Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you make $ breeding dubia roaches?

Thanks

Default Do any of you make $ breeding dubia roaches?

I know this might be a wrong place to post this question but I didn't know where else to ask.....

Many people seems to have more than one reptiles and if you ask me, having them is wonderful experience.

I absolutely love my CG and I wish to have more in the future.
    But $ is the problem. Not that I don't have $, I just want to make more money to get more CG's and hopefully it'll even out.

So, to make more money, I did some research and it seems like dubia roaches are easy to breed and sell. The problem is I don't know how the market is doing lately.

Those of you who breed roaches...... do these little critters sell well?
    I'm not wanting to make thousands of $.... maybe like couple hundred a month.... just enough to cover my CG expenses.

Please help.... thx ^^

Thanks

You would have to sell a lot of roaches to make a couple $100 a month. The market is there for it, but you would have get a big colony going and find a balance between selling and retaining a productive colony. It can be done, but there are easier ways to make money imo. If you have the space to get a big colony going go for it and good luck!

Thanks

We sold enough roaches at the last reptile show to pay our table fee. We do really well selling them at shows and online. More and more people are learning how nice they are, so it's definitely something to think about getting into.

We are getting more and more 'bugs' only geckos all the time, so our ability to sell roaches fluxuates a lot. We have a huge colony in order to sustain our animals and sell off extras. You'd need a lot to do the same.

Thanks

The prices are dropping on them. Soon they wont be worth much more than crickets.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
    The prices are dropping on them. Soon they wont be worth much more than crickets.
    Agreed.

Thanks

The fact is to make a hundred a month on roaches, like said you would need a HUGE colony. Most people are not looking to buy 500+, most people want around 1-300 of them. I made quite a bit at the last show, but I ended up selling way more than I wanted to, and now my colony needs to rest and grow again. Looking to make a few extra bucks? Sure roaches will do that for you,looking to make some decent change, unless youre ready to be over ran with bugs, not likely
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thanks all for the good advises.
    I'll have to make decision soon. ^^

Thanks

I think in a lot of cases, people already have their bug sellers. There are a lot of people getting into breeding and selling bugs and overstock, that it is going to be a hard place to compete.

I mean I just bout 8,000 lateralis roaches for $85 shipped. $10 per 1000 and $5 shipping since I bought 8000. These are great feeders and breed ok (I had better success breeding dubia), but prices are super cheap because people get overrun with feeders.

Thanks

I've been curious about this too. I never see ads on CL for them.

Just to make a few extra bucks, what would be a rough estimate on how many you'd need? I know some people house them in those big rubbermaid storage tubs. So say maybe 2-3 of those tubs full of roaches? Or more?
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!
    1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
    1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
    1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Thanks

If you are using them for feeders and selling off some, I'd say you would need several thousand to start off.

You feed off more than you realize until you start breeding your own.

I wouldn't keep more than 500 in one tub bc Dubia get bigger than other roaches.