Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Exotic Pet Law??

Thanks

Default Ohio Exotic Pet Law??

Does anyone know where I can see the actual Ohio exotic pet law? I'm getting mixed answers from the media and friends, so I want to read the facts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Paleoart at mmfrankford.deviantart.com

Thanks

It can vary from city to city and what law in particular you are talking about.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

The new statewide one that was signed into effect on Thursday. Here is a link to NBC4 talking about it. I want to know what is going on.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jan/...6381-vi-23664/

Thanks

Thanks

Yeah I'm trying to understand this. It's dangerous animals that are banned. (whatever they consider dangerous anyway ) Unfortunately this includes the large snakes? Besides my cresties I own a corn snake and would like to get a rough scaled sand boa. I'm wondering what the actual "dangerous" list includes and what I have is on the list.

Thanks

I should have put that I heard that someone in Columbus wants to ban all reptiles as pets because of Salmonella?!? I am hoping that isn't part of this law.

Thanks

From what I understand it's a 30 day emergency law and it's up to Strickland to decide weather it gose or stays after that.

Thanks

From what I know, it is a 90 day ban, which is going to seriously hurt the reptile shows here in Ohio for the next few months, it is calling for pythons and boas at the moment for reptiles, the others are large exotic animals, because he fears for Ohioan's peoples safety.The fact is, it is the ohioans fault for being stupid in the first place to get hurt from most snakes. But on the brighter side of it I guess, those of us who already own them just need to register them and we can keep them no problem, so if it does happen, I suppose they are nice enough to let us keep our pets.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

This is what you need to do. Use the contact list in the link below and contact the Administration dept. They will be able to put you guys in contact with someone who will be able to answer your questions.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/default/t...0/default.aspx

Also asking for the conclusive prohibited list of animals for your state (link or emailed to you) will help out a great deal.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

I don't know entirely, but I did get this from USARK tonight in my email.

OHIO- Reptile Ban/ Executive Order

Outgoing Ohio Governor Ted Strickland signed an Executive Order on January 6, 2011 in regards to the possession, sale and transfer of “dangerous wild animals”. This Executive Order mandates the immediate adoption of a new Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife rule that bans private ownership of many exotic animals; including 7 constrictor snakes, all venomous and crocodilians. Possession of such animals currently in private ownership will be grandfathered under specific conditions. All trade or transfer of possession is banned except under certain circumstances. This order is temporary for the next 90 days. The rulemaking process has been initiated and should include participation from all stakeholders.

USARK is engaging in the process and reaching out to newly elected Governor Kasich’s office. The new Governor is a reasonable man and very pro small business. Currently he does not have a complete picture of the dynamics or facts of this issue. USARK is working to educate the Governor on the reality of this situation; as well as the ideologically skewed perspective of proponents from the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

Governor Kasich has the power to reverse this order once he understands the facts. It is up to USARK and the Reptile Nation to voice our concerns and help the Governor understand that reptiles do not, nor have they ever, posed a measureable public safety risk in Ohio. The scare tactics and misrepresentations espoused by the HSUS must not be allowed to go unchallenged by the truth.

Please click the link to contact Governor Kasich and let your voice be heard: http://usark.org/campaign.php?id=21

Questions:
    Andrew Wyatt
    president@usark.org
    252-207-1041