Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need feedback with experience

Thanks

Default Need feedback with experience

There are some sites that say you can house males together without a female, some say they will fight and hurt each other, some say 50-50. I felt I needed some feedback from people with more experience. And some clarification before I make an addition to my family.
    Jeremy

1[Krakatoa].0.0 Crested Geckos

1.0.0 Very jumpy Sarasinorum Gecko[Rascal]

Geckoholism comes in many shapes and sizes, for me, that shape is an adolescent who can't buy more geckos

Thanks

It's pretty much as you've read. Some people have luck with it, some people don't. If you choose to house two males together, be prepared to separate them just in case; if you are not in a position to have a second enclosure on-hand, I personally would not risk it. You would also need quarantine time before combining them as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    It's pretty much as you've read. Some people have luck with it, some people don't. If you choose to house two males together, be prepared to separate them just in case; if you are not in a position to have a second enclosure on-hand, I personally would not risk it. You would also need quarantine time before combining them as well.
    What Jaybee said and then if you were to house a female together you risk breeding and babies, Crested females can lay like 8 clutches a piece of 2 eggs... so you would also need to potentially be able to incubate and house hatchlings if you chose to house them together.

Thanks

IMO its really not a good idea to risk it. If you really want to consider their healthy and well being its not worth it.
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

I have seen the results of two males housed together and I would not do it, personally.
    In my experience, I had two clutchmates at 3 grams posturing and threatening each other. Sure enough, they were both male! I was quick to separate them as soon as there was an issue, so thankfully, no harm done at all. But Personally, I would not risk it at all, for their health and well being. Geckos don't really need friends...
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Thank you all, I was unsure and i also did not have the money currently to pay for another cage and the hides and such. But I was also wondering if females will keep mating with males if housed together.
    Jeremy

Geckoholism comes in many shapes and sizes, for me, that shape is an adolescent who can't buy more geckos

Thanks

Yes they will mate with the males if kept in the same cage.

Thanks

thank you
    Jeremy

Thanks

I had two boys that were housed together growing up from about 4months old to a year old. Never had trouble with them fighting, they were always curled up together in the hide I had for them. Then I took them out and put them each with a female for a few months. They were happy as can be with their new girl friends. I was rearranging all the geckos after that season and didnt have enough cages so put them together so I could go to the store. I was gone 1/2hr tops, when I came back one was dead and the other was so badly injured he died not long after I got home. It was a mistake I have never repeated again.

Once they get to about 6months I would seperate any suspected boys because that is when I have seen biting amongst my juvies.
    ------------------------------------------
    StarGecko
    2.0 Human Kids
    0.1 Canine Kid
    5.7.36.0 cresteds
    View my breeding pairs and see the babies at
    Star Geckos of California Website
    Star Geckos of California Facebook Page

Thanks

this is a recent thread that deals with this exact same question:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43285