Thread: SMALL Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Default SMALL Bearded Dragon

My daughter purchased a two Bearded Dragons from Petco a month ago. The one Bearded Dragon is getting HUGE, the other one is a darker color and is VERY small and doesnt seem to be growing but at a extremely slow rate. Could it be a dwarf? it doesnt look like the normal Beardie color and is not growing? anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I would seperate them if you havent already, these guys are best when raised alone as often stress can occure, and not show its ugly head. Slow growth could be an indicator if youre feeding them in the tank, it simply isnt eating enough, that the other is getting more food. And even smaller beardies, ie ones comming from smaller adults, will still grow as quickly as one from larger parents 9 times out of 10, they just stop growing sooner. But at just a few months old, it should have still grown a decent amount, even poorly bred beardies will quite often hit 12", I had one who reached 14" and came from 2 beardies that seriously shouldnt had bred due to her and her sister had some major genetic issues going on.

So basically seperate them and keep them out of view from one another, and monitor the smaller beardies eating habits. How many crickets a day are you feeding them now as it is? What size tank? Whats he basking area temp? Are you reading that with a digital or a stick on thermometer? Do you have UVB over them? These are all important questions also.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I have experienced this several times while working in a pet store. Having one slightly bigger than the other doesn't affect them too often, just so long as you are feeding them at separate times, making sure they are both eating. Make sure you are dusting the crickets with calcium dust and that temperatures are right. UVB is really important, so you should have both a basking bulb an infrared bulb and/or heating pad, with the UVB light.
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |
    | 1.0.1 Bearded Dragon | 1.0 Uromastyx | 1.0 Tiger Salamander | 1.0 Sand Boa |
    | 1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko | 0.1.0 Mossy Leaftail Gecko |
    | 1.0.0 Mini Lop-Pancakes | 2.1.0 Cats- Bailey, Rufus & Abbey

Thanks

working at a pet store with these guys is completely different than from working with them in home. It does make a big difference as in time, the larger one will eventually take advantage of the smaller one. And quite often having such large sizes differences means the smaller can get nipped, worse yet killed. I have been raising these gusy since 1998, and I can even tell you because I worked at a pet store for 9 years, larger ones will attempt to eat smaller ones. But back to the working with them as long as I have experience, ask any good beardie owner, really any owner of any species of reptile, you dont want significant differences in sized reptiles housed together, is simply a bad move across the board with lizards.

Under tank heaters should not be used with these guys, they are not belly baskers, they are back baskers, meaning they absorb their heat through their back, not so much their belly. So this is an unneeded item. You also dont need a basking and an infrared bulb, a basking and UV light is all that is needed, or simply a mercury vapor mist bulb. All these things you are saying they need are not nessessary in raising bearded dragons.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

How big of a size difference are we talking here?

I also have been working with them for awhile and I get that over time, if one is growing faster than another, that they can get aggressive and such, but if she just got them from petco, they shouldn't be very big to begin with. Two males should not be in the same tank to begin with, but at that age, its impossible to tell sex. She never said there was any aggression (as of yet) so why separate them as of now?

I would think that she could seperate them while she was feeding, keep an eye on the weight of the little one, just to make sure he is gaining weight. If it appears that nothing is happening, then I would suggest separating them and beginning to watch his/her weight then. If it appears he is gaining weight after being seperated, then we know it was stress caused.

That's just my opinion. I also have owned them.

I normally don't like selling more than one bearded dragon per family (or set-up) because of that reason. When they get bigger, they can turn out to be both male and then the new owners of a bearded have to go out and purchase another set-up, which many don't like, so they are then put up on craigslist or attempted to be taken back to the pet store.
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |
    | 1.0.1 Bearded Dragon | 1.0 Uromastyx | 1.0 Tiger Salamander | 1.0 Sand Boa |
    | 1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko | 0.1.0 Mossy Leaftail Gecko |
    | 1.0.0 Mini Lop-Pancakes | 2.1.0 Cats- Bailey, Rufus & Abbey

Thanks

Maybe the big one is eating all of the crickets and the little one is not growing from lack of food. I would watch them closely or separate them if there is any sign of bullying or aggression.
    4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )
    2.0 Golden Retrievers (Dreamer,Catcher)

Thanks

Default SMALL beardie

Thank you for your response, although, I should have explained it better. They are seperated, we did that a few weeks after we got them both. They did not get along. Therefore, the small Bearded Dragon is still not eating much and very small?

Thanks

Well to get a better idea on the situation, try doing this questionair for me, you can find it under the questions section
    http://blackninjakitty.com/herps/dragons.php

All of these questions will give me the answers I need to know to better help you on what might be the cause of it.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI