Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Looking into a Bearded Dragon... Hmmm

Thanks

To Joe - It was at first a Beardie then later on with the info I have its a no go.

Skink attracted me more tbh.

I saw a schenider skink and I was all awww! Fire skinks seem pretty docile but they're insectivorus(?) I believe or omni.
    Here for consumer and seller purposes only.

Thanks

Although I'm new to the Gecko world. I've had a few Beardies in the past. My wife currently has a baby. It's a awsome lil lizard. Just likes to be held a lot! Buying crickets is expensive but, once older you can feed it pinkies as a treat. Guess this appeals to me since my wife won't let me have snakes anymore! She says they only things allowed in the house bigger than her is me, my pit bull and my Iggy! Nothing that can eat her...lol!
    Shorty
    0.1.0 Black Pastel BP (Chevelle)
    0.0.1 Green Iguana (Trixxie)
    0.0.2 Panther Gecko's (Elmo & Zoe)
    1.1.4 Crested Gecko (Bananerz. Dottie. No Name1. Marilyn. Reggie & Shockey)
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon (Duci)
    1.0.0 CKC American Pit Bull Terrier (Jeter-JETer not like da Baseball player!)
    0.1.0 UKC/ AKC Boston Terrier (Unique)
    R.I.P. Kawi the Green Iguana (3OCT10)
    http://www.iherp.com/shorty54

Thanks

pinkies honestly are not the best choice for a treat. Can they eat it? Yes. Should they eat it? No. There are a few reasons. One in the wild beardies dont normally eat many mammals at all, they are mainly insectivors (well actually adults are omnivours with veggie tendencies, young are monivors with insect tendencies, what I mean by mainly is that as far as their protein intake goes, not as a diet as a whole). But they also do yearly come across a time where food is scarce, so when they do eat a mammal or two, the fat from it is stores and is used up durring this time when prey items are not easily found. In captivity we do not offer this period, they always have food, are a good weight, and dont require this extra stores fat. So like with wax worms, when offered to them on a fairly regular basis (I am not talking like once every 4 months) it can cause fatty liver disease. But even just once in a blue moon, they simply dont need it and isnt the healthiest treat choice.

Another reason is that pinkies are known for carrying alot of parasitic worms, not an issue for species that normally eat alot of mammals like snakes, but beardies actually can get over loaded with them fairly quickly, regardless if the pinky was frozen or not. The only way to kill off MOST of them is to take that frozen pinky then boil it, but it is never parasite free. So because of this reason, if you feel the need to offer your beardie a more fatty treat, the waxworm is a better choice.

But why go through all of that when there are so many other choices of a better treat that is actually healthy for your animals. There are things like silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms, or butterworms. Other fun treats are things like berries, hibiscus petals, and fresh dandilion flowers.
    Last edited by Sublime Reptiles; 10-22-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

My understanding is that an adult beardie needs about 80% greens and 20% live food. As babies, its the opposite, they need more bugs. Really, they are made for digesting insects better than pinkies.
    Another reason I wouldn't feed a bluey or beardie pinkies (aside from the reasons thongwedgie mentioned) are, small and pink can look like fingers. Do I want to train my lizards to go after my fingers? Nooooo, I think not!
    Best off sticking with Collard greens and roaches. I've heard dandelion flowers are well liked too.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

:s :s :s :s :s

I never saw it that way. I never really noticed the likelihood of the colors from our fingers to the pinkies. Anything that has to do with live is a no-no so beardies are out...

Juvi Tegus?

Thanks

I have not been following this thread, so I do not know the whole situation. If I had to suggest any of the animals you are considering, I would say go for a blue tongue! Mine comes out to cuddle for hours every day. He has even been snuggling with me all afternoon on the couch watching horror movies. They are great companions!

Thanks

Really? I heard they burrow for such a long time and they're almost never out?

Thanks

Nope, while they do like loose substrate like aspen or ripped up paper towel, they are diurnal. My guy Novak is a captive bred bluey that even at four months is a huge sweetheart! He waits at his cage door everyday for me to feed him and take him outdoors to use the bathroom. He has highly surpassed all of my geckos.

Thanks

Sounds interesting! Iran Jaya? Western? Northern? Etc