Thread: sick gecko

Thanks

Default sick gecko

So I'm posting this for a friend of mine back in BC. who doesnt have internet at the moment. She has had her gecko since 3 months of age in early 2010, got it from a reputable breeder, and until recently has been in tip top health.

She finally got her second gecko 3 weeks ago and had it qaurentined for 2 weeks before adding it to the tank with this female. when she went to feed the girls tonight the gecko was lethargic, eyes sunken in, tail looked slightly wavy, and this normally chill, rambunctious gecko bit her as she wastaken outta the tank to see what was up. Her mouth is slightly open as well

Ive told her to separate the 2 (she already had thankfully) and apprently theres no one in cresten (she just moved there 4 months ago) that does reptile care. the only vet they have is "away" until after christmas apparently. The other new gecko is still very alert, inquisitive and nice and plump. Anyways any thoughts on what it is or how she can try and help keep this new one sick free considering it has now been exposed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Shelly
    6.6.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0.0 African Fat-Tailed Gecko
    2.0.0 Boston Terriers
    Lots of people talk to animals.. Not very many listen, though.. That's the problem. ~Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Thanks

I'm no expert so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon. But the first things that come to my mind are:

(1) Two weeks isn't a very long quarantine. Maybe the new one gave something to the first one.

But I don't think that would cause these symptoms so quickly. (How long were they together before the first guy started appearing lethargic?)

(2) Wavy tail, mouth slightly open (jaw can't close properly?) - sounds like MBD. In which case it is just a coincidence that the new gecko appeared at the same time. What does your friend use for food?

There are pics in a sticky post here that show the effects of MBD. There's also a horrible video that shows a poor gecko near death that couldn't close his mouth. The lower jaw was floppy and hung open. Not open like a controlled gape (with a firm, straight but open lower jaw) but rather the lower jaw was floppy and curved open.

Is this what your friend meant by the mouth being slightly open?

(3) The two geckos could also be fighting and/or under stress when together. The first guy could be injured, or maybe the stress exacerbated the MBD.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Thanks

She sent me a pic not 2 weeks ago and tail was not wavy at all. I have a rescue gecko with MBD, first thing I asked but no gecko is able to close it's mouth fine.

Gecko was fine this morning as well when she went to mist the tank (hanging on vines etc) it was all apparently within the time she left work to when she went to feed. She feeds them CGD. She's apparently not even moved on bit? Just last in on place. Wouldn't touch her food. I told her to try and get her to take fluids by misting her so shell lick it off but as far as she can tell hasn't done that either?

Been together for a week. I didn't know what to say because like you said symptoms were so sudden. You'd expect the other to have symptoms too.

I think your last suggestion makes perfect sense. Although I can't say much either until she gets me those pictures.
    Shelly
    6.6.1 Crested Geckos
    2.0.0 Boston Terriers
    Lots of people talk to animals.. Not very many listen, though.. That's the problem. ~Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Thanks

Hmmm.

Ok, another possibility would be parasites. Maybe the new one is infected but has a strong enough immune system that it still appears healthy. That might explain the lethargy and sunken eyes. There were a few threads a month or so ago about parasites. I think one gecko died, it came on fairly suddenly. One of the last symptoms was dilated pupils or uneven pupils.

The open mouth might indicate a problem breathing, so an RI. There's currently another thread discussing this for another gecko.

Again, I am no expert. Hopefully someone else will come along.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks

ya hopefully, Ithink the main thing she was worried about was losing both to this. if we can figure out what it might be maybe it can be treated for both geckos. I told her to just stay as positive as can be! only crappy thing is she cant get me pictures iuntil after work tomorrow when she can get to a computer
    Shelly
    6.6.1 Crested Geckos
    2.0.0 Boston Terriers

Thanks

Stress of a new gecko in the house I'd wager..

Separate them hopefully fingers crossed she gets better quick..After that introduce them again but out of their houses like out on the table or something let them 'sniff" each other out & see if the new one is beating on her other one..

If she isnt getting better with the new one out of her space how far is Creston to any other town with a good vet..?
    3.1.0 Cresties 1.1.1 Cats 1.1.0 Kids

Peace
    Jay

Thanks

Was the new one a male by chance? My male, when put with a female, mated her so hard, she lost nearly 10 grams in less than a week.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

No both females both around the same age too... Ugh bad news is the gecko passed away.. poor thing. The other female is thriving still? i just dont know what it could have been. I feel sorry for katlyn (my friend). She loves her cresties.

The only herp vet in her area was in cranbrook 2 hours away and that was the one not in. I'm calling her tomorrow to ask a few more questions. I wonder is maybe she wasnt being thorough with tank cleaning.. ive met a few people that just pick up any poop and spray it out with their water bottle and call that cleaning the tank.

I just find it so bizaar because youd think the other one would atleast show some sort of sign somethings going on? but apparently its eating like a pig too! I told her to call a vet elsewhere and see what they reccommend she can do from home to possible prevent the other one from becomming sick as well?
    Shelly
    6.6.1 Crested Geckos
    2.0.0 Boston Terriers

Thanks

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear it died!

Wow, that happened so fast, it makes me wonder again about parasites. Could your friend get some medicine, something similar to the N-fix and E-fix which have unfortunately been discontinued? Maybe there's a vet who would prescribe and send her some?

There's a vet who you can send a stool sample to and he will diagnose whether you have parasites. I think he's in the states though, so that would take longer (if in fact you could even send stool samples across the border!). Maybe there's one in Canada?

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs