Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crested Gecko won't eat?

Thanks

Default Crested Gecko won't eat?

Hey guys, I'm new here but not new to lizards.

I recently bought a Crested Gecko (about a week and a bit ago) and named him Fluffy. He is a brighter color, but he turns darker and gets stressed out at times, but I'm sure he likes his home (I used to own a Chameleon).

Here's the problem, I bought him some "Repashy Superfood" which the guy at the store told me to buy. He knew what he was talking about, and he said he fed his Geckos only that food, but sometimes crickets as a treat. I could tell he a was a big lizard owner. Fluffy won't eat any of his/her food (can't tell yet). I make the mix, which is 1 part power, 2 parts water, and it turns into more a baby food mix, but it sure does smell good.

I give him a generous amount, way more than what he needs. For the past week, he hasn't eaten anything. Just to be sure, I put his nose in the food and got a good pile of food on his nose and let him lick it off. I feed him every 24 hours, even though it is waste. I also replace his water every 24 hours too.

Out of spite, I bought 6 crickets. I saw him go hunt for one, but I'm not sure if he caught any. I'm sure a few of them jumped out of the cage (found 2 around the house). Fluffy isn't fat, but he isn't skinny either. Now I'm just really worried. He was checked and has no parasites or worms.

I know he isn't eating because his food dish remains untouched, even if I put some banana chunks in there, it is still untouched.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks

Ya just have to leave it with him for a couple weeks. Keep feeding him the food, if he gets hungry he will eat. Giving crickets just because you can't see him eat any or even if he isn't eating any of the Repashy yet isn't a good idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhessjr2291 View Post
    Ya just have to leave it with him for a couple weeks. Keep feeding him the food, if he gets hungry he will eat. Giving crickets just because you can't see him eat any or even if he isn't eating any of the Repashy yet isn't a good idea.
    Oh okay. I just get so worried. Do you know if Repashy is a good brand, or if I should order a better one online?

Thanks

There is nothing better... imo.

Thanks

Reptiles can easily go weeks without eating. They will often "go off feed" after a big change like a move to a new aquarium. The advice you have been given is good; heed it! Keep offering crested gecko diet until your gecko eats it; eventually it will eat. Healthy geckos do not starve themselves.

Thanks

Also, you can use milk jug caps and place a small amount of food in mutilpe caps around his habitat so it is easy to find if the cage is large.

Thanks

CGD is the best food out there, so you are doing good.

Reptiles can be easily stressed, and cresteds can take a while to adjust to their new home. I wouldn't get too concerned yet. I would suggest using a shallow dish for the food and only offering a dime sized droplet, and look for lick marks. I can always tell mine are eating that way.

Crix are okay in moderation, 3-4 once a week.

Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I figured I'd leave him for a bit, and he still hasn't eaten. (or she). He seems pretty fat still but I've noticed less activity so I get him some exercise in the evenings buy letting him climb around the desk, and he seems to enjoy it.

I've caught him just sitting on the bottom of the tank a lot, and he can't climb the glass anymore. Not sure what's going on, but I guess I'll leave him a little longer.

Still worried sick.

Thanks

Make sure the food dish isn't too large. They only eat a very small amount, a few licks. Its very easy to miss if you feed a lot of food. I use beverage lids about the size of a milk jug lid. If you have a soil substrate, cover it with papertowels for a couple weeks (its easier to see poos). If you see poo your crestie is eating.

As for the not sticking anymore, your crestie may have some stuck shed. Mine shed quickly, its very easy to miss. You can try a "sauna". I use a tupperware type container with some small holes in the lid. I use lukewarm water, very shallow. Then I leave the crestie in there for about 20 - 30 minutes. When I take them out, I GENTLY rub their feet with a wet q-tip.
    Our children are our legacy. What we teach them is what we leave behind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phairy80 View Post
    Make sure the food dish isn't too large. They only eat a very small amount, a few licks. Its very easy to miss if you feed a lot of food. I use beverage lids about the size of a milk jug lid. If you have a soil substrate, cover it with papertowels for a couple weeks (its easier to see poos). If you see poo your crestie is eating.

As for the not sticking anymore, your crestie may have some stuck shed. Mine shed quickly, its very easy to miss. You can try a "sauna". I use a tupperware type container with some small holes in the lid. I use lukewarm water, very shallow. Then I leave the crestie in there for about 20 - 30 minutes. When I take them out, I GENTLY rub their feet with a wet q-tip.
    It's about the size of a Milk jug lid. It's from an apple juice jug. I have been searching around the cage and have only seen 2 poops from when I got him.

I will try the "sauna" thing, it seems like a good idea.