Thread: For those Who Keep Bug Colonies:

Thanks

Question For those Who Keep Bug Colonies:

This is directed more towards B. DUBIA ROACH colonies but all answers welcome.

1: How often do you clean your colonies housing?
    2: What is your cleaning method?
    3: What is your setup like?

Just wanna see different methods and get ideas from other colony keepers with roaches or crickets or even meal worms.
    ♡♥♡♥Cresties are like a box of chocolates: Ya never know what Ya gonna get!!!!♡♥♡♥

Thanks

My setup is a very large plastic tub with metal lath ventilation in the lid and across the bottom. This rests in another tub. Most of the poop falls through the lath into the lower tub. The upper tub rests on pieces of Styrofoam to provide about 4 inches of clearance. Unfortunately the lath size is big enough to allow the hatchlings to pass through. Cleaning consists of moving all of the egg crate/roaches to another bin. The remaining detritus of dead roaches/live roaches then gets dumped into a different bin for sorting. The lower bin poop waste gets put into another bin with a piece of egg crate and every day I shake that piece out to get the small roaches until they are all removed. Fortunately this only has to be done every 6 months or so as long as everything stays relatively dry. If the waste poop gets damp then the screen clogs and the fruit flies explode.

Thanks

what substrate do they need and how much calcium mixed in? And finally, how long they live? I have read 10 years, but many people complain of their wild-caught specimens dying in a year or so. The supplier of mine assured me that it is captive bred, but even so it is quite large, around 11 cm.
    Thank you very much for the help.
    Unlike scam Brain Dumps.com dumps and 642-742 dumps training program, our best smith and www.northwood.edu online training courses provide you quick success in Brandeis University

Thanks

I use no substrate at all, just vertical egg carton. No calcium. No idea how long they live- when you have thousands in a tub it's impossible to know.

Thanks

Accidental post, can't get this to delete. Please disregard.
    Last edited by Ollie H; 12-31-2015 at 11:12 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollie H For This Useful Post:

Mohkia (12-31-2015)