Thread: Won a firebelly toad

Thanks

Default Won a firebelly toad

I just won a fire belly toad at a reptile expo and I was wondering if I get any info on them. I know nothing about frogs! I put him in a little kk with a dish of water that I'm going to make a little bigger with some eco earth and moss. I was told to feed crickets. But there has to be more. Thanks in advice
    iHerp
    Facebook

Margaret
    6.7.9 Crested geckos

Thanks

I Just got firebellies myself. They like a nice deep (2-3") dish of water...I just change the water out every day to keep it clean and they love it. Be sure to use repti-safe for the water. I feed mine crickets every other day...they love to hunt. My tank is planted with a layer of frog moss on top, they seem to really like the moss, it doesn't stick to them. Lots of leaves and stuff to hide under...one hides under a log a lot at night.

TIGHT lid, they can climb and get out.

Um, letsee, what else did I learn...mine ate one of its tankmates, apparently they will eat one another in dominance, although they like to be in groups, which confused me lol. He's fine with his other tankmates now.

They seem pretty easy to care for, I'm loving mine.

www.thatdarncrab.com
    my fishy/crabby/scaly/furry blog that I don't update enough

Um I ran out of room to list everything...just go here..http://www.iherp.com/sericinda

Thanks

Sweet... so should i get it a tank mate? how big are your crickets? Is there any way you could show me a picture of your tank?
    iHerp
    Facebook

Margaret
    6.7.9 Crested geckos

Thanks

I feed the small crickets.

Here is an earlier pic of the tank...it now has a much deeper water dish and a hollow log in it

Oh and it now has green moss on the top layer. So in other words, the tank is very different now, so this post was completely pointless lol

www.thatdarncrab.com
    my fishy/crabby/scaly/furry blog that I don't update enough

Um I ran out of room to list everything...just go here..http://www.iherp.com/sericinda

Thanks

hahahaha thats funny!! It was still helpful though thanks!
    iHerp
    Facebook

Margaret
    6.7.9 Crested geckos

Thanks

Small crickets, the occasional little earthworm and mine will sometimes take a butterworm. They are cute little guys, mine likes to have staredowns with the nearest gecko and sometimes he "whomps". He also shimmies up the corner of his tank so you have to make sure you have a tight lid, I found him happily sitting beside his tank one day, no idea how he got out!
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

They can get pretty old too. My uncle had one which he gave to me when the toad was about 5-6 yrs old. I had the toad all through high school, so he lived to be about 10 yrs old.

For my tank, I had it split 50/50 with land and water. I had a bunch of logs and rocks in there so if he went into the deep end he could easily climb out. I used a little sponge filter to keep it clean.

I also had lots of plants in there.

Also, if he does get to be about 10 yrs old, they get too slow to eat crickets. So switch to worms and they're good to go.

Thanks

Mine is at least 5 years old, we scoop him out and feed him in a KK or else he doesn't bother eating.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

I also recommend that half the tank be water and the other half be land. They love to swim and be in the water, which is why it is great to have a lot of water. You can build up with rocks to make a land area or take a tupperware container and fill that with water.
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |
    | 1.0.1 Bearded Dragon | 1.0 Uromastyx | 1.0 Tiger Salamander | 1.0 Sand Boa |
    | 1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko | 0.1.0 Mossy Leaftail Gecko |
    | 1.0.0 Mini Lop-Pancakes | 2.1.0 Cats- Bailey, Rufus & Abbey

Thanks

you can put a minnow or two in the water (cheaper kind) for the frogs to eat since they like variety...
    just a though but people always get upset when i post feeding fish to frogs, they have no problem feeding fish to fish or crix to anything but why does it matter fish to frogs... anyways it works
    0.1.0 R. Ciliatus Aussie 12X18X20
    0.0.1 R. Auriculatus 12X12X18
    1.0.0 Blue Tonge Skink Lennie the Lounge Lizard
    0.0.2 Dwarf Puffer
    1.0.0 Cats
    1.0 Black Lab/Springer mix Jack
    0.1 Labro-doodle Molly
    If you have a question and you dont know what the answer is, Search before you post!