Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bearded Dragon Substrate

Thanks

Hey,

I've been breeding Bearded and Frilled Dragons for some time now and have talked to other breeders that have been doing much longer than me. I (they) use Playsand, I buy mine from HomeDepot, 50lbs bags, what little they may ingest will pass right through them. I dont keep a water dish in with the big Dragons (it's way to messy), I take them out and put them in the sink,twice a week.
    Hatchling are put on paper towel and dont switch them over to playsand until there about 7/8 months old and I do keep a small water dish in there for them, they require more water than adults.

Joe
    www.dragonslare.com
    1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Thanks

we have our beardie on terrarium mat, its GREAT! when it gets dirty you take it out and wash it, and there is nothing they cant eat it, unless of course they dig at it, in whichcase you just melt the edges and its good as new My step-mom uses this in 99% of her tanks at her pet store
    Bearded: Sefira
    Water Dragon: Leviathan
    Crestie:Mushu
    Boyfriend LOL

she will not go this I know, till all the stars have fallen<3

Thanks

I really like reptile carpet. It doesn't get as cool as tile, easy to clean, eliminates risk of impaction,and you can buy it in different colors to match your decor. Only problem is it can harbor bacteria so make you wash frequently. I take hot hot water to clean up poop and scrub it, and once a week wash it on warm In the washer. All of my beardies have it. Good luck!
    1.1.5 R. ciliatus
    2.1.0 P. vitticeps
    0.1.0 Silkie P. vitticeps

Thanks

Slate, tile, lino, brown paper, if you want to use a sand please don't use calci-sand, when we first got our bearded dragons my mum bought some and within a few minutes they were both eating it. I removed it straight away. (I knew how bad calci-sand was but she insisted) They say calci-sand is digestible but it isn't. What happens is the reptile will sometimes eat it on purpose (like our beardies did) because they like the taste... when it's wet it then clumps together and then it goes hard. If you want to use a sand the safest would be playsand, it's much finer so easier for them to pass if they happen to swallow some...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontown View Post
    Ok peeps, laugh all you want.... my answer is "bird seed". shelled millet. I kept Uromastyx on it a few years ago and then moved the beardeds to it. The seeds are also food and easily digestible, good stuff for omnivores. Te seeds also coat the feces and can be scooped like cat litter. When you need to change it out, feed the clean stuff to the birds!
    Mike, you sir are brilliant!
    Showing you the rebel within