Thread: Anyone try snails?

Thanks

Default Anyone try snails?

Has anyone tried feeding snails to rhacodactylus species? The reason I bring this up is that some German breeders feed snails to uroplatus geckos and rhacs and they both develop large calcium sacks that had never been registered in captive animals before. These aniamls never suffered from frickets durign the reproductive season.

Thanks

snails? hmm well i heard people using snails as a way to control the wastes inside their cages.. or maybe it was slugs but whichever it was.. i thought it was weird that the rhacs wouldnt eat them.. hm i wonder now if they do eat them? i dunno haha i would liek to know this as well! seems intresting

Thanks

Snails?That would be an interesting experiment to try.

Thanks

Are you talking about snails or slugs. I would be concerned with snail shells being ingested... :?

Thanks

yes snails. I have seen uroplatus geckos bring down a snail with no problems. Some breeders have given them to rhac geckos as well.

Thanks

Wonder if he would eat slugs, another interesting experiment to try, lol

palex134 Guest

where would you get sterile snails from? im sure theyd be good. Old Faithful is licking her lips/eye already!

Thanks

Lol, nice pic, and you can probably search yahoo and find someone/someplace that's selling snails. :P I'm licking my chops to try to get a crestie like yours, lol

Thanks

many petstores carry canned snails, usually for monitors but should be just as tasty for rhacs :lol:

Thanks

My female PI Leachianus eats snails once in a while. She doesn't eat them often. Maybe she only likes them once in a while or she might not be too hungry the days I give them to her, I have no clue. I use very small Helix aspersa (Syn: Cantareus aspersus) Common Brown Snail, Common Brown Citrus Snail or as the French say "petit-gris" or small grey snail that I collect in a protected non-sprayed area.

The gargoyle females do eat them once in a while too but never got a crestie to eat one yet. Seems to me the most likely time for any of the Rhacs to eat a snail is during breeding season. Maybe the extra calcium has a lot to do with it?

The cresties ( and gargoyles) will happily eat sowbugs/pillbugs/woodlice though.

The big thing with snails is to only use terrestrial species, aquatic ones can carry liver flukes which can infect geckos. Also get young ones with small shells which are easier for the gecko to manage (unless you're talking an adult GT Leachie, they can probably crunch rocks )