to see a picture of each with an actual ruler and one of them together for comparison.

The problem is that for the past month and a half. honestly my research started with the veiled chameleon and within hours moved on to the whole Rhacodactylus family. In a few hours of review, I found that the Chahoua was both hardy and inquisitive. I have been researching the Chahoua and today while looking at a few breeder sites, thanks again to Rufio, my son was looking at the Leachianus. He very much wants me to change my mind to the "dinoroar (dinosaur) one" aka Leachianus. He also likes the nick name of leachies much better than chewies. (Though the moss monster gecko is still his favorite thing to talk about. LOL)

OK lets hear the debate...
    I have 6 leachies and I love them to pieces. I keep all mine in various tub sizes and they all feed very well on CGD and crickets occasionally. Feeding issues is usually when you first get your leachie, depending on which breeder you get one from. I suggest Steve Cemelli for your leachies and Chahoua's. He provides the best care and my leachies from him all ate their first night with me. Anyways I will try to put some ruler pictures of my leachies to help you out.

1.0 crested geckos( Mocha) 1.1 Red tailed boas (zues and athena)

Thanks

iv done this thread on about every forum iv been on. What i got on most of them is pros for leachies. There big, intersting to watch when there out in the open. cons they can be mean don't move to much.

chewies pros. More personable (depends on geckos just like all but most are), fun to watch them go after bugs. easier to handle.
    Cons- don't think iv really herd of none. except the color changes a lot a lot so what u get from the start won't be the color you get in the end.

Thanks

I breed/keep leachies,chewies,gargs and cresties.
    The leachies are by far my favorite. I love the look, the coloring, but most of all the size of them.

They are something amazing to hold. We have been to Steve Cemelli's house several times (leapin Leachies) and have been able to observe/hold all different types of them. We have been able to hold ones that are about a pound. Nothing quite like that feel!!

The only personality issues I have seen with any of his and he has so many leachies is cage aggression. None of mine (4) have ever shown this, but a few of his did. Once you get them out of the cage they were awesome.

To purchase, you might just ask the breeder/seller of temperament, cage aggression, how they are feeding/caging ect....

All of mine are eating CGD. None are really that interested in live foods, crickets,roaches,phoenix worms. They are offered live foods, but normally they get removed, as my leachies don't eat them up

I think chewies, at least the ones I have seen seem to be more docile all the way around. Their skin is so soft and awesome to touch. Ours have wonderful personalities.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either one really

Thanks

I've had two Leachies and rehomed them both. Despite their impressive size and visual appeal, both of mine had horrible attitudes and were hissing, biting, whistling and barking any time I came near them. I was also bit by both and it didn't feel very good.

Furthermore, they are much more reserved and spend almost all of their time hidden and out of view. I like to see and hold my animals so the Chewies make a lot more sense for me personally - they are out and visible during the day, eat out of your hand, respond well to handling and have become very comfortable with me.

That said, I attribute my dissatisfaction with Leachies to my lack of research and understanding before I added them to my collection. Even though I read the Leachie section of the Rhac Bible cover to cover and did about all of the research I could, I never asked the right questions to make sure that they were the right type of pet for me. Leachie people are a pretty hardcore bunch and most readily accept that these geckos are not fond of handling or human interraction (though there are exceptions) and are not great display animals because they are so frequently hidden.

Although I felt bad for having them for a relatively short time, they went to a great home and are now owned by someone who appreciates their personalities and hiss-happy ways. My brief Leachie ownership was a learning experience about what qualities are important to me in a pet and in a way, I am grateful for that. I do love their size and the statement that is made by such a large gecko, but the rest of the package just isn't for me.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

WOW! I am impressed by all the information available through this forum.

~Rufio, you have been a great source of information for me time and time again. I must say that I am glad you are here. Thank-you

~vikki88 Thanks for the information and breeder lead. I have been bouncing back and forth between his site and 2 others reading everything to find out who is the best, but I really like to here testimonials from somewhere other than their sites. Thanks

~dragonlvr Your opinion and testimonial is greatly valued. I have been to your sight a few times, but only see the easy breeders most of the time. I must say that all your critters look wonderful though. I hope to see you around for years to come. And thanks for the clarification on Steve, I was having a go at it trying to find his site. Thank you.

~MPLexus301 Yours is exactly the kind of write up I am looking for. Sadly yours is also the one that switched my preferences, but also made me return to my original companion for the long run. I love attitude in my pets. Leachianus would be PERFECT for me, but I have 2 younger kids and one older, all of whom love critters and for them to be happy, means touch, hold, feed, and clean. So I guess even though I now want a Leachianus after your report, I will have to settle on the more personable, more amiable, more colorful, hardier and easier to raise from juvie, Chahoua. I have done more homework in the past month and a half, but it is the personal point of view that I truly need. Thank you so much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Good luck with the ruler thing.
    no need for good luck when im here lol hahaha

shes a pine isle, 102 grams at 15 months. Personally i like leachies way more, I like how big they can get they are truely an impressive animal. there is nothing like having a leachie the size of your forarm. Its really up to personal preference tho, i cant really even come up with many if not any negatives for either. Chahoua definitely are more aware of their surroundings and will actively hun, whereas with leachies (in my experience) are less interested in doing any sort of hunting, and only take pinkies fuzzys or dubias if i take them and smush guts on their noses. haaha. If your going to get a leachie id say go with one of the Isle Locals since they tend to be less aggressive so if your children are young and want to hold it theyre less likely to bite. Bc they can get mean. [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4QOpKSHtU[/YOUTUBE]

i say leahchie tho.
    1.1 R. L. Leachianus - MT. Koghis (Troeger)
    1.0 R. L. Leachianus - Riviere Bleue
    1.0 R. L. Leachianus - GT Type B
    1.0 R. L. Leachianus - GTX Type B x Pine Isle
    0.1 R. L. Henkeli - Pine Isle
    0.1 R. L. Henkeli - Pine Isle X Nuu Ana
    1.1 R. Chahoua - Pine Isle
    1.0 R. Ariculatus - Striped
    1.0 Blue Heeler - Jack
    0.1 Boxer - Bella

Thanks

~Redness S4TT That was what I wanted was something that shows them so I can see a standard against them. I wanted to see about how thick they are as well as long. People's hands are different sizes, but rulers are generally the same with only minor variances in thickness. She looks like she has just a little more growing to do. As for El Diablo the leachie, that was one unhappy little boy. I love the badass little guy. You ARE NOT HELPING!!! I am supposed to be getting something for the family, NOT something for myself, but now I am looking seriously at these nasty attitude beauties more seriously than ever before. I don't have the money for both, but I may end up getting both... Over the next few years that is. The vid had both measuring and weighing. Rock on... Thanks for that, I subscribed to Pakinjak to get future updates. Let me know.

Thanks

If your looking into getting a leachie I suggest you check out the Repashy forums ( http://www.forums.repashy.com/community-forums/ ), it tends to be a bit more leachie oriented. My Pine isle girls parents were pretty big the male was close to 260 and the female was 235 so im hoping mine gets to be about the same as the mother. I can tell you have already been hit with the addiction so its not a matter of if you have both only a matter of time hahha. If your going to get a leachie def go with one of the isle morphs first for the family, they are less likely to be like that el diablo video. then when your ready to get somethign for yourself get a big, mean, monster GT. if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    1.1 R. L. Leachianus - MT. Koghis (Troeger)
    1.0 R. L. Leachianus - Riviere Bleue
    1.0 R. L. Leachianus - GT Type B
    1.0 R. L. Leachianus - GTX Type B x Pine Isle
    0.1 R. L. Henkeli - Pine Isle
    0.1 R. L. Henkeli - Pine Isle X Nuu Ana
    1.1 R. Chahoua - Pine Isle
    1.0 R. Ariculatus - Striped
    1.0 Blue Heeler - Jack
    0.1 Boxer - Bella