Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experienced Uromastyx owners wanted

Thanks

Default Experienced Uromastyx owners wanted

Yesterday my boyfriend and I bought two Uromastyxs (red & yellow), I have worked with them for years, but have never owned or worked with them in a home setting. Here are the facts:
    -I don't know their age, but I am guessing they are about a year old
    -Both of them are male, but had been living together
    -They are living in a 40 gallon tank with a 100 watt basking bulb.
    Here is the problem I am having. The yellow one is nice and plump, active and eating. The red one however is skinny, using the yellow one as a pillow and hasn't ate yet. What can I do to plump him up?
    Anything else I need to know would be great. If you are just taking an educated guess or have not worked one on one with them (Uromastyxs), please no need to comment (I need to be giving the right information! Not trying to be mean, but the idiot we got him from didn't seem to know what he was talking about, unfortunetly.)
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |
    | 1.0.1 Bearded Dragon | 1.0 Uromastyx | 1.0 Tiger Salamander | 1.0 Sand Boa |
    | 1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko | 0.1.0 Mossy Leaftail Gecko |
    | 1.0.0 Mini Lop-Pancakes | 2.1.0 Cats- Bailey, Rufus & Abbey

Thanks

Could be bullying, stress, under lying illness.

Id get a vet checkup, and work on two tanks.

Thanks

Yeah, they are going to get checked out tomorrow. I don't think it's bullying, unless it was from the other ones. The yellow one is protective of him, but let's us handle him, so it may be his offspring ( I don't know if they are protective of offspring?) but they have got along fine so far. I just need him to eat an fatten up and I think he'll be good.
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |

Thanks

it doesnt help that more than likely they are wild caught as uromastyx, unless stated as captive bred, are always wild caught, and you know when you buy a cb as you will see it in the price youre paying on top of it all.

I would get a fecal done as the odds are good it has parasites.

More than likely it isnt his offspring, it sounds like you have a Red Saharan and a Yellow Saharan if the yellow one is lacking black in the head and limbs. Myself since it is never safe to keep males together, although it may not seem like they are stressing one another out, the fact is that stress isnt always shown, and a sick animal gets stressed even easier, one animal laying on top of another animal is a sign of dominace, it is simply passive dominance.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Your basking area needs to be HOT and a 100W bulb in a 40g won't cut it. If I recall, you need a bask area of 100-115 degrees. If a Uro is spiraling downward, it is VERY difficult to turn them around.

I'm giving you a website that has a care sheet with tons of information, plus this guy is top notch and knows his stuff: http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Care.htm

I'd still get a fecal to a qualified vet asap... Good luck.

Thanks

Agreed with Mike, Doug Dix @ Deerfernfarms really knows his Uros. Good luck!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Yeah Mike is right on, uromastyx go down hill quickly as they are often wild caught, and easily get RI's. But they do enjoy it even hotter and will tolerate it upwards of 120 degrees. I didnt see tha before about the wattage of lightbulb you are using. What are you using to read your temps with a digital, stick on, or dial thermometer?
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

We're using a dial and a digital. The temps are kept about 100-105, since I keep the reptile room to at least 75. And they have an UTH as well.
    Yesterday I soaked him and he appeared to be very dehydrated. He lapped the water up...he pooped and has ate, but very little. He has an appointment with our reptile vet for Saturday, but I am trying to find someone that can see him sooner.
    Do they administer de-wormers to reptiles (ive heard of them for tortoises and bearded dragons, but wasn't sure about other reptiles.)
    He is VERY thin, literally loose skin hanging off (that I didn't, but wish I had, noticed when we bought him.) He was very active the day we got him and I really wish I could remember the guy who sold us him, because I AM going to go after him... (let him know what his URO's are very unhealthy.)
    ..JESSICA..

Thanks

Basking for Uros needs to be 120f and you also need two spots that get that high. One for each of them. The lowest temp in the tank should be 95-90f, at the lowest. They also need a high output UVB light.

Keep the soaking to extreme cases. They should get all the water they need from food. I don't even see a point to offering a water dish but for maybe a few days a week. If your worried about hydration add food such as cactus pads into the salad. Also are you mixing in the bird seed into the salad?

As said above separate them ASAP. I don't think its parasites as they have been living together. But it could be contributing to the ones problems. Make sure to get meds for the two of them if the ones fecal turns up positive.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by electricfiction View Post
    He was very active the day we got him and I really wish I could remember the guy who sold us him, because I AM going to go after him... (let him know what his URO's are very unhealthy.)
    Please note that if you DO remember the breeder's name, it is against forum rules to post it here so keep that in mind! Any breeder complaints need to be directed to the BOI.

That said, maybe you should contact the breeder and try to work something out directly (again, if you remember who it is).