Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Leopard Geckos eat these...?

Thanks

Default Can Leopard Geckos eat these...?

Because im a troubled human being when it comes to deciding 3 reptiles when I can only get one, I look /deeply/ into each possible animal. KNOWING they are insectivorous, can they eat slugs, caterpillars and earthworms as staples? (either. I can provide them all 3). If they cannot I won't even bother, I want to feed the correct diet.

I've also been told that most leos will only touch live food. Is this true or not?

Thanks everyone! And sorry for the This or That threads. Picking one reptile out of many awesome ones is hard xS
    Last edited by Fai0607; 11-17-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Removed a /balancer/
    Here for consumer and seller purposes only.

Thanks

Are you buying these or catching them??

Catapillers IE hornworms are fun things to try, I personaly hate them cause they eat all my tomatoe plants! But when I buy silkworms, hornworms, or other critters, they are from breeders, NEVER feed WC bugs to any captive animal pleasee

Thanks

Oh not at all! I've been told catching wild snails (deshelled)/slugs, feed them for a few days and freezing them would kill the bacteria but im a bit skeptical about that. Better to be safe than sorry!

I was thinking more of Can 'O Snails (already deshelled) and Can 'O Pillars by Zoo Med.

The Can 'O Pillars are Hornworms? xS Hopefully my dad wouldn't care I mean they're just /dead/ caterpillars ha.

Thanks

If you get a Leo then if you can, do what I do. Get a large KK like the top one in the pic and set it up with some big pieces of bark, a pile of rocks, a live plant (something small and easy) and a low bowl of water. Get some cricket gut load for food and your all set. I put all of this on paper towels so its easy to clean.

Go to the pet store and get yourself 2 dozen small crickets. They always give you more and put then in the KK. As long as you give them fresh water, the gut load and maybe a piece of fresh lettuce they will live for weeks. You can feed your Leo a few each day or so and be good to go.

I have been doing this for about 2 months now and only get a new dozen every two or 3 weeks to keep the population up. And when I feed them to my Leo and Cresteds I know they are getting good quality food.

In my Leo cage I keep a corner covered in calcium so when the crickets go to the corner they cover themselves with the dust. Plus its like a lick spot if he ever needs it.
    Dan
    Southwest Florida

Thanks

Ah I should've mentioned that my father wouldn't allow ANY insects EXCEPT: Snails (Mollusks I know), Earthworms and Caterpillars.

However, thanks for the advice anyway! Im not even a cricket fan myself. More worm than cricket. Sadly, my dad restricts me to those three up there.

Thanks

Well now that you say that, get a Crested. You can feed it CGD and never have to ever get any insects.
    Dan
    Southwest Florida

Thanks

Yeah, Earthworms cant be fed staple can they?

I may end up with a crested anyway due to I can only feed them 3 things and Leos probably dont even eat snails. Plus I dont need to spend more money on seperate food since the bag will be shared with the Crestie and my Garg. Thanks!

Thanks

What about feeding mealworms...?

Thanks

Mealworms are what he hates the /most/, unfortunately. "Get those -censored- maggots away from me don't even think about bringing them in the house!". Exact words. Few caresheets I seen that Leos would eat earthworms and its great in protein/calcium.

Thanks

Alrighty then! Maybe a leopard gecko isn't the best choice. I have 5 and they all prefer crickets to anything else. I only have one that will tolerate any kind of worm.