Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crested Geckos vs. Gargoyles

Thanks

Question Crested Geckos vs. Gargoyles

Hi! I am new to the site. I've been doing a lot of reading and looking for my new baby. I am torn between the Gargoyles and the Crested Gecko. Help! I can't decide which one to start with. It seems to me that Cresteds are more popular and easier to find. Why is that? Are Gargoyles harder to breed or is it just that the demand for the Cresteds are so high that more people were drawn to them? I will probably end up with both eventually but I would like opinions. Any way, Thanks for all I have learned so far and I'm sure I learn alot more about these little ones in the months to come. I have to wait till spring because it's too cold here in Iowa to have anything shipped in. So it give me plenty of time to prepare. Thanks again!

Thanks

Welcome aboard, I'll give you my take on the questions.

Read more if you can't make up your mind. I like Cresteds better because to me they are better looking and more interesting. A simple answer but that, depth of knowledge and availability help swing me as well.

Do not buy any pet with the intent to breed right off the bat. Believe me you might end up doing it, but unless your already breeding animals don't start off breeding. Buy one, you'll end up with a couple and later when you want a lot more work and you know what it will entail go for it.

It sounds like your plan to to research and buy in the spring is good. If there are any shows in your area check them out. Also once you get to the point that you know where your going to start you can start acquiring the gear and have everything set up for when you get your first gecko.
    1.0.2 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Python regius
    0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
    0.1.0 child

Thanks

I agree with Belegnole, Cresteds look alot cuter and seem to be a more fun Reptile

Thanks

I have kept both and much prefer gargoyles. Gargs tend to have more individual personality, they are chunkier and much less fragile, thy regenerate their tails, they are not prone to flighty, suicide jumping behavior like cresteds and to me their patterns and coloration can be more striking and contrasted than a crested.

Gargoyles tend to be more defensive and therefore are more likely to bite, but rarely do I have one run hellbent in and out of it's cage trying to avoid being handled. I think they tolerate handling much better than cresteds: especially for someone not used to potentially leaping geckos.

I would suggest you try to handle adults of both species: some people like the softer, more cute cresteds crawling over their hands. Gargs are also more "talkative" than cresteds. Many of mine will chitter and sigh when I handle them.

Thanks

Photos can also be deceiving. When I first got into rhacs, gargs were my least favorite of these guys. I don't know why, but something about them didn't appeal to me. But when I saw one in real life for the first time, I loved them after that.
    Me, personally, I like colored striped gargoyles a whole lot. And I am picky about what kind of cresties I like.
    I'd say go with a gargoyle first. Then if you want to try something else, try the cresteds.
    3.6.3 R. ciliatus; 0.1 R. leachianus; 1.1.1 G. gecko; 1.0 G. ulikovskii
    0.1 Heterodon nasicus
    1.1 Eumeces schneideri; 0.0.3 Bombina orientalis; 0.0.2 Archispirostreptus gigas

Thanks

I say gargs, I have both species and I like personally like my garg better. He has a nice personality, he eats anything, and he is freaking awesome!

Thanks

We debated for a couple of months between the two and went with gargs. Gargs have such individual personalities which makes interacting with them so much more fun. It's interesting to listen to them chirp/talk back and forth to each other at night.

The reason you don't see gargs for sale at petstore, we hoard them. It is so hard to part with the babies because of their personalities and most of them go through a base color change when they are juvies....colors can become very vivid and stunning, kinda like the ugly duckling coming of age.

Thanks

Talking

Dammit....
    You guys are talking me into a Garg or 10 now.... LOL

-Wes
    4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
    3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius

Thanks

I'm in the SAME boat! Looking to get a gecko in spring, planned on getting a crestie, but now gargs sound good too! One thing to keep in mind is the price. Gargs seem to be more expensive, from what I've found, especially since I'm interested in getting an adult (unless a young one grabs my heart and doesn't let go). I like the look of both, but I do like how much easier it is to get cresties. I dunno! I'm going to meet a couple of each species and let it go from there :P. I'm probably going to end up with both eventually, but until I settle down in one spot for awhile I'm only getting one.

But yeah, start acquiring supplies now so that when the "one" catches your eye, you're ready!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ~KK~ View Post
    But yeah, start acquiring supplies now so that when the "one" catches your eye, you're ready!
    THIS ^

Good advice here.
    I did the same thing with my Crestie.
    Then when I found him, all I had to to was pay for him, and I was good to go.

-Wes
    4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
    3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius