Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need feeding feedback...

Thanks

Default I need feeding feedback...

Who has had success with "alternative" crested foods such as "Crested Gecko Diet" MRP? How long does this product keep once mixed with water? How is it fed -- do the geckos go to a dish, is it hand/syringe fed?

I assume that this products provides adequate calcium and other necessary stuff. It would be great to use this product as the primary source of nutrition as to reduce the maintenance and better ensure the health of the pet(s). I would still plan to provide calcium fortified crickets as a treat -- i just don't want to breed those stinky things in my basement.

Are caught moths a good treat for cresteds?

I will purchase at least one adult crested this week and want to have a leg up on my feeding routine.

Thanks

Don't use ANY caught insects, period. Not only can they be full of parasites, they could have walked through pesticide earlier in the day, and especially in the case of moths, they could be poisonous. A single lightning bug can kill an adult bearded dragon sometimes before it even swallows the bug. Imagine what that would do to your much smaller crestie.

As for MRP, I used it for months on my first crestie. She hated the taste (even mixed with baby food) and would hardly eat it. I also had problems with her calcium levels, even with additional supplememntation. That said, lots of people keep their geckos on it and they do fine. I just prefer Clark's diet. I switched her to Clark's Frugivorous Diet and she loves the stuff, and it smells great to me too. (See the other threads in this forum for info.) I love the ease of prepared diets.

As for crix, try roaches instead.
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'll explore your other product suggestion. As for roaches, I'm sorry. I just can't go there. I think there would be a greater chance of those escaping than crickets. True they are both insects, BUT roaches are just nasty.

Thanks

I also tried the T-Rex CGD and couldn't get my geckos to even look at it twice. However, after switching over to Clark's, they snarf the stuff up. Smells great, looks great, and cresteds pig out on it. :wink:
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

I can vouch for clarks diet also. I even have a male who's about 10 months old who never ate anything but the T-Rex diet from the breeder he was produced by and came to me healthy but not heavy. Since I've switched to Clarks he's put on some good weight along with all of my other geckos but the transition from CGD to Clarks diet was instantaneous.

I agree with Rangergrrl that feeding wc bugs is a bad idea for the reason of possible pesticide contamination and poisonous insects. I know that in crickets most (if not all) parasites won't actually transfer to the gecko because the system of the reptile is so drastically different from that of the insect (paraphrasing from Dr. Alan here). I would assume that the same applies to wild caught insects.
    -Marina York-

4.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (B)
    1.0.0 ball python
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.2.0 leopard geckos

Thanks

Clark's it is!

I have not been able to find a working site to order from him. Can someone PLEASE send me a link? How much is his product? What are the sizes he uses?

Still how long does it keep? Can uneaten portions be refrigerated?

Thanks

Let's see.... (lots of questions)
    His web site is under construction right now so you can't go to it at the moment. If you PM him (username clarksgeckos) or midwestherps you can get some. midwestherps is his major distributor, I think.

I bought a 4X4" bag of the diet from him at Daytona for $5; I don't know what other sizes/prices/shipping are. You mix it up and it is ready to go; I have never tried keeping the "leftovers". Better to make it fresh every time, IMO.
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about uneaten portions. If the geckos don't eat their diet the stuff is usually pretty solid by morning. My only recommendation would be to start buying little disposable portion cups for feeding. Clarks Diet is awesome stuff but it hardens up and is hard to scrub out of dishes :wink: .
    -Marina York-

4.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (B)
    1.0.0 ball python
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.2.0 leopard geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geckoguyatl
    Clark's it is!

I have not been able to find a working site to order from him. Can someone PLEASE send me a link? How much is his product? What are the sizes he uses?

Still how long does it keep? Can uneaten portions be refrigerated?
    I'm in the process of designing Clark's website for him. You can pm Clark for some, visit Midwestherp's site to get some, or you can order it off of my website as well. (Finally got my "Clark's Diet" page up.) :wink: :P
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

I saw the info about Clark's products yesterday, but did not see a way to order -- like a shopping cart. To order through you should I just email you? How will you accept payment? I had no luck with clark's site.

I am picking up my gecko Friday...if it is still there. I can't wait to be on of the picture posters on this forum.