Thread: Feeding our new corn snake

Thanks

Default Feeding our new corn snake

We just purchased a beautiful corn snake on January 29. This is our first reptile ever and want to make sure we feed her properly. She is appox 32" long. We fed her 2 hopper mice yesterday, but she did not have a bulge when she was done eating. Is this normal for a proper feeding? Should we go a little bigger or more hoppers?

Another question: The breeder was feeding her on Wednesdays, we would like to switch to Saturdays. What would be the least disruptive way to do this. I would like to feed her TH next week, then Fri the following week, then Sat from then on. My husband would like to feed her this Saturday even though we just feed her on Wednesday. Does it matter?

Not sure how this post ended up in the "Rules" Forum. I guess it's obvious that I am new here.
    Last edited by 6river; 02-03-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add content

Thanks

You need to go over to the forums on cornsnakes.com!

There are many, many, many experts there.

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 6river View Post
    We just purchased a beautiful corn snake on January 29. This is our first reptile ever and want to make sure we feed her properly. She is appox 32" long. We fed her 2 hopper mice yesterday, but she did not have a bulge when she was done eating. Is this normal for a proper feeding? Should we go a little bigger or more hoppers?

Another question: The breeder was feeding her on Wednesdays, we would like to switch to Saturdays. What would be the least disruptive way to do this. I would like to feed her TH next week, then Fri the following week, then Sat from then on. My husband would like to feed her this Saturday even though we just feed her on Wednesday. Does it matter?

Not sure how this post ended up in the "Rules" Forum. I guess it's obvious that I am new here.
    First of all, congrats on your new snake! It's always nice to see new people here. The general rule for feeding snakes is that you want a food item about 1.5 times the widest part of the snake's body. At 32", I would personally be feeding (large to extra large) adult mice (depending on the size of your snake), but I like to see a little bit of a bulge when I feed. Some people do, and others don't. It would be very helpful to see a picture of your snake with something like a quarter so that I could get an idea of size. This site: http://rodentpro.com/catalog.asp?pro...el=frozen_mice shows the different average sizes for feeder mice. With the exception of feeding pinkie and fuzzy mice, you can get away with feeding multiple small food items, and a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I prefer to feed one larger food item and be done with feeding, but to each his own.

Here is a photograph of my 4 foot California kingsnake eating a small adult rat. These are a bit bigger than the adult mice, but with rodents, their head size is about the thickest part of the body because everything else will squish down inside the snake. It takes her longer to eat, but she can eat the rat without any problems.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...o/IMG_8241.jpg

Something else you may want to consider is whether to feed live or frozen/thawed (F/T). I am personally a fan of feeding F/T because I don't have to worry about the rodent harming my snake. While this is more of a problem with rats, mice can cause significant damage when left alone with a snake. You also want to feed in a separate container with no substrate, and I would recommend using long feeding tongs when offering the rodent. Some snakes, like mine, have horrible aim.

I'm sorry to be so long-winded, but I hope this was helpful! Good luck with your new snake, and please post pictures!
    1.1 Lampropeltis getula (Caldera, Zorro), 1.1 Crested gecko (Hiyori & Sundae), 0.1 Western hognose snake (Hinamori Momo), 1.0 African house snake (Kensei), 0.0.1 Amazon tree boa (Kon)

Thanks

Hard to tell what to feed without seeing your snake. As the poster above stated, the prey should be no larger than one and a half times the size of the largest part of your snake. While they can handle two small prey items in one feeding, it's better to feed one properly sized prey item in one feeding.

As far as the feeding schedule goes...if you just fed Wed, it may be too soon to feed on Sat. Sounds like your snake is a couple years old, so it could handle not eating again until next Sat, provided it looks healthy and well-fed. Obviously if it already looks starved or is really small, I wouldn't suggest waiting that long to feed. Most people feed their adult corns only once every week or every two weeks. My corn is about three and a half years old and four feet long, and I feed him a 33g jumbo mouse once every two weeks, and he's still gaining a few grams in weight.

I'd suggest getting a digital scale to keep track of your snake's weight. That will give you a better idea of how often to feed. If he's gaining a lot of weight fast, you may be feeding too often.

All that said, I also agree that you should check over at cornsnakes.com. I'm no expert by any means, and it's always good to get multiple opinions.

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

Thanks

All grounds have basically been covered, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your new snake! I have a 30" snow corn snake myself, and I've never been happier with a snake's feeding response. With the proper habitat and prey items, they're basically foolproof. It's a joy watching them grow (mine was only a few months old when I got it). Enjoy!
    iHerp
    Facebook
    1.2.1 Crested Geckos | 0.1 Leachianus | 1.0 Corn Snake
    4.2 Ball Pythons | 0.1 Blood Python | 0.1 Hognose

Thanks

Default feeding my corn snake

Thank you all for your responses. Thanks Gecko Foot for your response and photo, it did help. That meal looked huge for your snake.

Name:  DSC00639.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  86.8 KB

I have attached a photo of mine next to a nickel. Her head is really small, probably closer to the diameter of a dime. I think I can go with a small adult mouse but not totally confident of that.

Thanks

I would suggest you get a scale and start going by the munson plan.

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 4-5 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
    -Double pinks (3g x 2) every 4-5 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
    -Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
    -Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 30-50g)
    -Hoppers (9-12g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 51-90g)
    -Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
    -Adult (24-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
    -Jumbo Adults (40-50g) every 7-x days (Snake = 400g+)

Note: Adult females are fed more frequently than adult males (especially following brumation). Females are fed every 6-8 days; males are fed every 7-14 days.

It has worked perfectly for my two and they're doing fantastic!

Edit: There's also obviously room for what you find to be right for your snakes. I've waited longer to switch Dex over to hoppers because he doesn't seem ready. This is by no means something you have to follow exactly, it's just a guideline.
    1.1.0 E. agricolae