Thread: ** Breeding Questions

Thanks

Question ** Breeding Questions

Hi, I have owned crested geckos for a couple years and have been lurking on these forums for quite some time now. I currently own 2 males, 4 females, and 2 unsexed juveniles. I'll post some pictures of my cresteds later on when I get a chance. In the meanwhile, I just had a few questions about breeding.

I contemplated breeding last year but due to time restraints and what not decided to hold off. My schedule has since freed up and I spend the last year researching and preparing myself to start breeding. My reasons for wanting to breed are not financially inclined, but rather stem from my love for rhacs. If I make a few dollars it will go directly to maintaining my collection and perhaps adding a few more to it. I decided to start with a 1.2 group so I don't overwhelm myself. I have all the necessary setups and space all ready to go for the new hatchlings. I have also organized for a local reptile shop to take on any that I can't find new homes for.

I plan on keep my breeding group in an 18x18x24 exo terra and I was wondering:

1) Do I need to provide a separate lay box for each female or will one large lay box suffice?

2) Will the male copulate with both females in the tank or has anyone experienced a situation where he will have a preference for one over the other (lol)?

3) For those who keep gravid females in the same enclosure, how do you know which females lay which eggs? Or would it be best to separate them when gravid?

4) After witnessing a few copulations, would it be best to remove the male from the group as to not stress out the females? If so, after how long should the male be removed?

** Sorry for the long post and thank you to those who actually read through it.

Thanks

I woudl honestly start with 1.1, because even with 2 females breeding, it is ridiculously easy to get overwhelmed.
    Also, with just one breeding pair, you have absolute control over who the parents are. People seem to be becoming more interested in lineage these days, so this covers you in that area as well.
    In short, yes, a male can and will mate with any and everything he can. Think of a teenage boy with raging hormones and access to a bunch of willing slutty little girls.
    You need to make sure your animals are up to proper breeding weight, its best to post pics of the animals in question to even see if there's interest in the morphs you're working with, (if you plan on selling them) and you need ot have a separate enclosure to put the male in just in case he does get over-zealous in his breeding. How soon after copulating depends on the geckos.
    Keep in mind these geckos can retain sperm for 9 months or so after an initial breeding and separation. Which means yes, they can keep laying fertile eggs after even just one successful breeding.
    Do a search on Breeding, there are tons of helpful threads!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Yes, there's so much useful information on here. I've already gone through hours worth of reading!

All my males have their own enclosures so he will have a setup to go back into if I need to separate him. I have the females in pairs in 18x18x24 exo terras. I have a couple extra tanks on hand and sterilite bins all setup for the babys.

My females all weigh between 42-47 grams and the males are between 37-42 grams so they should be good to go. The 1.2 group that I plan to breed this spring focus on cream backs. I'll try to get pics up tonight when I get home.

I feel prepared for 1.2 as I have the setups all ready to go and a local pet shop to take on any babies I can't handle. But I do appreciate the suggestion of breeding 1.1 to start and I will consider it over the next couple months.

Thanks

You can't really know which female laid the eggs unless you happen to catch one of the females in the act, or if you notice one female is slimmer than the other.

I plan on breeding 1.1 for my first season, but should I breed more females, I would seperate them all once they started getting close to laying. I would just have to know who the mother was! :3

I've never bred my geckos, but as far as leaving the male in it seems like it varies from person to person. Some leave them in all season, some all year, some only in the beginning of the season. The main thing I've taken away from what other people have said is to watch for signs of stress in the females in case the male is a little too aggressive. I'm sure there's someone else who could give you better advice.

Good luck with your season!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saille View Post
    a male can and will mate with any and everything he can. Think of a teenage boy with raging hormones and access to a bunch of willing slutty little girls.
    LMAO! That is so true
    2.3.2.? rhacodactylus ciliatus (Crested Geckos) Koda, Lilly, Drogo, Khaleesi, Jax, Arya, Snow, Tywin, Cersei Picasso, Tyrion, Viserys

1 Gargoyle Gecko: Quazi
    Video of our Crested Gecko Room
    http://youtu.be/TxQr2n1n6v4

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. So basically there is no way of knowing which females laid which eggs unless I inspect and keep a careful/watchful eye every night or I separate the females closer to the time eggs are expected. And whether or not I separate the male is a "it depends" situation. Could someone with a similar breeding setup address whether or not I should provide separate layboxes or if just one large lay box will be enough. Thanks!

Thanks

One decent sized laybox should suffice. However, I have a question: Are your tanks planted? Or do they already have substrate in there? if so, what kind? I have a very simple set up, paper towel substrate, and I provide a plastic salad box filled wiht organic peat soil and a layer of sphagnum moss on top. My girls lay in that just fine, but its really the only thing in there for them to "dig and burrow" into.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

The tank is not planted but it is a naturalistic looking setup with a coco husk/eco earth mix substrate. I am thinking I will replace this substrate with either paper towels or rubber mats once breeding season comes around to encourage the females to use the lay box so I don't have to go scavenging for eggs lol.

Thanks

My prego girl laid in her lay box and the other girl hangs out in there sometimes. She just like to practice digging. I think she wants to be like my older girl. So, I would say one lay box per duo.

I have been thinking of this same issue, the only way to be 100 percent is to not place your females together.

Another way to figure out who laid what is to keep an accurate weight on your girls. When you find eggs, weigh em and who ever weighs less than before is your candidate.

Of course, if they lay close to one another you may be screwed. Ha either way it will be a challenge. I definitely recommend weighing them that is unless you want to set up some more inclosure.
    2.3.2.? rhacodactylus ciliatus (Crested Geckos) Koda, Lilly, Drogo, Khaleesi, Jax, Arya, Snow, Tywin, Cersei Picasso, Tyrion, Viserys

1 Gargoyle Gecko: Quazi
    Video of our Crested Gecko Room
    http://youtu.be/TxQr2n1n6v4