Thread: "Resting" Female Breeders

Thanks

Default "Resting" Female Breeders

This topic came up in another thread and I thought it was worth discussing on its own.

My first and favorite female is just finishing up her fourth breeding season. I noticed that at the end of this season, her eggs look undercalcified though her calcium sacs look fine (not bulging but not tiny). She also laid a few eggs this year that went bad--a first since her first season.

I'm considering giving her a year off. But will this make her stop laying eggs? I know that crestie sperm can last over a year. And she did lay several clutches before she'd even been with a male. If she's going to lay regardless, I'd rather her go to the trouble with fertilized eggs, not duds.

Anyone have experience with this, successful or not? Thanks!

Thanks

I have thought about this a few times too. A year off certainly would not hurt, but you are right there is nothing guaranteeing she won't try to lay anyway when things warm back up in the spring, (late spring for Oregon lol).
    I don't want to burn anyone out ether so my gals got almost 5 months off last year, and this year they are getting 7 months off. So far no one tried to lay eggs during their resting period, but I would not be shocked if they did.

Thanks

It depends on the gecko. I have successfully cooled some for a year and they didn't lay any eggs, and I have one female who I cannot get above 30 grams, she keeps laying virgin eggs (she has never been with a male).
    I think it might not be a bad idea to give her a break.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

I gave Spock the year off since she escaped early this year, and by breeding season I was still unhappy with her weight (she was 48g before escaping, 39g by the time breeding season hit, and has maintained this weight since..errr). She laid me 3 clutches, all of which were infertile. I understand about the if they are going to be laid at least not be duds, but I waggled my finger at her and told her to stop she needs to get chubby again.

I have had females lay in the off season before, which was a random clutch in Nov and December, and the eggs were fertile. The best I can really say is it depends on the last time you introduced your male. I think your odds are better for a random clutch in the off season to be fertile if you had reintroduced your male a second or third time later in the season. But if you want her to be cooler, if the room the geckos are in is by themselves, try shutting the vent off in the room, or shutting it partially so that when the heat is on, the room they are in is not getting super warm, but staying in the low 70's or high 60's, which should keep her and the other females from laying.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will just give her a year off and hope she doesn't lay any eggs. With such a small breeding program, this will cut my hatchling supply in half, but it will be worth it imho. Also, I can hang on to my 2010 babies without panicking about running out of room!

Thanks

I did exactly that this year, as I wanted to make sure I sold everything I had left over from last year to avoid being overrun. I seperated my females from my males in September last year, and they were still laying fertile eggs well into the middle of this year, and only the last few clutches were duds after that. Now they all look to have stopped laying and are beginning to get nice and big again.

I think that it's nice for them to have a year off, also it seems to have been great for my males too, no worries about breeding and mating, just eating!

I have also found that it is probably a good idea, if you want to mate a female with a different male the next year, that you are totally sure she has stopped laying from the previous male, knowing how long they laid into this year, I am glad I didn't breed as I couldn't have been sure who the sire was.
    6.14.3 R. ciliatus 1.3.6 R. auriculatus 2.2.3 R. chahoua 0.1.0 R. leachianus henkeli (Nuu Ana)
    1.0.0 R. leachianus leachianus (mt koghis) 0.1.0 R. sarasinorum

1.1.0 E.vieillardi 0.17.0 Lepidodactylus lugubris 1.1.2 G. hainanensis 1.0.0 G. luii 1.0.1 Uroplatus guentheri

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard156 View Post

I have also found that it is probably a good idea, if you want to mate a female with a different male the next year, that you are totally sure she has stopped laying from the previous male, knowing how long they laid into this year, I am glad I didn't breed as I couldn't have been sure who the sire was.
    I'm planning on not breeding the one female I have that has been bred this year again next year for that reason as well. I want to be really sure of who the sire is.
    Too many snakes! 20 species and counting. 1.2.plus Crested geckos 2.2 Gargoyle geckos 0.2 Chihuahua 2.2 evil cats.
    Elemental Exotics Terms & Conditions

Thanks

Madeline - You maybe able to keep her from laying duds next season by moving her into a room with no males in it. It will also help if you can keep that room a tad cooler. If she does start laying you can always just put a male in with her when that starts. I try for a schedule of 3 years on and one off with my Rhacs.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.