Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrosaurus thalassinus- Baja Blue Rock Lizar/San Lucan Rock Lizard

Thanks

Default Petrosaurus thalassinus- Baja Blue Rock Lizar/San Lucan Rock Lizard

I also work with one of my all time favorite lizards. Baja Blue Rock Lizards....
    They are literally like a Chuckwalla X Collard Lizard cross. Colorful and big, and they love it hot...

Thanks

Wow these guys are absolutely stunning...I never knew about them before! Can you give a little more info on them? I am intrigued!
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Me too, me too!!! More info please, care, price....
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

I have never seen those before. Very pretty coloring.

Thanks

wow those are amazing.
    They look like they've been painted!

Thanks

they truely beautiful species, but from what I have heard, they dont make a very good handling species?
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

When these guys arrived they were very skittish, flighty to any movement and very secretive. Now, they're more intrigued in what we're doing, why we're in they cage picking up poop, of placing food, and pretty much out all day. They've tamed down enough to be slightly hand able and I think with enough work, can be as tame as a bearded dragon. We've made plans to construct some outdoors pens before summer, and I'm hesitant to place them outside. Reason being they can jump at least 2ft up and from what I've read 3ft is pretty capable of them. They have no trouble climbing vertical, perpendicular, horizontal, and even upside down. The last thing I want to do is place these expensive lizards outdoors, and come home to find them missing from they're pen, and running lose outside in a fence less yard.

They eat pretty much anything you give them... they seem to be more carnivorous than anything; they'll eat our dragon salad, but prefer roaches, crickets, superworms, and pinkies over greens. Males are larger than females; females are just as colorful as males. Only real way of sexing these lizards to be sure of they're sex is by looking at they're femoral pores. They're colors intensify during breeding season, males can be a turquoise blue with baby blue hue thru out they're body and streaks of yellow around the they're eyes, neck and chest. Females, have a blue gray cast over they're body, and when gravid get red/orange coloration around they're eyes, throat, and back.

Housing consists of a stock trough that measures 4x2x2 (bigger is always better), plenty of rock slabs for them to hide in. I offer 160w mecury vapor bulb on one side of the setup, I have a 48" zoomed 10.0 fluroscent bulb that runs across the whole setup. I use sand as a substrate, and I have havent had any issues..

Breeding is straight forward, around Thanksgiving I stop feeding them, I make sure they dont have any food in they're system. Once that is done, I cool them down and offer fluroscent lighting only 8hrs a day.. I take away the hot spot... temps in the house/room wil normally drop and be around 50-60F. daily. This goes on for about 2-3 months. Around Feb. I bring the temps back up, put on the baskign light, and keep the lights on roughly 12hrs daily. You will notice the lizards color up, and the male (males will have a solid blue head, and pretty much be full body powder blue) will start head bobbing and chasing the female. After copulation, you will notice the female's yellow/orange spots, will turn red/red/orange. This means that the female has taken and is gravid. About 4weeks after copulation she will lay eggs.. Clutch size ranges from 12-25eggs, she will be looking for a moist deep sand area. Eggs are incubate at roughly 86F. with some slight moisture in the incubation medium. Eggs hatch roughly at the 60 day mark with these temps.

I sell out every year, but last I checked babies sell for $350ea, I sell sexed pairs at $600 a pair ($250 for males, and $350 females)

I wish I could be a more "professional" in my writing skills, but I've never really been good in COMP/English/Literature

Thanks

Those guys are really cool looking! Love all the different colors. Thanks for sharing!
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Thanks

Very vivid coloring on those faces, interesting species.

Thanks

They are cool lizards, saw one in the wild do a backflip onto another rock from a stand still position!
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin