Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leopard gecko feeding schedule

Thanks

ok this is what i got from a page i read prior to getting my leo. i have the UTH on the right side with a hide over it. He rare seems to use it. with a heat bulb above it.. then on the cooler side i have a hide that i moisten every day along with a water dish that is always full and its calcium dish which i have seen him take on his own. yes pretty boring but its got the essentials. as well as a day glo light so to regulate day n night cuz hes kinda in a dark corner of the house and where i read it said to keep it regulated. so once that light goes out he comes out for some roaming and lookin for food. i have just cut him down to an every other night feeding and im scared to give him superworms cuz he might be too small to eat them so all he been gettin is cricks but he eats the larger ones of those. hes a pig lol.

Thanks

move the moist hide to the warm side. you dont really need a heat bulb...thats why you have a UTH....leos get heat from thier bellys.

what are your temps?
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko-Zuko, Spaz, and Wretch
    1.1.0Crested Gecko - Sokka and Suki
    0.1.0 African Fat Tail Gecko- Appa
    1.0.0 Tokay Gecko - "Kamikazi"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdragon619 View Post
    move the moist hide to the warm side. you dont really need a heat bulb...thats why you have a UTH....leos get heat from thier bellys.

what are your temps?
    See... I don't really agree with this. But I guess this is why this is a cresteds forum rather than a leos one. I use an overhead bulb AND a UTH (granted, my UTH is low wattage). I like for the moist hide to either be on the cool side or in the middle, and my girls are in there all of the time. These things work for me, but there are probably different ways that work well for different people.
    Currently working with R. ciliatus

Thanks

i know some people with low wattage UTH have a lamp too, but ive got high wattage UTHs and dont need one. and i've just always read that the moist hide is supposed on the hot side, and ive kept it there and my girls like it there...but some leos may like thier moist hide on the cool side. just saying what ive always done...everyone does it differently and different things work equally well

Thanks

Default reply

well my leo very rarely goes under his hide where the heat pad is he prefers his coool side and his moist hide is where he always is so each to thier own ive tried changing it and whenever i move his moist hide he goes to the other hide on the cool side so once i put his moist hide smack in the middle thats where he stays he has never really been wanting on his hot side its like he doesnt like the heat so whatever ill keep it the way he likes it ....question when did you start feeding super worms and how big of ones im worried bout feeding them i know he snaps up his meal worms but if he eats super worms i wanna know how many to give him and how big they should be if you follow me.

Thanks

i generally stay away from super worms. mostly cuz they creep me out...but also because i worry because thier shell is harder than mealworms. what size meal worms are you feeding? they have giant mealworms, and i feed those too. i wated til my leos were fully grown before i started feeding them superworms, about 45-50 grams. and i only have one leo who will eat them so i dont bother with them.

as for the moist hide/cold side thing. the middle works too, lol. both my leos go through periods of either only wanting to be on the cold side, or only on the hot side.

what temp is your hot side at?

Thanks

the hottest i can get my hot side is 85 degrees and he does eat inch size meal worms n likes those but i only give them at the times i run out of crickets cuz i read that they were too fatty so i dont know

Thanks

Actually, mealworm shells are harder than superworm shells. I've been feeding supers for years and haven't had any problems, so I do recommend them. I have heard about impaction issues from feeding too many mealworms, but I'm not sure if that can actually happen. In my experience, too, calcium sticks to superworms better.
    Currently working with R. ciliatus

Thanks

Hi,
    Everyone gave great info. Thank you.
    I've also had Leos for several years, and generally feed them mealworms every other
    day that I've fed first, and dusted with Leopard Gecko dust or powder.
    I vary sometimes with crickets and waxworms. An individual Leo seems to
    eat 6-10 (sometimes more, sometimes less) mealworms per feeding.
    Have found too, that depending on the individual Leopard Gecko, they may want
    to eat every day. As long as their tails are nice and fat, they are shedding
    normally plus eating and drinking, I'm guessing they are healthy and doing well.
    They are nice creatures, aren't they!? Best of luck. melissa n.