Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mainland vs pine island

Thanks

Default Mainland vs pine island

What is the difference? I saw a thread a while back, but can't find it. If possible I would love to see picture and verbal differences.

Thanks

This is a very interesting question indeed.
    Basically Mainlands were collected off of Grande Terre, where as
    P.I were collected off of the IIs De Pines.

According to scientist Henkel, There are no known gene differences between the two locales and therefore from a scientific standpoint are the same.

However, you will see some differences between the two as far as size, coloration, and certain things of that sort.
    If I am not mistaken when chahoua were first collected, only a few pairs of Mainland chahoua were collected, and then bred to increase population.
    It was not until 10 or more years later that P.I were then imported, and possibly more Mainlands,
    so a lot of breeders prefer their "Fresher Genes" or Coloration.
    This makes the P.I more valuable in most breeders eyes.

I personally love all chewies and still want to collect them all ! lol

xD

Hope this helps.

Jason

Thanks

That's pretty much the info I knew, except how you said some find pi more available as their new fresher bloodlines.

What are the color differences, size differences, etc between the two.

I always thought that P.I. were brighter and more colorful, but I recently saw the reverse from the same breeder, which is what led to the question.

Thanks

Mainlands are darker, have shorter noses big eyes, and are smaller than pines.

PI tend to be lighter, have a more range in color, are more opt to the white shoulders and mottling. Long noses, and slightly smaller eyes than Mainlands.

Its a horse a piece. I have seen some STUNNING mainlands, and some ugly Pines. Find what you like, and don't worry so much about locale. If you like an animal, don't let "popular" opinion sway you. I myself, prefer PI but that's not to say that when I have as many Pines as I'd like, that I won't buy a Mainland or two!

Here is a Phil Tremper mainland female (phil was holding her in the photo for me). She has the short nose, big eyes. Perfect example of a Mainland. She was gorgeous in person. If I had the cash, I would have got her!

Another shot, of her and the mainland male she was being sold with.

And a shot of my little baby PI. Hopefully someone will post a photo of a mainland hatchling so you could compare

If you plan on breeding someday down the line, just consider sticking with one locale for your pairs. Crosses are becoming a "newish" trend, and its supposed to strenghten the lines, but there are purists of both Locales that wont touch em.

When I look at chewies I ask the same questions. Age, sex, and locale and lineage. Most people should be able to tell you if its Cemelli, or Vosjoli, or Tremper, etc etc. Its good to know
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

I bought a P.I that aopears quite colorful as a hatching. I don't have it yet, as it is too warm here to ship, but the pictures are gorgeous.

I don't know if I will breed but right now just want to experience the one. If I do, I would keep everything locale specific, versus mixed.

I was just curious as to the differences in the two. I have seen more darker mainlands, but the one I saw on another website looked like the labels were switched, with the mainland being much more colorful than the P.I.

I am still much interested inthe different variations of the locales.

Thanks

Link the website? And post the pics of your new baby! I love chewie pics and congrats!
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meg90 View Post
    Mainlands are darker, have shorter noses big eyes, and are smaller than pines.

PI tend to be lighter, have a more range in color, are more opt to the white shoulders and mottling. Long noses, and slightly smaller eyes than Mainlands.
    I don't even think it can really be broken down that easily, personally. I am seeing so many GTs now that are pastel greens and pinks or tan, and plenty of pines that are very dark. One of my pines fires to nearly black and pink, and another is very dark browns and greens. I have a GT that is minty green and tan. I dont even think such geckos are exceptions to the rule anymore...there are varities of color and pattern in both species.

I think size can be a somewhat better way to differentiate between locales, but that is hardly bulletproof either. Most GT's are 45-50g or less, whereas most pines are 55+g. Once again, there are plenty of exceptions to that rule as well - big GTs and small PIs.

When I look at chewies I ask the same questions. Age, sex, and locale and lineage. Most people should be able to tell you if its Cemelli, or Vosjoli, or Tremper, etc etc. Its good to know
    I don't know how much I buy into "Cemelli" chewies. Steve sources many of his Chahoua from other people, and I think only personally works with a line of high white collars.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

All examples Mike, and the general, well, generalizations.
    It doesn't say expert below my avatar jut sharing what is the typical norm.
    You've got a crop of chewies now, how bout you share some pics for Whitney eh?
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goReptiles View Post
    I am still much interested inthe different variations of the locales.
    IMO there isn't much else to it.

There are Grand Terre/Mainland animals that tend to be a bit smaller, were imported in lower quantities, and don't often exhibit the white collar trait though there are a few that do.

The Pine Isle animals tend to be a bit larger, were imported in slightly larger quantities, and more often display white collars when compared to mainlands.

Tim Tytle was one of the first people to work with Grand Terre Chahoua in the 90's and there are some stories that his animals were heavily inbred, resulting in the gouging eyes, smaller size and underbites that GTs tend to exhibit more often than PIs.

In my personal experience/opinion, I don't think the underbite has much to do with inbreeding and is more attributable to inadequate nutrition and calcium in early life - most likely in the mother while eggs and embryos are being formed.

Just my .02.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Thanks meg and mike.

Please post if u have them.

Meg, my computer at work is dead and has been for two days. I bought the second chewie from jtmoney that was on his ad. I don't know if you remember it. The sibling was a holdback but the one I got was nearly as colorful.