Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crocodile Gecko Info

Thanks

Unhappy Crocodile Gecko Info

Well, I have decided to broaden my gecko collection and get away from the crested geckos (6 is a good number for now, but who knows what I acquire late on down the road.) I am going to be buying 1 (maybe 2) Crocodile Geckos within the next couple of weeks (waiting for them to come in) and I would like to know, from those of you that OWN Crocodile Geckos what their care is like. I have heard that they are not easily hand-able, but that is ok (for I am going to be getting a Tokay as well!)

I just would like to know:
    Do they require any heat sources day/night?
    When they are babies is it better to keep them on paper towel/reptile carpet or can they be put on substrate?
    Are they desert dwelling, more like crested geckos, etc.?

Anything else would be great to know about! Thanks
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |
    | 1.0.1 Bearded Dragon | 1.0 Uromastyx | 1.0 Tiger Salamander | 1.0 Sand Boa |
    | 1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko | 0.1.0 Mossy Leaftail Gecko |
    | 1.0.0 Mini Lop-Pancakes | 2.1.0 Cats- Bailey, Rufus & Abbey

Thanks

I know a little about them. They're pretty basic geckos as far as care goes. They do require a heat source to keep it between 78-85 degrees. They really like to have a basking spot to that reaches 85. They're best kept on paper towel as are most geckos to be honest, and they're from rocky mountainous areas.

Oh and make sure the pair you get is actually a boy and a girl or a girl and a girl. Males will fight to the death.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

I sold my croc gecko female today at a show for a whole $1, so that tells you what I think of them lol.

Thanks

Yeah, I am getting mine for $15 a piece. There is really nothing exciting about them. I just think they are cute.
    I just want to make sure they have the right care.
    Got plenty of space just in case they end up being male and male.
    Loooooooking forward to my Tokay to though!
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |

Thanks

Wow. Because they are cheap there not a cool Gecko?
    Chondrodactylus turneri are some of the coolest desert dwellers. Like it hot,basking spot can reach 100F plus and they will love it. But they will also do well with lower temps. They are a very hardy and adaptable species. I kept all mine on sand eco earth mix with plenty of slabs of rock with bark and wood. And they do well. Strictly insectivorous. They are a very fun species and im sure you will enjoy them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sgvreptilesss View Post
    Wow. Because they are cheap there not a cool Gecko?
    Where did you see anyone say that???
    I sold mine for a $1 to get it out of my house because I personally don't like them at all. Their price has nothing to do with it. They just suck imo lol.

Thanks

Ryan, when'd you get a crocodile gecko? I should smack you for not telling me, ahah.

Here's a care sheet for them, which is pretty much everything I'd tell you and more.
    http://www.geckosunlimited.com/commu...are-sheet.html

Basically I keep mine in a 10 gallon with lots of climbing and hiding spaces. He'll normally perch on something and just stare at you. Very eager eater, dives down and waits at the opening of the cage for me to put the food dish in. They can be tamed, but I've been told their skin is fragile (although they just don't look it)
    I'd highly suggest gloves for handling, though. and just get the gecko to walk on your hand instead of trying to pick the gecko up. If cornered, they will bite. Otherwise they normally run away.

I have it at 77-84 with a 89 basking spot. He's on a UV cycle as well with the rest of my reptiles. Doubt they need it so much but I've noticed better health in him since using it.

Other than that, very hardy. Normally shy, but it's very fun to watch them hunt.

Thanks

Thank you guys for the information.
    I personally would like to hear the GOOD things about them, but everyone is allowed their opinion. For example, I hate Iguanas, but I have also never owned one, so I guess its just personal experience and opinion.
    Anyways, so I want to make sure that I have everything ready when they arrive in a couple weeks (I am getting them from the store I work at.)

Heat can go anywhere from 70-100 degrees. UV bulbs are a +
    What about infrared bulbs at night?
    I have 10 gallons and 5 gallons. Now if they come the size I think they will, they should be close to the size of crested hatchlings, correct? Therefore, a 5 gallon would be a good size to start off correct?
    Uhm, obviously paper towel or reptile carpet is best to begin with.
    Lets see.... do they need need lots of plants or a lot of cave dwelling type material?
    What can they eat other than crickets and meal worms?
    Do they need any CGD?

Thank you!
    ..JESSICA..

Thanks

Overall my personal opinion of this animal is that they're fun to look at. A slight butt to tame due to their speed, bite, and how strong their feet are. If the gecko doesn't want to let go, trust me, you're gonna have hell getting it to do otherwise. Possible to tame, there are CBB available for basically the same price of WC adults.
    My male, if I remember right, is pushing 27 grams right now. He looks very round, he looks gravid, ahah.

I haven't noticed a difference in using red night lights for them. It does help you view them at night, but mine is fairly active in the day.

Honestly, I don't think a 5 gallon would work for one unless it's quite small. They run and jump around a lot. I got mine at roughly 15 or so grams, and tried starting him in a large KK for quarantine. When they're skittish, they really run around a lot and it seems that he was freaking out more because there wasn't enough space for him to hide somewhere and not see my hand. When I put him in a KK, he wouldn't go on a 30 second full cage flipout to find a new hiding spot because he thought I could see him in his regular spot.

I've never been able to get my gecko to eat out of his cage. Although he has jumped out of his cage and onto my arm in order to get to the feeding dish before I put it in there (I feed him roughly every 3 days, he eats a lot)
    I use a small feeding dish that roaches can't escape out of and just put it in there, I have so many decorations in there for hiding spots otherwise that he wouldn't be able to catch them if they were to escape. I put a thin plate of CGD in there for the roaches I know are living in there, and he has not eaten any yet that I am away of, but he'll dive down and eat roaches while they're trying to get a snack.

Actually, I completely forgot about reptile carpet for them. If mine didn't lay so many fresh piles for me I'd switch to it, they don't have obvious claws like crested geckos (I actually don't recall any claws at all, or they are extremely small in comparison) so their feet are less likely to get stuck on the carpet material like crested's would.

I personally use more plants than caves, although they do make good use of paper towel tubes. In the wild they tend to live in rocky areas and would hide between the stones, not suggested for how jumpy they can be since it may get them stuck. I would suggest a little cave or something solid for them to hide in/behind so they can feel more secure when you're messing in their cave. If they feel exposed they're more likely to run out of their cage. Just be sure said object is pretty sturdy for a speedy gecko to dive around to hide.

Mine will eat anything that moves. Crickets, roaches, mealworms, wax worms, fingers, mice pinkies, phoenix worms, tomato worm (horrible mess, tbh), and I was able to sneak in canned crickets as long as there are live ones around it to put off movement. So you can just feed it whatever you have available, although overall crickets or roaches would be a more balanced meal.

My camera went up and missing again. My family likes to borrow these things. I'll try taking pictures of my cage later if you like, but for now I'd suggest looking at geckos unlimited.

Syn is offline LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
    Thanks

Hey if you don't like them and don't have any information to add, it's as easy as not replying!

A friend of mine has one set up in a pretty big tank, if I had to guess I'd say around 30-40 gallons... there is a lot of sand stone and even some cork bark (cork bark is always good ) plus some substrate, probably eco earth or soil. I will send him a message to see if he will reply to this thread and give you more info. Better than second hand hehe.