Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand new to crested geckos

Thanks

Default Brand new to crested geckos

I have a couple quick questions. I am getting a gecko friday and am setting up the tank today. The tank I bought on CL is a new exo terra 18x18x24 for 40 bucks!! So the gex I'm getting is going to be a few months old and they are tiny.! Is the tank to big? I mean I saw it for 40 with Rock background and couldn't pass it up! As for the inside I'm wanting to use Eco earth topped with a layer of flukers moss and Eco earth mixed. I will be feeding trex CGD and crix but the crix will be in a separate feeding tank just like I do with my bearded dragons. I am buying flukers bend a branch and 4 suction cup plants and some fake ivy vine. I'll be using some real branches that I've baked and some bamboo sticks across the sides as perches. I'll also be buying some fake ground plants and a small hide. For CGD I'm ordering the magnetic food bowl online cause no store has it. How does this sound. Oh also I'll be using a 2.0 UVB bulb and I need some help on which best light to use, blue or red? And yes I need one my house gets down to the low as in 61-63 at night. Please let me know how I'm doing on all this any advice is welcome!!!! Thanks guys!

Thanks

First of all Welcom to the addicti... Uhh I mean Hobby I would suggest starting your little guys in a medium to large sized Kritter Keeper (Aka KK in forum "slang"). Also I would keep them on paper towels until they are well started and you can tell that they are eating and pooping. CGD & Crickets sounds great, Just make sure the little guys do not get to many crickets compared to there CGD because they will make a preferance to the crickets and hold out just for them ignoring there CGD. Your decor sounds perfect, Just keep in mind they love to jump and climb when your putting it all together. I have never personally used Matt's magnetic food bowls, But I have never heard anything but good things about them. Crestie's really do not need a UVB even though some people use them, its not a required accessory for the little guy. Lower 60*'s are okay as long as they do not stay there for a long time, I know my house drops around there and the only time I use a light is when its that cold during the day. Good luck with your new little guy!
    2.0.0 Crested Geckos
    -Stanley, Screwie Louie

RIP My baby girl Lilian, And now Ace my boy. I love you both...

Thanks

Well thanks so much. Question is it ok to keep him/her in an 18x18x24 this young though? I really wanna set it up and everything so bad plus I don't need a critter keeper so it would go to waste when I'm done. Thanks for the quick reply! Also I'm wondering is a fog waterfall a god idea? I think it looks awesome and I would love one in there? I wonder if babies even like alot of stuff in their homes or do they Like it simple at that age. These babies are like 2 months old and they were maybe 2 inches long so this tank is huge! I'm only getting one first but really wanna put them in the full size terrarium.
    ******* my spelling sucks because I'm on an iPhone that keeps changing words and missing letters as I type I'm sorry for the terrible grammar. I also am rushing because I'm on my phone. Any future posts will read much better!

Thanks

That cage is probably a little big, you could still set it up for looks and keep him in a smaller container for 2-3 more months. Also, the fog waterfalls aren't a very good idea. I have one i've tried to use, but the fog makes it to humid and they are breeding grounds for bacteria. They certainly look great, but honestly they aren't worth it. I took mine out after 3 months and it now just sits on the floor under my work desk.
    www.altitudeexotics.com

For our latest news and updates, follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Altitu...29735193753504

Thanks

The kk is great to have for cage cleaning days and if you every need to take them to the vet. I always keep a empty one on hand, It wont go to waste if you have one.

Thanks

So I just picked up 4 hanging plants 2 bend a branches some CGD, food bowl, a brick of Eco earth, anything else I would need? Oh ya and moss... Any other hints? Night lights, anything?

Thanks

Well you won't need the Eco Earth or anything at the moment because it is really quite necessary to keep new geckos on paper towel at the beginning. Also, I might add that if you are getting more than one gecko each needs to be quarantined for up to 3 months.

Thanks

So why is it so bad to have a baby in a standard setup?

Thanks

Rhacs do better as babys in smaller setups because they have an easyer time finding food. The smaller the space the more food they eat the quicker they grow. Also more space tends to stress them out when there as small as your discribing. I wouldn't suggesting putting a crestie into an 18x18x24 untill it's atleast 15 grams. Bigger is not better when it comes to babys.

I'd suggest you keep your baby in a medium to large size kritter keeper with paper towels untill he's old enough to live in his adult cage. I realize you caught the cage on deal and you don't wanna wait a year to use it but it's whats best for your animal.

Thanks

So why is it so bad to have a baby in a standard setup?
    The main reason is access to food and water. If they can't find their food they won't eat. As they get older/larger seeking out food will become easier. I've seen people put 2-3 gram geckos in a 20-30 gallon tank, but when I ask if the little one is eating they can't tell if there has been any CGD eaten(sometimes you can't at that age) and looking for tiny droppings in all that foliage is a pain, which gets even harder with a non-paper towel substrate.

So my opinion is the KK is less than 10 bucks and well worth it to know you have a happy, healthy gecko.
    -Aaron

R. Ciliatus,R. Chahoua(P.I. & Mainland)

Buyer Reviews:
    http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=237728