Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tortoise/ turtle mini emergency

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goReptiles View Post
    It is a Russian, but he needs to be in bare minimum 50 gallon tote. These guys need outside time, UV lighting inside. NO fruits. Spring mix is a great staple, but add grasses, weeds, and edible flowers. No other vegetables, they are strict greens and grasses. You don't want to offer too much spinach or darker greens, as they are oxalates, which can bind the calcium.

I have two of these. The above info definitely isn't accurate.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Russian-Tortoise
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Russian-Tortoises-Health
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Edible-Plants-for-Tortoises
    Out of curiousity, do they actually have to have outside time or just UV lighting suffices?

I've thought about getting one, but I live in New York and it's impossible to take a tortoise outside in that weather. Way too cold in the winter here.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

Outside time is ideal so that they get good exercise and real UV rays.

You could do a few hours a day during the summer and be fine, as long as you also have a good UV bulb for inside. Winter isn't an issue, but you still have spring through fall to provide outdoor time. There are plenty of tortoise keepers who do fine by their tortoise while living up north. Just find the warmer part of the day

Tortoises need plenty of exercise, and it is not ideal to just let them walk inside. Tile and slick floors are bad for their legs, and their nails may get caught ln carpet.

Thanks

Whitney has left you some good advise. I have my heard hibernating now for spring breeding. I use concrete mixing tubs for outside UV time. I custom built lids to keep the squirrels out. Here is participial view of my tortoise's summer homes.

Thanks

Ah cool! So how exactly do you hibernate them and for how long?
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

I don't hibernate mine. It isn't a necessity. Many will do it to assist breeding, but as for pets only, you don't HAVE o hibernate.

Thanks

I disagree and research supports natural cycling. These animals are built and designed to hibernate in their natural environment. Their bodies are storing calories to burn during these months. Not cycling allows for animals to become obese and other health issues. I do not want to hijack your post, but natural cycling is part of responsible, informed care. It is just as important as providing adequate lighting and nutrition.

Thanks

That is possible, but what I've researched, hibernation isn't mandatory.*shrugs*

I have only had mine for a year, so I'm still learning. I did get them right before winter, and did not hibernate them last year, they did not gain any excess weight.

I think you just have to do what works for you and your tortoises, as not every tortoise is the same. I've seen plenty of info where not hibernating is fine.
    Last edited by goReptiles; 12-02-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks

I THINK THAT U HAVE A TORTUISE, AND A LITTLE BIT OF SHELL PIRAMIDING and u should try soaking it for 15-20 min.

make sure te water isnt to warm or cold.