Thread: dubia roachs

Thanks

Default dubia roachs

Does anyone breed these? Anyone willing to sell some for starting a colony any cheaper than the online sites? Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 789
    Does anyone breed these? Anyone willing to sell some for starting a colony any cheaper than the online sites? Thanks
    I breed them, but I'm expanding my colony to meet the entire needs of my colony. I know a few people selling them, but I'm not sure to what price you're comparing--define cheaper. Also, do you have a preference as to age--nymphs, subadults, adults? Quantity? Let me know as I might be able to help.
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Thanks

Thanks. Blaberous is $6 for 10. I assume shipping is on top of that. LLLReptile is $2 for a roach with shipping. I'd want breeding size. I've got to get a colony up asap. I'm getting in crickets to start breeding but from all I've read I want to go to roachs. My crested had finally started eating small crickets. My big problem is trying to keep in supply with my single beardie. I'm about to get some more. Hope to make enough money from them to find me a nice female crested. I've seen two green cresteds I really like, but both have been too expensive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 789
    Thanks. Blaberous is $6 for 10. I assume shipping is on top of that. LLLReptile is $2 for a roach with shipping. I'd want breeding size. I've got to get a colony up asap. I'm getting in crickets to start breeding but from all I've read I want to go to roachs. My crested had finally started eating small crickets. My big problem is trying to keep in supply with my single beardie. I'm about to get some more.
    I just got in an order of dubia and supplies from James @ blaberus. Top notch guy and definitely worth the bucks. Dubia are really hot on the market, so good luck finding cheap adults--they're scarce as it is on the market. Even if you get a fair amount (100+ adults w/ 75+ being female), you'd still be at least 3 months away from being able to feed off from the colony. If you want a quick fix for now, just breed crickets and keep them really warm 85-90*F. I just ran a trial of breeding crickets. With only 15-25 females, I got several hundred pinheads. Crickets only have an 8 week lifespan and they grow like weeds when gutloaded and kept warm. If you start with 500 females, lots of a hiding spaces, maybe 50 males, lotsa dry food and veggies, and of course a moist laying box, you'll have thousands of pinheads in a few weeks. And thousands of bigger crix as the weeks go by. You definitely get a return on the investment of the initial colony. Only bad thing is you have to constantly replace breeders with fresh ones as they die of old age or get fed off.
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Thanks

Thanks. I was hoping to get the roach colony built up while working off of the crickets. That many crickets smell horrible. couple hundred are horible enough, 4000 is going to stink to high heavens. How hot can the roachs be kept? How about crickets. It gets into the hundreds here. Way too hot for the gecko to be out but the beardies will be fine. Just that dad doesn't want the feeders to be kept in the house.

Thanks

and dont forget the cricket virus going around. i lost 1000 in three days and i know a couple other people saying the same thing, i had never even heard of the cricket virus till some told me it was wiping out colony's left and right.

Thanks

Hadn't heard of it. How is that happening? I ordered my crickets from LLLReptile. Any problems with the lizards after eating the crickets that could of been infected? I got to get some colonies going though to feed these guys. What temps can crickets go up to without cooking?