Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I got an email from animal planet

Thanks

Arrow I got an email from animal planet

I got this in my email box today...

Hello Central Oregon Herpetological Society,

I am a researcher with the show, Confessions: Animal Hoarders on Animal Planet. If you are not familiar with the show, here's the premise:
    We try to work with family members, neighbors, friends, psychologists, social workers, etc. to help when people are in a situation where their homes have so many animals that they can't provide proper care, and that their own lives are being jeopardized (ie: alienation from human companions).
    In our first season, we had a series of successes helping people in these, "hoarding" situations--managing to get things under control before the situation deteriorated into one deemed to be criminal abuse.
    We are looking for all different animals (including reptiles), and different kinds of people who might be in these situations.
    I am in the process of contacting animal welfare situations across the US and Canada, seeking assistance in finding these people. We are hoping that organizations will post a link on their websites that will lead people to us.
    The link might look like this:

Do you have an animal hoarder in your life? Maybe we can help.
    (hypertext link to: http://www.animalhoardingproject.com.../view.php?id=1 )

Or, if you are approached by people who might be in a position of concern about a friend or relatives hoarding habits... maybe you could pass along our link.

Please let me know if you might be interested in helping out.
    Thanks,

Meribeth Deen

this is what I sent back...

Thank you for the link but I and many other members of my group boycott the animal planet channel. We feel that most of the newer programs are slanted towards the extremest groups such as PETA and HSUS, who in our belief, are not 'pet lovers' but animal rights extremists who believe their way is the only way. If you are not aware they are trying to push legislation through that will end the keeping of exotic pets and our hobby. Try airing some shows that not only show the bad keepers/breeders but also the good ones and maybe change our minds.

Thank you for your time.
    her email is meribeth.deen@me.com if you want to send this researcher a letter. She did ask me to pass on the info... now didn't she. ;D
    Last edited by Lunar Gecko; 09-16-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Wow. Well handled, Sarah. I'm thoroughly disgusted with Animal Planet's point to make biased shows against the good keepers of animals. One bad egg does not mean there are not a hundred, two hundred, three hundred or more excellent keepers for every bad one who keep the hobby alive and their animals happy and thriving.
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Thanks

maybe is some of us write emails this woman will take it to the heads of the channel? It can only help correct? If you write an email please copy and post it here. Remember be polite and to the point. They wont even consider listening unless we come across well.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Syn is offline LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
    Thanks

I am appalled at how unoffensive she must think her question is!

I would LOVE to give her a piece of my mind, but I don't want to be one of those people that makes others look bad. Thank you Sarah for being so calm with your reply.

I stopped watching Animal Planet years ago.... that will not change.

Thanks

That is a bit offensive, even to go as far as finding a herp society to talk about that to. If you look at what their show is meant to be, it basically sounds like it's meant to aim for people that have a bunch of dogs and cats in horrible conditions (seen those stories with people that have so many cats or dogs that there's feces everywhere and dead animals under fridges?)
    Now I'd like you to name any, any at all, reptile keeper that has something like that going on. Yes, we get escapees, but it's not like we just say, "oh time to get another to replace that one" or something.

But then when they can't find what they need for the show, they aim at basically ANYBODY they can. Why don't they go aim for farmers then?

Thanks

I'd love to see there reactions to someone like Derek Dunlop. To walk in and see rooms and rooms of geckos who were all amazeingly well cared for. They would probly turn it around some how to make him look like a crazy person. AP has gone to all hell sense Steve Irwin died.

Thanks

Sarah, since you're a contributer to the forums of the PNWHS herp society, could you please post this there as well? (better it come from the Horse's mouth so to speak!) so that the folks there can be aware as well! There are some well spoken members who I am sure would love to reply to this as well.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saille View Post
    Sarah, since you're a contributer to the forums of the PNWHS herp society, could you please post this there as well? (better it come from the Horse's mouth so to speak!) so that the folks there can be aware as well! There are some well spoken members who I am sure would love to reply to this as well.
    K, did it.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

You'll have to let us know if they reply back to you at all. I'd like to see what 'animal loving' Animal Planet has to say for a rebuttle.

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong...because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."

Syn is offline LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
    Thanks

I wish someone got an email like this from the chameleon forums. Always great discussions over there.