Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you make $ breeding dubia roaches?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goReptiles View Post
    I wouldn't keep more than 500 in one tub bc Dubia get bigger than other roaches.
    They actually do better and reproduce more in cramped setups believe it or not. I'd guess there were 20-30k in this tub.

Thanks

I did really well breeding in much less cramped setups. I guess u just have to figure out what works for you.

To me that Roach bin does not look safe, healthy, or good in any degree. In a way, I look at it like when you cramp animals, they generally dont end up healthy as disease will flourish.

Thanks

To me that Roach bin does not look safe, healthy, or good in any degree. In a way, I look at it like when you cramp animals, they generally dont end up healthy as disease will flourish.
    Well in this case you are wrong. There is nothing even remotely close to unsafe about the setup, I never even kept a lid on it and never had a problem in the 4+ years I have bred them. It is also very easy to see they are healthy. All of the males you can see have full wings with no nips or chunks missing (nipping occurs when a colony is malnourished), the females were all fat and healthy. Their diet was awesome. There was 0 unnatural dead loss from disease of any kind and the colony produced some 1200 babies a week. And another interesting thing is you WANT to leave the roach poo in there for periods of time because the babies eat that at first when they are born.

Keeping roaches in a cramped setup is NOWHERE NEAR the same as keeping animals in cramped setups, that comparison is ridiculous. Roaches thrive in setups where they can be close together and all over each other. Setups like this are very common. Most of my friends that breed roaches (some bigger dealers) keep them in the exact same manner with just as much success.

Thanks

I did not say it was the same thing. I said I look at it as the same.

I am not and did not say anything bad about your setup or care. Just said housing fewer per tub worked just fine for me.

I was just throwing out my opinion in that 25000 roaches per tub is a lot in my opinion, and in my opinion that doesn't sound like a good number. In my opinion that is over crowded, but it works for you.

To each is his own, and whatever works for you is how you keep them. Each keeper will keep them a little different and no one way is right. That is all I was saying.

In your opinion, does over crowding work for all Roach species? You are the only person I have heard of using this technique.

Thanks

I am not and did not say anything bad about your setup or care. Just said housing fewer per tub worked just fine for me.
    Huh? Ok if you saying the bin does not look safe, healthy, or good in any degree is not saying something bad about my setup, then what is?
    To me that Roach bin does not look safe, healthy, or good in any degree.

Thanks

I said to me it doesn't look safe, but in no way did I say u were wrong to over crowd or that your tub was dirty, your roaches looked sick, or anything. I merely gave my opinion that it didn't LOOK as though that would be safe or healthy

Thanks

I have seen plenty of threads from people over the years wondering why their colony is not producing as expected and the larger setup is always the culprit. Will roaches breed in a big setup with lower numbers? Yes, yes they will. But once they moved their colony down a step in tub size and provided a setup where they can crowd all over themselves their offspring production exploded. They actually thermo-regulated themselves as well and I did not have to provide heat very often because they made it on there own quite well. There is no difference in health between the setups ether, fed a proper diet both ways will produce babies, but one will out do the other by a large margin.

Thanks

Thats all I was asking. I didn't mean to upset you or make you think I was criticizing. I was just saying it doesn't look pretty, so to speak, but we all know that sometimes ugly has surprises.

So do you think by crowding my lateralis they will breed better than they have been, which has been decent for the time I've had them.

Thanks

Is there a page you guys know of that has all this info? I'll try to google some stuff, but last time I tried I didn't come up with any solid info.
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!
    1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
    1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
    1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Thanks

What sort of info are you looking for?