Thread: Pacman Frog

Thanks

Question Pacman Frog

Hello everyone =)

So, lately I've been thinking about getting a pacman frog, hopefully i'll get one at the expo in january. I have a few questions about them.

I've never had frogs before, well i think i had one when i was like 10, so are they a good starter or are they more demanding and i should get a different type of frog before i get a pacman?

What should their feeding schedule be? I've read alot on what they eat but not how much/often to feed them.

Any other advice on them would be great =)

Thanks in advance
    2.1.0 Cresties 0.0.1 Gargoyle 1.0.0 Leopard gecko 0.1.0 Cornsnake 0.0.1 Columbian Tegu 1.1.0 Dogs 1.2.0 Cats 1.0.0 Chinchilla 0.1.0 banded king snake 0.1.0 california kingsnake
    R.I.P frogbutt, medusa, horus, and vyktor

Thanks

I had two for a while before I decided amphibians weren't for me. Pacmans are very easy to keep. I kept my two in shoebox sized bins filled with ecoearth when they were small. As they get bigger you can move them up to 10 gallon tanks with a water dish. I fed my guys every other day or every day since they were babies. I fed a staple diet of earthworms, with crickets, mealworms, and waxworms thrown in every once in a while for variety. Make sure to dust all the feeders a few times a week with calcium with d3. I kept my guys at room temps, but they'll probably have more of an apetite when kept a little warmer. These frogs are really cute, but a bit boring since they spend most of their time hidden in their substrate. Handling should be kept to a minimum. Good luck.
    1.1.0 E. agricolae

Thanks

Yeah, Pacman forgs are great for beginners! Just keep in mind that they're not very exciting. They also get pretty big and fat, and sometimes they bite, haha.

I thought about getting a pacman frog before I zeroed in on cresties, so I did some research... I just wanted something I could touch a bit more. And cresties are just adorable.
    Current Roommates -
    1.2.1 African Dwarf Frogs
    1.0.0 Betta Splendens

Thanks

thank you both for the information =)

I don't know if this is bad or not but one of a the main reasons i want a pacman is because of the cute growling/barking thing they do when they're mad lol, also they're croaks sound adorable =P I do like frogs in general, those are just a few things that made me decide which one i want.

Also I don't really focus on just one type of reptile, right now i hav snakes, geckos, lizards, even a turantula =) I think it would be pretty cool to add frogs to my hobby.
    2.1.0 Cresties 0.0.1 Gargoyle 1.0.0 Leopard gecko 0.1.0 Cornsnake 0.0.1 Columbian Tegu 1.1.0 Dogs 1.2.0 Cats 1.0.0 Chinchilla 0.1.0 banded king snake 0.1.0 california kingsnake

Thanks

Heh heh heh... I know what you mean. |D It's so cute, isn't it? It's probably not good to stress a frog like that... but... it's just SO CUTE.

They won't do that, though, unless you bother them. They're pretty quiet most of the time.
    Current Roommates -
    1.2.1 African Dwarf Frogs
    1.0.0 Betta Splendens

Thanks

lol yeah, they themselves really are cute tho, i like the chubbyness =P

Thanks

the husband has one, boring. also the hardest thing to feed we own. doesnt ever want to eat and when it does it takes the husband 20 minutes or so to intice it to eat.

good luck.

Thanks

Horned frogs that are kept correctly are among the most voracious herps out there, if one isn't eating readily there's something wrong.

Horneds are great beginner frogs, hardy, easy and yes, a bit boring. Babies will eat crickets or roaches adults can be fed a staple of the same with the occasional mouse. Depending on sex, a 20 gal may be necessary, females get larger than males and need more space. Setup is easy, 4-5 inches of cocofiber and a water dish. A little heat isn't necessary, but is appreciated. I fed babies every other day, adults once or twice a week. Adults eat 10-20 crickets/roaches per feeding or one small mouse, babies 4-6 crickets/roaches per feeding. Dust with supplements every feeding.

They're kind of cool frogs, but not particular active. They're sit and wait predators. When I kept them I used a layer of leaf litter and the frog would bury itself, then explode out when food showed up. Feeding behavior is kind of interesting, watching a mouse or roach walking around then all of a sudden *BAM!* disappears. I wouldn't pester it too much, these guys have teeth and a big one can give a good bite.

Good luck!
    Uroplatus, Rhacodactylus, Gekko, Ghyra, Phelsuma, Blaesodactylus, Veiled Chams and Blood Pythons

Thanks

Thank you for the info everyone! Ive always been interested in frogs,I catch them outside all the tyme and think it would be cool to have one of my own