Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mainland vs pine island

Thanks

Breeders are trying harder now to keep them pure or call them crosses up front. But as for crosses being "new" to strengthen a line, that is not correct. If you look back in the early 2005 lots of people were just saying chahoua with no locales given because they didn't know and it didn't seem to be as important as it is to people now. As was pointed out there really is no scientific difference between the two locales. There are some guidelines but as was said there is no hard and fast rules. As for telling hatchling apart...good luck they can look VERY close.

Take a look at Mike from Dragontowns mainlands if you want to see some AMAZING color on GT's!

I have seen plain colored PI's also, and even exceptions in weight. I have a mainland male that is still young and coming in at 57.4 grams and a PI female that never has gotten higher than 52 grams and mostly stays between 49-52.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flyvagaric View Post
    According to scientist Henkel, There are no known gene differences between the two locales and therefore from a scientific standpoint are the same.
    I feel like a broken record sometimes, but Aaron Bauer reported at the 2006 New Caledonia Symposium that there are genetic differences between the GT and PI chahoua populations. Willi Henkel was at the symposium and I suspect your attribution is from earlier than 2006. Bauer still has not published his findings and taxonomic re-distribution of the Rhacodactlyus genus though.

I suspect that we don't have a big enough sample size of Mainland chewies to really know what they are all about. And what we have is in-bred (though Rich Spekner does have a wildcaught Mainlander). It might be best to refer to them as our captive-bred-tiny-pool-of-mainland-origin chahouas, since they may only faintly resemble the population that evolved and currently lives there.

Here's a pic of a mainland chahoua in the wild by Ross Sadlier. Doesn't look much like our mainland population, does it?!

--John
    3.8.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    3.8.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua 'Pine Isle'
    1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Jasper Sailfin Geckos on facebook

Thanks

Edit: Delete
    Last edited by Flyvagaric; 09-06-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks

I do wish that this would be approved and published as a fact. Does he say what the differences are? I know you have written about this finding before but it has been many years and this is still not published anywhere as fact with examples of how they are different.
    That is a lovely animal, I know I have in my care and have seen plenty of GT examples that are beautiful animals. They are not all bug-eyed with undershot jaws and no color. It annoys me when people claim somehow that they are less than the PI, frankly I have seen some PI's that I wouldn't buy no matter what the price.

Quote Originally Posted by jaspersail View Post
    I feel like a broken record sometimes, but Aaron Bauer reported at the 2006 New Caledonia Symposium that there are genetic differences between the GT and PI chahoua populations. Willi Henkel was at the symposium and I suspect your attribution is from earlier than 2006. Bauer still has not published his findings and taxonomic re-distribution of the Rhacodactlyus genus though.

I suspect that we don't have a big enough sample size of Mainland chewies to really know what they are all about. And what we have is in-bred (though Rich Spekner does have a wildcaught Mainlander). It might be best to refer to them as our captive-bred-tiny-pool-of-mainland-origin chahouas, since they may only faintly resemble the population that evolved and currently lives there.

Here's a pic of a mainland chahoua in the wild by Ross Sadlier. Doesn't look much like our mainland population, does it?!

--John
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

Thanks for the interesting tid-bit Jaspersail,
    I thought I had heard somthing about there being some differences,
    but was un-certain therefore went with what published info I could find online.

I believe this info was from yr 2000 or earlier.

As for the wild mainland, that picture and Gecko is awesome !

Thanks

Due to the population bottleneck experienced when captured and imported i think its quite probable that captive Chahoua are either becoming or already are very genetically different than wild chahoua. Small splinter populations like those imported into captivity are far more susceptible to genetic drift. With enough time splinter populations (like wild PI chahoua or captive chahoua) may eventually end up looking nothing like the original population. Given the time that has passed since most mainlands have been collected and their small captive population size i wouldn't expect captive mainlands to represent the diversity of wild mainlands very well.
    Last edited by AndrewLiu; 09-02-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: grammer