Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Czech Republic imports PI babies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaspersail View Post
    As I understand it, Derek, Troeger's chahoua were in tanks marked "Pine Island" but are almost certainly Grande Terre animals (per Steve Cemelli).
    For those that do not know, Steve is one of my closest friends, and we vend 13 shows a year together. I would never, ever bring Steve's knowledge of Rhacodactylus into question, but I fear the slippery slope of 'looks like.' Either you trust the source, or you do not. I trust my sources, and when I do not have 100% confidence in what they say, I mark the geckos are unknown. We as hobbyists (as the geneticists don't care one bit) must decide if we bread of line, or for type. Once 'looks like' comes in to play, we accept breeding for type. Do I believe that every chahoua labels are pine or mainland is either pine or mainland? Absolutely not. When these animals were first collected, they didn't even label them as to where they came from. Chahoua were chahoua, leachies were leachies, and that was as far as it went. Troeger called his animals Pine Islands, and only after he died did we start getting them and calling them mainlands. I have not been around long enough to know what the opinions of Mr. Troeger were previous to his death, so I am not willing to question him or his integrity. Maybe someone more old school than shed light onto that?

Either way, I got the chahoua from Jon Boone, whom I trust, and he bought them from someone he trusted. With no discernible difference other than some traits in the appearance, faith is all we have.

Thanks

Laura,
    Your two babies are gorgeous. No matter if they are Mainland, PI or hillbilly Chewies they are adorable lil bundles
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaddoxDobes View Post
    Laura,
    Your two babies are gorgeous. No matter if they are Mainland, PI or hillbilly Chewies they are adorable lil bundles
    I second that!!! very interesting conversation though.