Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats and Geckos

Thanks

Default Cats and Geckos

So im moved out on my own, i have 5 geckos...all have them on a 4 shelf wire rack that i got from menards...i think target had them too, any who you can find them anywhere.

I plan on getting a cat (or two...two is the max). i was wondering what other precautions i should take to ensure this future feline(s) doesnt try to eat my lizards. I plan on getting those things that go around pipes for outside and securing them to the wall for my rack so it will be more stable and less apt to fall over because the cat decided to go mountian climbing. all my tanks have screens with screen clips, and i have one exo terra tank that locks.

not sure what else i need. any ideas? stories?

is there anything you want me to know about cats? (and dont spaz on my and tell me to not get a cat because you dislike them. thanks!)

Thank you! sorry its a long post.
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko-Zuko, Spaz, and Wretch
    1.1.0Crested Gecko - Sokka and Suki
    0.1.0 African Fat Tail Gecko- Appa
    1.0.0 Tokay Gecko - "Kamikazi"

Thanks

I have 2 cats and so far no gecko fatalities or tail loss (only tail loss during thunderstorms or loud banging noises in the house, not from cat attacks). Here's a video of one of my cats attempting to try and unsuccessfully raid a gecko enclosure. No cats or geckos were harmed during the taping of this footage.
    View My Video

Thanks

aww, thats cute, what size containers are you using?

Thanks

These ones, for my juvies, 19 qt rubbermaidens
    http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...atName=Storage
    31 qt for the adults

These things are bulletproof though, I mean seriously you could probably put a bomb in them and they wouldnt break.

Thanks

Kittens in particular are rather destructive and very curious animals, so unless you adopt a really mellow older shelter cat, or get a Scottish fold, (mellow sweet cats) honestly the best thing you could do imho is to have a "cat-free-zone" for the little geckos to live in.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

You can always spray your cats in the face with water bottle every time they go near the geckos enclosures also, that sort of gives them a negative correlation. Or just keep the doors closed to the gecko room whenever you're not home.

Thanks

The very first geckos I bought from Matt here on pangea all became kitty food. I found tails and other pieces threwout my bedroom. Hes a good cat, older and not a climber. He won't even get on the couch so I was very surprised when he scaled my shelf and killed my new juvies.

Geckos need to 100% be in a kitty free zone. You never know how a cat will react to them and it's better safe than sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiedyegecko View Post
    The very first geckos I bought from Matt here on pangea all became kitty food. I found tails and other pieces threwout my bedroom.
    Oh geez....Pangea Pussy Gecko Massacre...wait, that doesn't sound so, not right...nevermind. (slaps forehead & runs away)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces8326 View Post
    You can always spray your cats in the face with water bottle every time they go near the geckos enclosures also, that sort of gives them a negative correlation. Or just keep the doors closed to the gecko room whenever you're not home.
    eeehhh... sees i live in an apartment. the only place that had hardwood floor for my reptile rack is where my kitchen table is supposed to go. (dont have one, so i have a reptile rack instead of a kitchen table)

i planned on anchoring the rack to the wall to keep it from tipping over.

maybe a sheet over the whole rack too when im not home?

Thanks

a sheet wouldn't work...buy a cheap bookcase that has the back and sides covered. I have one I bought for like 35 bucks made by Sauder that has held up fairly well for me. You can buy them at any major retailer, target, wally world, etc. etc.
    you can also just buy sheets of particle board @ home depot, but that's a lot of work and can end up costing even more than the precut shelving units once you buy all the parts and the labor that goes along with it (I learned the hard way when I tried to do this for a leopard gecko rack, that sh*t is heavy yo!).
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHUQ8wIwBQ#