Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Every day another breeder

Thanks

Default Every day another breeder

Each day I see another person looking to breed crested geckos. The latest a 13 year old boy. I am not saying you shouldn't breed, but for god sake be prepared. Of coarse, right after someone says they are going to breed cresteds another suggests that the market is flooded.

First! If you are going to breed an animal be prepared and well educated. If your going to do it for money GOOD LUCK! Preparation is key and while you are preparing you will realize you need better quality geckos.

Second. The market is not flooded with amazing geckos. Most are alright to mediocre at best. When I buy I want amazing at the best price possible.

Finally. I will only breed the best of my best the other of my 10 will be my beautiful pets.
    2.3.2.? rhacodactylus ciliatus (Crested Geckos) Koda, Lilly, Drogo, Khaleesi, Jax, Arya, Snow, Tywin, Cersei Picasso, Tyrion, Viserys

1 Gargoyle Gecko: Quazi
    Video of our Crested Gecko Room
    http://youtu.be/TxQr2n1n6v4

Thanks

I am out of 'thanks' for today or I would give you them.

When I first got cresties I wanted to breed when mine got old enough (nevermind the fact that they would not have been quality geckos, which I realize now after seeing many babies get bigger and see what they turn into), but due to malnutrition issues from their first home they didn't make it. Now that I'm a tidge older at 15, I see what a mistake it would have been. I have my one male now I would like to breed eventually since he is very nice, but I'm set on finding the perfect lady for him (He's roughly 13g, I have a while) and being fully prepared, and then assessing the market situation. There is no rush. If it hasn't picked up online, than I will assess the market locally. If I can't guarentee that I can house 25+ adult cresties, then I won't breed. Simple as that. There's nothing wrong with just enjoying them as pets.

Thanks

when i was at repticon atlanta i seen a good amount of crested babie and juvies going for 20-30 bucks how could u really make that much money on them with the cost if electricety and the food and everything?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john15882 View Post
    The market is not flooded with amazing geckos. Most are alright to mediocre at best. When I buy I want amazing at the best price possible. .
    You want amazing at the best price? If you want amazing, it takes work and is expensive. You need to be rewarding those amazing breeders who produce quality animals by paying them what their work and animal are worth.

Put your money where your mouth is... You want amazing. You really should be willing to pay a price that reflects the quality.
    -Will
    My Facebook
    ôResentment is like drinking a poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher

Thanks

Yep takes money to make money high dollar parent make high dollar babies but usually you wont get the high dollar from the babies to get the $$ back you spent on the parents..

Dont breed to make $$ breed to make PETS..
    3.1.0 Cresties 1.1.1 Cats 1.1.0 Kids

Peace
    Jay

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cid67 View Post
    Yep takes money to make money high dollar parent make high dollar babies but usually you wont get the high dollar from the babies to get the $$ back you spent on the parents..

Dont breed to make $$ breed to make PETS..
    Eh theres enough geckos out their to keep as pets... no need to create more.

And if you are breeding smartly, you should be able to get your purchase price back on wisely bought quality parents.
    -Will
    My Facebook
    ôResentment is like drinking a poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher

Thanks

I dont think you read all the posts I decided not to because of one reason college! And I'm very well educated and I was going to do it for money but the experience!
    Will for Rhacs!

Thanks

I agree John. Too little thought is put into breeding. I think if someone wants to really experience having hatchlings, maybe buy a gravid female. Get a feel for it. But yes, with the market flooded I think breeding means to strive for the best and the others should be pets. Since Cresteds are easy to breed I just don't see this problem going away easily, but it makes me feel better to try to educate anyone and everyone on breeding when given the chance.
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    You want amazing at the best price? If you want amazing, it takes work and is expensive. You need to be rewarding those amazing breeders who produce quality animals by paying them what their work and animal are worth.

Put your money where your mouth is... You want amazing. You really should be willing to pay a price that reflects the quality.
    honestly? The cost of breeding a few geckos is minimal. After buying a couple of enclosures there is food and water...Considering the amounts that geckos eat again the cost is minimal. There is no need for large groups of geckos to breed quality geckos. So the excuse of cost is complete rubbish. The cost of the original breeding pair while they may cost quite a bit are paid in full after the first couple of offspring are sold. The cost of designer animals is purely supply and demand, and has very little to do with costs related to production. IF, one can produce something different AND cause people to think it is desirable then they can price the animal at whatever the market will bear.

Work it does take. Mostly it takes the brain power to choose a breeding pair that will produce the offspring your looking for. It also take a bit of business acumen to sell of what you have bred while continuing to narrow the genetic strains that your working with to produce the specific outcome your looking for. For the few that are living off their sales the cost is greater and it is a part of their business model.

Telling someone to put there money where their mouth is, is childish at best and actually completely asinine. If someone wants to get the most for their hard earned money you and I have no right to tell them they are wrong.

There is nothing wrong with wanting something at the best price possible. If the market dictates that a animal is worth $500 then great. But as many have begun to find out, the fads change and the prices will follow. What would fetch $400 last year may be worth $30 this year. It doesn't matter what anyone other than the buyers think in a market based on fashion. A smart buyer knowing this might wait until their particular favorite has gone out of style or the market has saturated and thus the price has gone down. At that point they could buy the same animal for a fraction of what it cost last year. They might also realize that one seller is charging quite a bit for animals that look that same as those from Petco and not be willing to pay $150 for a "spectacular, high end, Quality" gecko that they can get for fifty bucks down the street. I have seen quite a few animals that I would pay a sizable sum for. I have also seen more animals that are not even close to the qualities the prices reflect.

The "worth"of a animal is only in the eye of the beholder....
    1.0.2 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Python regius
    0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
    0.1.0 child

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Eh theres enough geckos out their to keep as pets... no need to create more.

And if you are breeding smartly, you should be able to get your purchase price back on wisely bought quality parents.
    I can see your point with your statement but to a certain point I disagree... for one of these novice potential breeders breeding the pet quality hatchlings will be a stepping stone into becoming serious hobbyists....and a lot of the youngsters who keep reptiles the only way they are going to be able to afford the better quality reptiles is to breed their pet quality ones and put the money towards said quality ones....

I have bred and kept high quality import fish in the past and at the end of the day not everybody could have afforded to do so ....

I honestly think it makes more sense for some of these novices to start at the bottom and work their way up so to speak.... (not that I intend on breeding my cresties lol)

But I hear what you are saying and respect your views