Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding crickets

Thanks

Default Feeding crickets

I have two cresties - an 8-gram and a 5.6-gram. I've been feeding both of them strictly CGD, but I'd like to add crickets to their diet. I plan to offer crickets once per week. How many crickets would geckos of this size typically eat in one sitting? I was going to get the small crickets, and try about 4-6 crickets per gecko. I'm going to make sure they're gut-loaded. What product do you recommend for calcium dusting?

Also, what product do you use to house your crickets? How long do crickets live? And what do I need to offer/feed them to keep them alive?

TIA for your help - I'm new to this and don't want to mess it up!
    Laura
    1.1 Dogs: Dugan, Avy
    1.0 Bengal cat: Casper
    3.0 Mongolian gerbil: Rex, Diggs, Geronimo
    0.0.2 Rhacodactylus ciliatus: Nyx, Carl
    RIP Indycat

Thanks

Make sure the crickets are no longer than the space between the geckos' eyes.

I'm also interested in hearing how many crickets people feed in one sitting (or one night). I often do 4-6 but I have no idea if this is good.

For dusting I use Repti-Cal+. The Repashy product is also highly recommended, just make sure you get the one recommended for dusting and with the right amount of vitamin D.

I bought a little plastic container called a "Cricket Keeper" when I bought the crickets. It has two black tubes that the crickets can climb in, and then you can just remove the tube and shake out however many crickets you want.

I feed them some sort of orange cubes that have vitamins, calcium, water, etc, and some sort of yellow soft gel that has water and calcium.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

Personally, i find crickets dirty and smelly. I wouldn't feed them more than once every 2 weeks, if that, because sometimes geckos can hold out and eat those instead of their CGD. But for dusting, the Repashy ICB is supposed to be excellent.
    I have actually stopped using crickets and now feed roach nymphs, phoenix worms or silkworms.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I recommend the Repashy ICB all-in-one supplement for dusting. It's got the correct balance of calcium, vitamins and other minerals to make insects a more appropriate meal. If you feed bugs as frequently as once a week, you should use this. You can gutload crickets on specific gutloads or leftover CGD.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. Is feeding crickets once per week considered too often? Also, if I choose to feed phoenix worms instead, do I have to worry about them being gut-loaded? I should still dust them with the Repashy ICB, right?
    Laura
    RIP Indycat

Thanks

Many geckos won't eat worms. Crickets should be once per week max but no that is not too often. I also recommend the Repashy ICB as a dust. Some brands are much too high for cresties in calcium and d3 so it is safer to stick to the Repashy since it is designed specifically for cresties. I feed about 3 or 4 per gecko but mine tend to be on the small size - the number I feed will vary with the size of the crickets used.
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

I have a cricket week and a non-cricket week.

week 1: crickets ( 3-5 per gecko) offered on Mon & Thurs
    week 2: no bugs, just cdg

I found the little ones grow way faster if they get some bugs. I tried waxworms once, and found it was way harder to get the geckos to take them b/c they move less than the crickets.

For the worms, I'd kind of "plop" it down in front of their face, and then they'd be interested. (My geckos eat their bugs in small Tupperware containers, so I don't have random bugs in their real tanks).

Thanks

Good to know that they might not go for the worms. I think I'll stick with crickets to start. Thanks so much, Sarah for the schedule you posted. So you offer 3-5 crickets on Monday and another 3-5 crickets on Thursday? I was planning to offer the crickets in a KK - should I put paper towel down for substrate when I'm feeding?
    Laura
    RIP Indycat

Thanks

If crickets are in the tank the following morning after feeding them to your gecko many people remove them from the tank because they can bite your gecko. This way you also won't overfeed crickets to your gecko.
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

Yes, 3-5 on Mon and 3-5 on Thurs.

I have one little gecko that really isn't into bugs as well. He'll take 2 maybe and then be done w/ them.

I have 2 adults, one will take bugs and one won't eat them at all.

I really do recommend feeding the bugs in a separate container for a few reasons. 1) you need to move the gecko into the separate cage so I check for health issues when I do that. 2) I weight them on occasion, 3) The extra crickets can't bite your gecko. 4) No gross dead bugs in your nice set up.

Have fun!