Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cats and Geckos

Thanks

Keep the geckos in your bedroom, and let the cat have run of the rest of the apt. its honestly not fair to expect a cat not to want to hunt and climb and try and get at these small fast moving prey animals. The temptation is really too hard for most felines to resist. I agree with Tiedyegecko, a cat free zone is safest for all involved. Cats are smart and determined.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

I live with 6 cats (5 male and 1 female) and lots of geckos. The only fatality involving the cats was due to a faulty cage which the gecko escaped from. I take total responsibility for that because I did not notice that the screen wasnt attached on one side. I do discourage them from staring at them or pawing at the cage with a water bottle and a warning noise.. If I make the noise (sort of a loud hiss) and the dont get away they get squirted.. after a while they just leave with the noise. The only concern I would have with cats is that if you have a zoomed or exo terra cage, they could potentially rip a hole in the light screening (my cats are too lazy for that). I use mostly metal screen tops so this isnt an issue. They do often sleep on them (for the heat) and a flimsy screen could potentially break from a big cats weight.

Keep in mind when you are getting a cat that females tend to be more inclined to hunt..
    "If we were to one day encounter a form of life more powerful and intelligent than our own, and it regarded us as we regard fish, what would be our argument against being eaten?" -Johnathan Saffron Foer

iHerp
    https://www.facebook.com/StickySideUpGeckos

Thanks

Ditto what Tiedyegecko and Saille said.

We have 2 cats and a dog. They will all bring us "presents" in the summer from outdoors, and they all take seriously their job to keep our house rodent-free (except for the ones we invite in, i.e., Theodore the Chipmunk). I would not risk the life of any pet by testing whether the cats know what is prey and what is a beloved family member.

Last summer's "chipmunk room" has now become the "gecko room". That door is kept closed and is off-limits to unsupervised non-human mammals. If there is a human in the room then the door may be left open, but when the human leaves the room, the human must make sure no cats remain in the room. (The dog is kinda hard to miss and she will automatically follow you from room to room anyway.)

It also helps that the cages are pretty secure (the Zilla fresh air atrium), and in a place that is not easy to climb or jump to. I don't think our cats would be able to get through the screen or get a door open.

Also, one further safety feature (sort of) is that the cats are much more interested in the crickets. And for some reason we keep the crix KKs on the floor. Where the cats go to, rather than the gecko cages, which never have anything moving when a cat is in the room.

Instead of killing a gecko, our cats are more likely to release a dozen crickets. Hmmm. Wise choice? Debatable. lol
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

I have a curious cat and a new VERY curious kitty!! My geckos are all in glass enclosures, so kitties can't get in! I don't worry about it. The ONLY thing I have issues with is the kitty sitting ON TOP of the screen tops. A kitty could EASILY fall through or get through a screen top from an all acreen cage or a exo or zoo med terrarium. I had it happen once....luckily I was standing right there!
    Now they are on shelves with no room between the screens and shelves for kitties!

Dana
    Custom Backgrounds & Terrariums/Tanks www.danasdesigns.weebly.com
    3.4.3.4 Cresties, 0.2 Corn snake, 1.1 Kitties

Thanks

@danar1977- nice shelving unit! did you buy it or make it yourself?

and well, i got the cat. she's on the smaller side. shes full grown and doesnt weigh much, she hasnt climbed on anything (yet) and even if she decided to sit on the tanks, i have the heavier metal screen lids and i dont forsee her falling through. so far she's just ignored the tanks.
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko-Zuko, Spaz, and Wretch
    1.1.0Crested Gecko - Sokka and Suki
    0.1.0 African Fat Tail Gecko- Appa
    1.0.0 Tokay Gecko - "Kamikazi"

Thanks

Yeesh

I would have gotten another gecko & glued fur on it..

Kats+geckos = trouble..
    3.1.0 Cresties 1.1.1 Cats 1.1.0 Kids

Peace
    Jay

Thanks

So long as the cat can't knock the tanks off the shelves, pull the shelving over, or sit on the screen tops, you should be fine. My two tanks are high enough that the tops are at about eye level (I'm 5'5"), so my cat has never attempted to jump on top. I don't know that he could. I suppose a very athletic cat could, like a Savannah. Even though your screen tops seem sturdy, you might want to find something like a shelf to put over them just to be careful. Maybe go to the hardware store and get a few sturdy pieces of wood. Since they won't rest flush with the screen, the tank will still have airflow. That way you've covered all your bases.

My cat is more interested in the plants growing in the gecko tanks, since I once tried planting cat grass in the tanks. The stuff grows too tall and flops over though, so I wouldn't suggest bothering unless you feel like keeping it clipped down. Plus it withers and dies after a few weeks. The cat enjoyed the clippings though. XD

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

Thanks

Lets hope that your female cat is one of the ones who isn't as interested in hunting. But yes, I have to agree, in my experience, its been the females, not the boys who are more hunter-prey-oriented. Best of luck with kitty!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

shes been home for a day now and shes shown no interest in the tanks. she just kinda looks in them, and continues on her way. she's more of an attention whore kitty lol
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko-Zuko, Spaz, and Wretch
    1.1.0Crested Gecko - Sokka and Suki
    0.1.0 African Fat Tail Gecko- Appa
    1.0.0 Tokay Gecko - "Kamikazi"