Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: T live tank?

Thanks

Question T live tank?

If you know me, then you know I'm TERRIFIED of spiders! But I figure if I keep one, then I can atleast come to respect them. T's that is, not the little creepy ones that watch me in the shower, causing me to slip trying to run away from the nasty lil beasty!

Anyways, if I do decide to get a big spider, I want something colorful, something to look at cause I know I won't hold it. I also want to put it in a live tank, with real plants, since its for looks only!

1) can I do live tank with a T?
    2) what is a nice colorful T?
    3) am I nuts for doing this?

More questions to come, most likely!
    0.1 Human- Kyrah, 3.1 Crested Geckos, 0.2.1 Tokay, 1.1 Uromastyx, 0.1 Ball Python, 0.0.1 leachy, 1.0 chewie/crested hybrid, 2.2 RTB, 1.0 golden gecko

Thanks

I don't have any T's but I'm drawn to the the colors of the: Chilean Rose Hair, Green Bottle Blue, and Colbalt Blue. An interesting site I've found on T's is http://www.tarantulaguide.com/ It has a lot of info on the care and habitat of the different types of T's, and of course has some really nice photos.

Thanks

Well Kyrah picked out, Indian Ornamental Tarantula (Poecilotheria regalis) and Brazilian White-banded Tarantula from the books we bought. One book is wrote by Russ Gurley and the other us wrote by Philippe de Viability. How reputable these people are in the invert workday, I have no clue! The spiders chosen by Kyrah are for looks only! They will not even be thought about, on holding terms! Also the cobalt blue is being considerd also.
    0.1 Human- Kyrah, 3.1 Crested Geckos, 0.2.1 Tokay, 1.1 Uromastyx, 0.1 Ball Python, 0.0.1 leachy, 1.0 chewie/crested hybrid, 2.2 RTB, 1.0 golden gecko

Thanks

Definatly DO NOT get an Indian Ornamental!!
    Pokies are beautiful, but should only be kept by experienced keeper.
    They are quick, aggressive and their venom is potent.
    Cobalts are also very aggressive, not for beginners, and they are burrowing spiders, so you never see them. They're one of the spiders people refer to as a pet hole, haha.
    But even if your thinking about a T just for display purposes, you still have to take into consideration that you will have to open the tank up to feed it, and there's always a chance it will get out. While tarantulas aren't deadly to healthy adults, some are capable of killing a small child or animal if bitten.

However, the Rose Hair, and the Nhandu chromatis (the Brazilian Black & White) would be good choices I just got an eggsac chock full of eggs from my Nhandu female, and my rose hair is gravid too! Also, check out the Pink Toe (Avicularia avicularia). Those are good beginner species too!

Good luck with your search!
    2.3.4.6 Crested Geckos : Napoleon, Jacques, Josephine, Angelique, Marie, Reeses, Snickers, Skittles & Starburst
    2.3.0 Dendrobates auratus Blue & Black
    3.1.0 Dendrobates leucomelas
    3.2.0 Red Eyed Tree Frogs

Thanks

Well I guess the Brazilian banded black and white wins be elimination lol I do have to say it doesn't look that bad. Here is a pic I took of the page in the book;

How much do these run, price wise? I have my own Dubias so feed is nothing to worry about.

Thanks

If you're afraid of spiders, why don't you meet up with an invert owner in your area before you buy one? Most people who own tarantulas own several species, so a visit would give you an idea of what a few commonly kept species are like.

I like my N. chromatus a ton. It's beautiful and really easy to deal with. It'll end up big and nicely colored. I got it for $20. Looks like Ken the Bug Guy is selling .25" A. geniculatas for $15 and 4" for $100. If you visit the arachnoboards.com there are probably people selling them at sizes between the two Ken has.

I agree, also, that A. avic is a great first spider. Mine rarely hides, is fun to watch, and doesn't do laps around its cage when I open it like a few of my other spiders do. B. vagans is another good starter- it's what I started with. The one I have now is really awesome.

Thanks

I don't want to hold it, just look at it LOL

Thanks

I don't hold any of mine, either. I know people who do, but they're probably much more comforable with being left alone.

Thanks

If I get the Brazilian white banded, j figure since its terrestrial that I can have a top sliding screen and drop its food in lol from that book, the care sounds a lot like a cresty too lol

Thanks

Just looked that one up and it is a beauty! Wow, can get up to 7-8" so it would make a great display T.