Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: worried about eggs approaching day 100

Thanks

Thanks y'all!

I'll see if I can get a picture of her tonight, and I probably have a picture from a couple of weeks ago. I'll try to post something tonight. I think she looks healthy considering what she's going through, just really petite and a kinked tail, but it is always good to have others take a look too.

I have a blue bulb and a red bulb, I could try both. I want to make sure it doesn't get *too* cold in there first, before I move her. There's a bedroom downstairs that might work better, more access to power outlets, can keep the door closed all the time to keep out cats, I need to see how cold it gets with the vent closed.

p.s. - That's Spike in my avatar.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

Ok, first, some recent photos, then some from tonight.

Feb. 20, 2011, about a month after laying, and a month before laying this most recent clutch:

March 8, 2011, two weeks before laying this most recent clutch - I can't tell that she's gravid, usually I can:

Tonight's pictures in next post.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks

From tonight, after finding eggs this morning:

Looking at this photo, I think I see stuck shed on the back right leg:

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks

She actually doesn't look -too- bad, so I would dial back the panic levels a bit. Is she undersized? Yeah, and her tail is crimping a bit. But I don't see hip bones jutting out (like they were with the female I was dealing with) and the rest of her body looks pretty well-fleshed.

Sorry, this thread has been going on for a while and it's long, are you offering live food often? If not, I would start leaving a small container of bugs for her a couple of times a week. It may be coincidental but that seemed to jump-start my own troublemaker's appetite and now she wolfs both live food and CGD. Calci-Worms (Petco) or Phoenix Worms (online) - either way they're soldier fly larvae wherever you can pick 'em up and they're supposed to be great calcium-wise. But not every gecko really takes to them so I wouldn't invest a lot and just pick up a small pack. Otherwise crickets or roaches would work.

Thanks

I'm really glad you think she doesn't look too bad!

I usually offer crickets about once every couple of weeks, this last batch of crickets I offered once or twice a week. She ate 5 crickets the night after I found the eggs.

I tried meal worms but no one ate them, so I wasn't sure how she'd go for phoenix worms. I'd have to order them online but maybe they have a small package. I'll also check Petco for calci-worms - I don't recall seeing them, but I wasn't looking for them at the time.

Thanks! I will increase to twice a week the live food, the calci-worms or phoenix worms if I can get them, otherwise crickets.

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks

Yeahhh mealworms are pretty yuck for these guys, especially if you're trying to get some calcium/meat into them. Soldier fly larvae are another ballpark.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Waxworms are highly fatty, but might work well with her. Those can be found at PetSmart/Petco for about 50 for $4-$5. They last maybe a month in the fridge. I haven't been able to find soldier fly larva there. A reptile specialty shop said they hadn't been able to get any from their supplier. Lame.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook