Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leopard gecko feeding schedule

Thanks

Default leopard gecko feeding schedule

just curious how everyone feeds their leos. i have a 6 mth old leo that weighs 22.8 grams. when i got him he only weighed 13g.

what i want to know is how often you feed him crikets and how many at a time do you feed them.

also im curious does yours ever drink water mine has fresh water and i never see him drinking so im curious if he even does it kinda scares me if he isnt.

thanks ahead for any insight to my questions.

Thanks

Leopard geckos live in an arid climate with little availability of water. They are biologically designed to not need much water to survive, and to obtain most of that water from their prey. I wouldn't worry about not seeing them drink; just keep clean water available and feed them well.

I don't have a specific feeding schedule for my leppies and feed mostly roaches anyways, but I generally just offer them food daily and let them eat what they want, then remove the rest. Lizards self-regulate fairly well (usually, I do have one golden gecko that is going to eat himself to death if left to his own devices), so they don't tend to OVEReat what is offered.
    1.0.0 Golden Gecko - 0.1.0 Tokay Gecko - 1.2.0 Leopard Gecko - 0.0.1 Moorish Gecko - Lots.Of.Other Animals

Thanks

the rule of thumb is 2 insects per inch of animal about every other day, or you can offer half that amount daily. So if you have a 4" leo, it should be eating about 4 feeder insects daily, or 8 every other day. They will eat more if giving the chance, me leos will gorge themselves and I actually had to put the one on a diet when we got him, 94g and not a giant!
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

at 6 months old...i went to feeding every other day.

and as for water...i actually have a vid on my camera of my leo drinking water...i think she thinks she's a newt or something because she loves water.

just keep fresh water in the tank, your leo probaby takes a few laps every now and then during the night. water dishes are usually HUGE for the leo...its like a bathtub of water for them...can you drink a whole bathtub of water? lol, no. so whatever water he does drink, you wont notice it gone
    1.2.0 Leopard Gecko-Zuko, Spaz, and Wretch
    1.1.0Crested Gecko - Sokka and Suki
    0.1.0 African Fat Tail Gecko- Appa
    1.0.0 Tokay Gecko - "Kamikazi"

Thanks

thanks alot everyone guess im getting it right then smiles

Thanks

oh...and as far as drinking water goes...as long as there is a white part with his poops...then he should be hydrated...gross yes, but its how you tell!

Thanks

oh he definitelty (GRRR cant spell today) has white spots in his poop the lil stinker hahahha

Thanks

Default ok another curiousity on leo's

how do yall have your cages set up findin info on that was kinda bleek for me so maybe you can give me a general description

Thanks

do you have an Under Tank Heater (UTH)? it should cover about a third to half the bottom of the tank. you need a moist hide and regular hide on the hot side (generally keep it about 86 to 92 degrees) and a hide on the cool side. They also need a water dish, i keep mine on the cool side, it keeps algae from growing. And you need a small dish...a bottle cap will work...with pure calcium in it...NOT calcium with D3...just plain reptile calcium. i dont have any pics now or i'd post em.

Thanks

I have 2 leo girls. I've had them for years. They are doing great! They're nice and thick and have the calcium storage pockets under their arms I have them housed together in a 20 gallon and aside from the occasional nip from bad aim during hunting, have never witnessed any fighting between them. They eat every other day (otherwise, the tank gets overrun by live insects). I used to do dusted crickets and occasional roaches, but I mostly prefer superworms these days. I don't really count, but each girl probably gets about 6-8 worms.

I actually completely redid my tank last night, so now my girls are spoiled. I plan to post pictures up soon, so keep an eye out for that. It's nicer than you have to have, though. For my old setup, I had paper towel as the substrate. I had a cave thing that they could climb on or hide under on the hot side. I used an infrared bulb (still do) and a UTH for that side. A placed a flat basking rock over the UTH because I don't like for animals to be laying directly on top of them. The cool side had a self refilling water dish and a moist hide. They did fine in this setup. For my new setup, I used a slate tile for the substrate. Bought it at Lowe's. I arranged some brick on the hot side of the tank so that they have three different basking heights to choose from. The UTH is still under the brick, too. The cool side of the tank has the water dish, a fake plant, and the cave that used to be on the hot side of my old setup. The middle part of the tank has the moist hide and a smooth, shallow feeding bowl. Anyway, I'll post a thread soon about my new setup if you want more detail and pictures.

As a matter of fact, I just watched one of my girls drink about 45 minutes ago or so. So, I think as long as you have a water dish provided, you'll be fine. Hope this helps!
    Currently working with R. ciliatus