Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: worried about eggs approaching day 100

Thanks

Default worried about eggs approaching day 100

It's been about 95 days since I found these two eggs (Oct. 3) and I've been worried about them hatching in the Gladware container and not having enough air (even though ppl said it would be fine for awhile). So I moved the two Oct. eggs from that container over to a smaller container of Superhatch but without the lid, and put that into a KK. With the added ventilation, I now worry about humidity so I put a wet paper towel over the top.

What do you guys think? Is this acceptable or is it a bad idea? I will be out of town Jan. 10-14 and wanted a setup that my husband and kids could take care of without needing to be checked every few hours. I'm hoping a twice-a-day paper-towel-wetting will do for this setup.

Once they hatch I can move them to a 6-quart plastic bin with some fake foliage and a coconut hide.

(I was also worried because I no longer see movement when candling, but I just now saw JB's video that says in the last 10 days sometimes you don't see any movement. Thanks JB!!!)

after the wet paper towel is on top:

and the two December eggs, now alone in the Gladware, with less Superhatch but more air space:

*** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

Doesn't look like too bad of an idea but I'm not too sure. You could use a gladware container and poke holes in it. That to me seems safer but your method could very well work. As far them being at 100 days, hang in there! I've had eggs go after the 100 day mark and they both look nice and white and healthy. Hopefully you'll have babies in not time.
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Eggies look perfectly healthy and properly plump for hatching real soon. The length of hatch is very temperature dependent and many take well over 100 days. AND the longer hatch times result in more robust and better structured babies.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

I would think about adding in some leaves for hiding spots when they do hatch - a tp tube is nice but it's still huge for new hatchlings when they're inside it and they may feel a little safer with something smaller to hide under. (I used tp tubes for a while but found my very young hatchlings didn't use them much. Smaller tubes like inch-size PVC piping was more readily accepted.)

If you're not seeing movement they're probably getting ready to hatch in the next few days.

Thanks

Ooooh ok! I can't wait!

I have a coconut hide, and a few odd leaves that fell off the fake vine that I could put in there. Is that too little?

The fake plant I bought for the 6-quart shoe box would completely fill the KK, is that too much?

A loosely crumpled paper towel seems like it would fill the space nicely, would that be good?

Should I go with too little, too much, or (what I'm guessing would be) just right? Which one is really just right?

Thanks everyone for holding my hand through this first-time experience!
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks

Also, would you call this "KK" a small KK, a medium KK, or not even big enough to be a small KK? I originally got it for crickets so technically it might be a "Cricket Keeper" instead of a "Kritter Keeper".

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks

Don't overdo it on stuff on the inside, I just like to offer leaves because that's more natural and it offers the little ones several layers to hide under. Faux-liage (fake plants) work well to add height and depth to their hiding places, and they like to climb even at young ages.

I think that's a small KK but it's been a while since I've seen them all lined up size-wise.

Thanks

Ah, so you're saying to add real leaves? I can do that too! How do I clean them? Warm soap and water?

or... maybe you're still talking about faux-liage... (love the term!)... sorry if I'm being obtuse.

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks

No, I said "faux-liage" because I like using fake plants Faux foliage. I just meant leaves in general, since usually fake plants have layers to them which work well in small enclosures like KKs.

Thanks

Ok, thanks! I'll try putting in the one I had for the 6-quart one they will eventually go into.

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs