Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chameleon help

Thanks

Default Chameleon help

I plan on picking up a Chameleon this weekend at the Taylor Reptile show. I have worked one-on-one with Chameleons, but have never owned one, so I need to know some things about them. I bought a book and have been reading, but I just want to know from those who own them personally.

What is most important to have in the tank? What can they eat and how much? How fast do they grow? What kind of substrate? What temperature? What lights? Anything else important that I should know...?

I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |
    | 1.0.1 Bearded Dragon | 1.0 Uromastyx | 1.0 Tiger Salamander | 1.0 Sand Boa |
    | 1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko | 0.1.0 Mossy Leaftail Gecko |
    | 1.0.0 Mini Lop-Pancakes | 2.1.0 Cats- Bailey, Rufus & Abbey

Thanks

Housing/enclosure decor can depend a lot on the type of Chameleon you get....do you have a specific type of Chameleon your planning on getting or just seeing what they have and go from there? A very helpful resource is http://www.chameleonforums.com

Thanks

I am thinking veiled. They seem to be the most common and I would rather start out with something basic and move on from there.
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |

Thanks

I will be at the show tomorrow

There are normally some chams there, but I would say if youre still so undecided, and being the show is tomorrow, you may want to hold off until you have fully taken the time to research the animal, a chameleon is not a spur of the moment species to get.

But if your looking for a basic species, the vield is the starter species so to speak, although all cham species are super sensitive, the vields are the hardiest, with the panthers next in line. There is a pretty good vield breeder there, cant think of her name, but when she bring them she usually has them in screened cages, anda few older ones there for show. If youre going to do the on a whim without full research, I highly suggest talking to her about it before buying one, and if you get one from there, get it from her, her animals always look the healthest out of all the chams there.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

This definitely is not an on the whim purchase. I have been doing a lot of research, but like I said, I wanted to know what others did with there chameleons. I was hesitant on what breed because I have been looking at a Mullers (spelling may be wrong) be he is full grown and I'm not ready for a 2 foot chameleon, would rather start off small and work my way up.

I know about this breeder, which is who I had planned on buying from.

But like I said... this isnt a spur of the moment thing. I just wanted the advice of those who already own Chameleons.
    ..JESSICA..

Thanks

Myself I am a fan of the smaller species, I have kept gracilis, and wiedersheimi. If I do get back into them, I more then likely will go with a Rudis of a Carpet. The downfall of the smaller species, although the bonus is their size, they dont live as long as a life span, all normally 3 years for the species I listed, which is a big bummer. But if youre not ready for a species that gets 2 foot, then a vield is not the best choice for you. Panthers are another quite large species, normally reaching 20" or more. And like I said those are the two I normally suggest starting with because they are a bit more tolerate of mistakes as compaired with other species. I really would talk to that cham breeder there and see which species they think would be a good start for you as like I said, many of the smaller species are harder to take care of and less forgiving of mistakes.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by electricfiction View Post
    I plan on picking up a Chameleon this weekend at the Taylor Reptile show. I have worked one-on-one with Chameleons, but have never owned one, so I need to know some things about them. I bought a book and have been reading, but I just want to know from those who own them personally.

What is most important to have in the tank? What can they eat and how much? How fast do they grow? What kind of substrate? What temperature? What lights? Anything else important that I should know...?

I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.
    If you do get a veiled then I highly suggest live plants in your screen cage. Schefflera, pothos, and hibiscus are great choices for your chameleon. If your veiled is anything like mine, then you won't see many flowers from your hibiscus because they will be eaten. Veileds thrive on all sorts of feeders. Crickets and/or roaches will probably end up being your primary feeders, just make sure they are gut loaded before being fed to your chameleon. I would highly recommend starting a dubia colony if they are legal in your area. Most people don't use any sort of substrate. Your temperatures depend on how old your chameleon is going to be when you get it because young chameleons can't handle the same temperatures as the adults. As for lighting, a linear Reptisun 5.0 will be your best friend and you will also need a heat bulb. Another important part to chameleon keeping is your chameleon's supplement schedule. You will need a calcium with out D3, calcium with D3, and a reptile vitamin supplement. Nobody wants a chameleon with mbd so, a proper supplement schedule is key. Also think of chameleons as fish, they are awesome to watch but they shouldn't be held. I would also suggest going with a male veiled because you don't have to worry about the laying of infertile eggs and possible egg binding. Plus the males get gnarly colors and a big casque (no offense to any female veileds out there). Veileds also grow very quickly but, each chameleon has its own growth rate. I know my chameleon was small for his age and then out of nowhere he got a crazy growth spurt. If you want an over abundance of great information then chameleonforums.com is the place to be. As long as you do your research and have everything prepared in advance then you should have nothing to worry about. Good luck with your future purchase and post pictures of your new addition.

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to wait. I found 2 really good pick-ups of Cresteds while at the show and decided that Chameleons might be a little harder than I can handle at the moment. Almost picked up a Tokay but also decided Id rather keep my hand for a little while longer. Once I pick up some heavy duty gloves, Ill be getting myself a Tokay.
    ..JESSICA..

Thanks

There were actually a few species there that you dont normally see there. Kim (in the bck left) had a pink tongue skink which are pretty cool. I myself went to pick up one crested and came home with two..lol got to love friends

But chams are a very big responcibility to step into, the rhacs are much more forgiving, even day geckos are more forgiving then the chams. So I think you made a wise choice learning they may not be quite what youre looking for ATM.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Default Chameleon

I am hoping on getting a chameleon but i don't know what type of terrarium to get it. your best bet is to build you own reptile cages, it will be cheaper, built to any size and you will feel good when your chameleon is in it knowing that you built it.