Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ohio Exotic Pet Law??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holly12 View Post
    I agree with you on that Amaddox the reson why Iam not for poison snakes is becuase I have heard of pepole geting killed from being biten by them. And now Iam all for lizards and frogs but when it comes to reptiles that are not safe then I get a little worried. What if their was a child and someone had a dangerous sanke it was a pionson sanke? and the child goes up to it and it strikes it?. That child will be rush to the ER and maight make it or might not and that's what makes it kinda scary. So all Iam doing is expressing my opinion and I understand what you are saying.
    The correct term for these kinds of snakes is venomous snakes. They aren't poisonous..

Yes incidents happen where a venomous snake bites and or possibly kills someone. These incidents are pretty limited, and as far as I'm aware, the people that responsibly work with venomous animals do everything in their power to make sure not only themselves are kept safe, but the public, children and their animals as well. Yes there are idiots that own a rattle snake and keep them in a 20gal with lid clips and think that it's a good idea (which it isn't). But that doesn't mean the government should be butting into our personal business. We should self police, not let the government do it for us. :/

Because once the bans start, they don't just do giants or Hots or monitors. They're going to go all the way down the line, to your corn snakes and your ball pythons and your leopard geckos and your crested geckos.

Personally, I don't want to take the risk, nor do I feel responsible enough to consider keeping venomous (anything other than hognose snakes). Thats my decision to make as an educated reptile hobbyist.
    Last edited by Cinderbird; 05-27-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Sorry for the late edit, working.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderbird View Post
    The correct term for these kinds of snakes is venomous snakes. They aren't poisonous..

Yes incidents happen where a venomous snake bites and or possibly kills someone. These incidents are pretty limited, and as far as I'm aware, the people that responsibly work with venomous animals do everything in their power to make sure not only themselves are kept safe, but the public, children and their animals as well. Yes there are idiots that own a rattle snake and keep them in a 20gal with lid clips and think that it's a good idea (which it isn't). But that doesn't mean the government should be butting into our personal business. We should self police, not let the government do it for us. :/

Because once the bans start, they don't just do giants or Hots or monitors. They're going to go all the way down the line, to your corn snakes and your ball pythons and your leopard geckos and your crested geckos.

Personally, I don't want to take the risk, nor do I feel responsible enough to consider keeping venomous (anything other than hognose snakes). Thats my decision to make as an educated reptile hobbyist.
    Well excuse me for not useing the CORRECT TERM okay here I will use the CORRECT TERM VENOMOUS SNAKES.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderbird View Post

Exactly. If you think USFWS won't try to ban all exotic animals, even geckos, just wait. It will come sooner or later. They are already trying to ban importation and interstate transport of all large constrictors. Regulation sets precedent for more regulation. It gets a foot in the door.