Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Every day another breeder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlightsedge View Post
    Genes give them the potential for something great and the longer incubation helps them to reach their individual potential.
    That is a great explanation!

On another thread (the "cat show" thread) people are discussing having a reptile show, as in, one where the reptiles are judged and prizes awarded for best <insert trait>. I'm not sure how serious the discussion is. I had been wondering if such a thing occurred. From the discussion, it sounds like it doesn't usually occur, and this would be new.

Such a show would help people determine whether or not they actually have breed-worthy stock.

Dog shows serve that purpose. Unfortunately, the beauty-pageant style of AKC shows has also been a detriment to many dog breeds, as breeders would breed for extremes in conformation (looks) instead of health (muzzles so short that breathing is affected, e.g.).

But as long as desirable traits such as crowned, droopy crests don't cause any physical problems, I can't see this as a problem for reptiles. We aren't asking our cresties to go herd some sheep or hunt pheasants.

Not every animal should be bred. There just aren't enough homes for that many pets, and we don't really allow (or want to allow!) natural selection to thin the herd.

The again, enough animals should be bred to maintain a healthy gene pool.

A judged show would allow even the smaller breeders to demonstrate if they have quality stock, especially if "pedigree" records were kept. I would love to see a class for judging progeny, like they do in the Seiger shows (a dog show that requires not just pacing around a ring but also a demonstration of temperament, courage, trainability, etc.).
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

This is true, but not even close with cats or dogs than with crested geckos. Your crazy to think it's even close. Just for an example how many people do you honestly know who have a dog, and how many breed their family dog? I would say that easily half the people I work with own a dog, and none of them breed their dogs. More commonly people are negligent and don't get their pets fixed, but that is a whole different discussion.

And I'm not blaming reptile people, I am a reptile person. Trust me I have quite a few more flavors than vanilla in my house.
    -Charles Mullen
    I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Thanks

Maybe it depends on the area. I see hundreds of dogs, mostly mixes, being offered in the local newspaper and on CL (not to mention the several animal shelters in the area), some cats, some birds, and the occasional fish or snake. I don't recall ever seeing any geckos.

I know several people who breed their breed-worthy dogs and spay/neuter the rest, and I know of several irresponsible "back yard breeders", but then again I'm a dog person. I don't know anyone in this area who breeds geckos. Our PetSmart doesn't even sell cresties.

(I may be crazy, but it isn't because there are more unwanted dogs in my area than reptiles. lol)
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I think the point is, that maybe 1% of people who own dogs purposefully breed them. I'd say that more than 50% of people who own cresties do (or intend to) breed them. It's just that 1% of a million pet owners is a greater number of 50% of a hundred, so you'll see more ads for dogs than cresties.

The problem is that the supply of geckos generally out-paces demand, if only a hundred people want geckos, half of them are breeding. It means that if the number of people wanting geckos isn't rising by a similar amount, boom - gecko overpopulation.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Oh I see! That could very well be. There just isn't anyone who owns them in my area. I know one couple who used to keep cresties.

Depending on whether or not you'd call me a breeder, it could be 0% or 100% of the people in my area. I guess that averages out to 50%.

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks

i think one of the biggest problems of breeding is the Supply and Demand, it seems like most of the people looking for more geckos are for breeding, but by the time every1 has the geckos for breeding who ACTUALLY wants the "pet quality" geckos? i personally think that over 50% of the demand is for breeders looking for more geckos to breed. Then what happens when the demand goes down because the pet owners are all thats lefT?
    I personally am NOT against breeding infact i would like to at one point or another on a VERY small scale just so that i could learn from it, it would be atleast 5 or more years from now and i would keep all the offspring for myself so its not like i have a motive or anything pushing me.
    0.1.0 R. Ciliatus Aussie 12X18X20
    0.0.1 R. Auriculatus 12X12X18
    1.0.0 Blue Tonge Skink Lennie the Lounge Lizard
    0.0.2 Dwarf Puffer
    1.0.0 Cats
    1.0 Black Lab/Springer mix Jack
    0.1 Labro-doodle Molly
    If you have a question and you dont know what the answer is, Search before you post!