Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy? Pregnant? fat?

Thanks

Default Healthy? Pregnant? fat?

I picked her up at a reptile show on aug. 15th. Does she look healthy to you? She looks kind of fat to me. Do you think she might lay an egg or something? She looks kinda chunky to me. I don't yet have a scale to weigh her yet though. I've never had Gargoyle Geckos before. I have never bred her but the vendor who sold her to me said she was a proven breeder. I didn't think much of it at the time. I later read on here that they can store sperm for a year? Is that true? lol.

Any advice? Does she look pregnant? Healthy? Fat? If so (pregnant) any tips for me? I want to make sure I'm caring for her correctly and that I'm doing everything right.

I feed her a cap full of CGD every other day or so. She gobbles it up. She has also eaten 2 dusted crickets since I got her.
    I know, I'm a noob... I'll continue to search the threads... Thanks for any input.

Here she is the day I got her:

Here is a pic of her today... I disturbed her mid day when she usually is resting...

Thanks

She sure is looking huge! Fatter than gargs usually are! I don't personally have any gargs so hopefully someone that owns one will answer for you. I wouldn't know if she is gravid or impacted.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Thanks

Since I got her I've had her on paper towels. The vendor recommended Eco Earth when I got her, so I assume thats what she was previously on if this helps at all.... Could she be impacted? Hmmm I'll search posts on what to do for this... As I said, I'm a total noob with geckos.... didn't even think of that possibility...

Thanks

She def is prego. And on top of that huge! She does not look too fat, but she really does look like she would drop eggs any day now. I would put a container of coco fiber, dirt, moss, or soil for her to lay in. It depends on if you want to keep the eggs or not, but I say keep doing what your doing feeding wise. Do you have pictures of the setup? Thanks

Thanks

if she has been with a male its very possible she is gravid (typically the term pregnant refers to organisms with a placenta). If you don't want to replace the paper towels with eco earth entirely, you should probably put a laybox into her enclosure with about 3-4 inches of incubation medium (eco earth, etc) to encourage her to lay if she does indeed have eggs. Keep in mind that gargs are fat little critters! Just because she is fat does not mean she has eggs. She may just be a chunky butt.

Thanks

I will definately add the laybox. Thanks for the input!!! Wasn't quite sure the correct term, thanks. I'll keep you all updated if she lays... Looks like I've got some reading to do! LOL...

Is there a way to feed too much??? Is over eating ever a problem with gargs? Just curious. Again, thanks for the input, it does help! I do searches on here and see a lot of gravid cresties but not so much gargs. The trained eye is nice...

Thanks

they won't overeat; no need to worry about that.

Thanks

Gargs are one rhac that dont seem to get over weight, they are a heavier species in general then the cresteds, although they are about the same size, but in general they are a heavier species and in general they are normally 55g+, and quite often will hit the 60g+ mark.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

http://www.jbscresties.com/breeding.html
    Great thing to read. Also, read through the health and breeding section. She does look gravid to me as well, and any day now she should be laying eggs! So I'd read a lot and fast if I was you Good luck! Any questions everyone here will answer.
    Katelyn.
    8.1.1 Cresties | 1.1 Gargs | 1 House Gecko | 0.0.1 Tokay | 0.0.1 Leopard | 0.0.1 Chewie

Thanks

She doesn't look "fat" just "thick" lol. Looks like she's probably gravid. I'd keep an eye out for eggs and watch her carefully.

Good luck,
    -Armen