Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crested x Chahoua

Thanks

Default Crested x Chahoua

I'm not looking for a debate or anything - I've read up on the concerns by everyone already. I was discussing with my bf about why threads like these are so heated and I searched for some in the forums and came up with a few for him to see but most of the old ones aren't what I was looking for so...

I was wondering if anyone (in any view) can post what they think about the hybrids so he can see what I'm talking about as a fresh view?

He's new to the gecko world as of a couple months ago and I figured you guys can help him see the different points of views on hybridization (Why some support, why some don't. Why some support the curiosity of breeding but not breeding the results, etc, etc) Just anything you guys can think of that will shine some light for him without this becoming a really heated arguement

I thank everyone who helps with this! I tried explaining to him myself but I feel I did not do as great a job as actually SEEING could do!

I will ask to any mods as well as Matthew Parks that if this does become a bit too much at all, if it could be locked? My intention is just for information purposes only - no debate, no arguments (I've seen some topics like these almost go up in flames because of the different views).

Anyway, thanks in advance!!

Thanks

I own a hybrid, crested/chewie and love him to pieces! I see nothing wrong with hybrids as long as people who sell make sure buyers are aware that they are buying hybrids. Please don't attack me. I'm just putting my $.02 in. Everyone is entiled to their own opinions!
    0.1 Human- Kyrah, 3.1 Crested Geckos, 0.2.1 Tokay, 1.1 Uromastyx, 0.1 Ball Python, 0.0.1 leachy, 1.0 chewie/crested hybrid, 2.2 RTB, 1.0 golden gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hupababy83 View Post
    I own a hybrid, crested/chewie and love him to pieces! I see nothing wrong with hybrids as long as people who sell make sure buyers are aware that they are buying hybrids. Please don't attack me. I'm just putting my $.02 in. Everyone is entiled to their own opinions!
    O.o I think the only thing most people start having problems with is when they are bred back into the Gene pool.
    -Matt-

Im with you. I see nothing wrong with them. Hybrids of all sorts of animals happen in the wild. Im unsure if crestedxchahoua has happened in the wild or not but hybrids are nothing new. The only problem I have with them is when they get sold to ignorant liars who say they won't breed them and they want them as a pet then breed a hybrid to a crested or chahoua or even a hybrid to a hybrid =/ I don't really agree with breeding hybrids at all. They are interesting and cool, but IMO they are pet status only geckos. Its just interesting to see these combos in animals cause they're unique and beautiful. There may be no point to breeding them since most everyone would say "Do not breed a hybrid" but who cares? A lot of people own animals as pets only and don't breed... We can say the crestoua is the dog of the gecko world It just shouldn't be bred but kept as a pet and companion.

((Sorry if any of this is confusing or may seem put the wrong way. I'm on 0 sleep for almost 48 hours now lol. I'm really not on a "Breed them!!" or "Dont breed them!!" side. I'm neutral to all this. If they're bred, cool. They look cool but shouldnt be bred back into the gene pool. If they aren't bred, great! Thats ok too. What never existed will never know imo.))
    Ps: Before I'm attacked - if I'm attacked - ask before accusing. I think thats what most heated threads start up about is cause people accuse someone is one way because of a little misunderstanding so if there is anything you don't agree with, with what I said, please just ask me to clarify before assuming cause like I said - 48 hours, no sleep. My wording skills suck and I'm rambling anyway
    -Angel

Thanks

Lol that's funny cause I'm on 0 sleep for 24hours. And I'll rpeat what I said... I think hybrids are ok as pets only.
    0.1 Human- Kyrah, 3.1 Crested Geckos, 0.2.1 Tokay, 1.1 Uromastyx, 0.1 Ball Python, 0.0.1 leachy, 1.0 chewie/crested hybrid, 2.2 RTB, 1.0 golden gecko

Thanks

Yeah We just need everyone who owns/buys/sells them to think so too!

lol nice. Pangea is a site full of insomniacs haha

Thanks

Working 16 shifts kicks my butt! 2 more hours and I can sleep!! Lol

Thanks

Wow 16? :o
    Jeez. I don't work but I go to school. Homework kept me up all night until the LAST minute I had to leave for school lol. Darn KGA's =/

Thanks

IMO EVERYTHING that came from the wild is a hybrid of something else..Its evolution..The crestie didnt become a crestie from 2 crestie parents. Its the age old question "What came 1st"..? The crestie or the egg..lol

so Im also neutral on this subject I havent been "into" gecko's long enough to even know what these look like anyone have any pics..?
    3.1.0 Cresties 1.1.1 Cats 1.1.0 Kids

Peace
    Jay

Thanks

My personal opinion is that they are inappropriate. They are the result of humans attempting to satisfy a curiosity. The hybrids themselves are not making a species that is heartier or better for the genus- they do nothing overall to help advance the species, and are more in a sense like breeding dogs like pugs: the punched in faces and wrinkles came about from trying to garner more symbols of luck out of their wrinkled heads, but as a result they have ridiculous amounts of health problems... they nearly all need to be born via c-section because their heads are too large to fit through the birth canal, they have incredible difficulty breathing (which, incredibly enough, pug owners sometimes find "cute"... which baffles me.. why would you revel in the suffering of an animal?), they have numerous sensitivities to allergens and skin disorders, the list goes on. The fact that all offspring from a chahoua x crested mating are born male is an indication that they are not ready to be a species. They are too far apart genetically for them to come about easily through mating, but close enough so that if you wait long enough for them to get tricked into mating each other, it can eventually happen given the right pairing.
    I gave my geckos up... but I want to come back :c

Thanks

Pugs are great dogs, and a proper owner has ways to take care of their dogs. I take offense to you saying I think the suffering of my two pugs are cute. They are great little dogs that have a TON of personality. I dont really know enough about geckos to have a say one way or the other.