Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times do you .........?

Thanks

Default How many times do you .........?

breed your geckos before you sell them or retire them .like how many seasons ? back to back ,? do you breed 2 season's in a row wait 1 then again ? i've heard some people don't even care to keep track .they might breed them for like 7 seasons burn them out then use new stock..im just curious to know what other breeders think ? i was just doing some math and if the A.L.E.(average life expectancy) is 20 years i just cant see breeding a gecko for more than 3-5 seasons if that's the case.

Thanks

My oldest two females have bred for 3 season, and they are getting a time one. They had thrown some duds, and didnt lay very many eggs at all this last season, so they will get the year off to be pampered pets. I was thinking of doing it last season, but their second season still went so well, I thought they could do one more. But better late than never. I cant bare to let these two go, I think they may simply be forever pets when I do let them retire, or they will go do work for educational proposes.

Right now everyone I have is a fairly new breeder, either on their first season, or second season. After this season Lazar will get some time off as it will be her third season for breeding.

Since the max age of these guys is still unknown but projected to be in the 20's, these guys should in theory be able to breed for quite some time. This is an older thread, but in here you can see some people breeding much older geckos
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...oldest+breeder
    I would think if done right, these guys could easily breed up into the 10-12 year age no problem, if properly fed, given time to cool down, and even given seasons off.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I tend not to breed my females very much during the season. I may get 2 or 3 clutches from each during the season. My thought is that I would rather have a few more females breeding during the season then constantly breed them during the season. I also just do this as a hobby, I am not in it for money or anything like that.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    1.1 Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.0 Gekko gecko
    1.1 Uroplatus Sikorae
    1.0 Python regius

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post

Since the max age of these guys is still unknown but projected to be in the 20's, these guys should in theory be able to breed for quite some time. This is an older thread, but in here you can see some people breeding much older geckos
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...oldest+breeder
    I would think if done right, these guys could easily breed up into the 10-12 year age no problem, if properly fed, given time to cool down, and even given seasons off.
    I agree with this. I would assume 10-12 depending on how well a female bounces back after each season and her overall health. The boys I'm sure would like a go every season.

As far as retiring goes, if I were to retire an animal, I don't know that I'd want to sell it, simply because someone would probably breed them again. I wouldn't really ever trust someone not to breed what I sell, that would always be in the back of my mind. I don't intend to be a super huge breeder with hundreds of animals at all times, so I would really try to just retire my breeders and turn them into well-loved pets- not that they aren't that already.
    I don't know what some of the larger breeders do, but I don't know that anyone's really reached a point where their geckos were so old they felt a real need to retire.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmciliatus View Post
    I tend not to breed my females very much during the season. I may get 2 or 3 clutches from each during the season. My thought is that I would rather have a few more females breeding during the season then constantly breed them during the season. I also just do this as a hobby, I am not in it for money or anything like that.
    But some females only need one breeding during a season and could crank out 5-6 clutches. However, I would also just want to breed my females once and hope for fewer clutches over more.

Thanks

The fact is you dont need to constantly put a male in with a female to get her to lay eggs through the entire season, one breeding and I tend to get around 6-7 clutches from a female, no need to add the male a second time. So by not introducing the male a second time doesnt mean that you are taking it easy on your girls..lol
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

thanks for the link Melissa , that's pretty good stuff. The way i see it , to me they are like dogs just about almost the same life expectancy, so i can't see myself breeding a female dog more than 3 times (if that ) but breeding an animal for almost it's entire life , ouch!!!!! that sounds painful .. a male i could see doing that with as long as what melissa said is right , Proper Diet & Husbandry with some off time here and there .What i experienced during this last season is my male actually gained weight and size during breeding ?i dont know how or why , but i would imagine mine is not the only one. and JM i was curious as to how your geckos only have 2-3 clutches or how you can control that , from my understanding and experience , i put them together for 1 week over a year ago and im still hatching eggs from that pairing.how do you "not breed them very much"? i understand not many seasons back to back , but "not very much" in a season i dont understand?

dang , answers came quick , i was responding and 3 more popped up ..lol

Thanks

Interhactive Gecko, I didn't even realize they could have more than one clutch from a pairing. None of my females ever have or maybe it was just because I would put them with a male before they laid their next clutch. I thought I was giving them a break by giving them a few months in between meeting with my male but I guess it really doesn't matter. This past season I got one clutch from each time a female was with my male.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    1.1 Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.0 Gekko gecko
    1.1 Uroplatus Sikorae
    1.0 Python regius

Thanks

Was that their first season? Normally a females first season can be wonky, their first clutch can be infertile, they may only lay a few clutches, they may lay 6 clutches and the first is infertile and maybe a fertile egg or two here and there, or in more rare instances all of the clutches are fertile. So if your females first time breeding was with you, this could be the reason why they only laid a few clutches. Normally a single introduction in lets say March will normally give the female enough sperm to retain to lay clutches of eggs to Sept or Oct, and even instances she can retain enough to start laying fertile eggs the following season.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

This was their first season. How do you know when to re-introduce the male then?
    Thanks,
    Jason
    1.1 Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.0 Gekko gecko
    1.1 Uroplatus Sikorae
    1.0 Python regius