Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking into a Bearded Dragon... Hmmm

Thanks

Default Looking into a Bearded Dragon... Hmmm

Very friendly animals. When I was at the reptile expo they were literally jumping on the cage and when I pet them they closed their eyes and relaxed. How cute!

I read constant caresheets and talked to breeders and a downfall is /crickets/.

Is there an alternative to feed babies other than crickets? Like, those little bearded dragon bites that asked to add water?

Don't get me wrong I love my new garg. She's a little nippy with me, probably needs to be tamed down still. But I think a bearded dragon would be a nice pet to add to the family as well! My dad is a little freaky when it comes to the garg but he doesnt really seem to care to touch a bearded. Is there any replacements I can do?
    Here for consumer and seller purposes only.

Thanks

One question for you, smell...how are you will really smelly poop? The one reason we went to gargs in the first place instead of bearded dragons or rankin dragons were the dragons smell pretty darn bad if their enclosure is not cleaned really really well daily. The bigger they get, the worse/stronger the smell can be.

Thanks

Beardies actually do very well on roaches and they're a healthier feeder for them. They will need high calcium greens as well, like collards, dandelion, etc. Alos, you will really need a decent UVB lamp for them to help them with vitamin d absorption.
    As long as you're researching mid-sized friendly lizards, look into Blue Tongue skinks. They're just as friendly as beardies, mine love to snuggle in sleeves. They don't have as huge of poop, and they don't need the intense UVB that a beardie does. They also don't have to eat bugs because they are more generalist in feeding (though mine will eat roaches and hornworms on occasion). I feed mine high quality cat/kitten food and mix in collard greens, mustard greesn, dandelion, veggies like squash, fruits, etc.
    Plus, watching em eat with those big flappy blue tongues is hilarious.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Actually I was looking at skinks. Instead of feeders can they be fed staple snails with some greens?

Well other than my backyard where can I get dandilions? Plus I didnt see any skink breeders in my expo..

As for the Beardie, no hope for a replacement thats not an insect/snail/slug huh? =/

Thanks

Skinks eat tons of things. You can feed them cooked chicken,wet catfood,bugs,greens and fruits. If you want a big loveable lizard that dosen't need a staple of bugs i'd go with a blue tongue skink. Plus they don't need as big of a cage. BTS can be keept in a 40 gallon breeder as opposed to one beardie that needs 75 gallons and 2x as many lights. You can buy BTS online if theres no breeder in your area. Shipping overnight isn't as horrible as you think it would be. They sell dandelion greens at your local walmart or giant eagal. I guess humans love then in there salads.

Thanks

I saw how they come in. I feel like they get suffocated inside cause some ship without any holes..

And wow really? That sounds HIGHLY attractive to my father LOL No staple need of bugs and lower cost compared to a beardie.

Haha that sounds fair enough. Now obviously with calcium powder and multi-vitamins, how do you think this food schedule would sound? (One week, each list = one day)

About 2-3 snails (I will be looking into many caresheets)
    Dandelions
    Greens (I heard lettuce wasent the best choice so I'll see)
    Snails again
    Dog Food(?) (If cat why not dog?)
    Dandelions again
    Egg

Money is the main problem here. He already wants to give Jackie an ecosystem (great idea btw I think she'd love it) but thats gonna be alot of money plus I feel like the BTS food diet would be rather pricey in itself?

Also on my Repashy bag it said it can also be fed to skinks..? O_o

Thanks

Check out this site http://www.bluetongueskinks.net

Everything you know about blue tongue skinks they have all the answers. I just got my blue tongue about a month or so ago and they are definately easier to take care of then bearded dragons. I would suggest to read the care sheet they have alot of good info on it.

As for food its actually alot cheaper keeping a blue tongue skink since they dont need feeders. And when they get older once or twice a week is all they need for feeding.

Thanks

my last bearded i housed in a 125 gallon enclosure...which he frickin loved! but a bearded will eat alot..whichever insect you decide to feed it...its worth it to have your own colony of crickets or roaches even for just one bearded...even feeding greens as well...very great reptile though

Thanks

To Poke - Thanks! This website seems to have much more information then all the others! I will look into this deeply!

To Above - Dang! My dad would've said NO right away!

Thanks

CGD makes a good treat I give it to my BTS once or twice a week. I basicly give my guy table scraps with some greens and kitty food. Cat food has better p[rotien you would use it so you wouldn't have to feed any bugs. Snails aren't the easyest to find either.
    Price run down:
    Collard,mustard, or dandi greens between $1 and $3 a pound. Colard last up to 3 weeks in the crisper drawer of your fridge. I buy these once a month.
    Cat food mini cans: $2 can last up to two servings buy a few and they will last awhile.
    Fruits here and there $1-$4 depending on what you buy. You can eat the leftovers.
    Eggs twice a month : .19cents (two eggs costs like nothing)
    Basking bulb : $10 a month roughly
    UVB bulb 24" $30 replace once a year.
    Stripe light to hold the UV bulb is $10 at walmart in hardware
    40 gallon breeder cage with built in screen lid $100 new OBO on craigslist.
    Giant bag of aspen bedding at petco in hampster section $10 and can last over 6 months. Plus the cost of a log hide,pooper scooper, water dish and shallow food dish

The most expensive part is getting started but once you have everything down its really cheap. Cageing and husbandry supplies are the most expensive.

I give greens every day of the week switching out between collard and mustard.
    Cat food twice a week or some other pretien like eggs or chicken
    and fruit once every other week. Sometimes more depending on whats in the house.
    Food gets dusten with calcium with D3 once a week and dusted with vitimens on anouther day of the week. Heres pics of Indigo and his setup.
    http://iherp.com/Public/Animals/Anim...AnimalID=34268
    He's a little over two feet long. I used slate rock ontop of an ABS hide for a hideing spot.

You don't need holes in a box to breathe because there not air tight. You ever play in a box as a kid? Did you ever pass out from suffication? If theres holes in the box it would ruin the insulation and the reptile could freeze or over heat top the point of death. I recieved Indigo and about 10 of my other animals overnight in the mail and they all got here just fine.