Thread: Solitary Leachianus lays first clutch. Questions on this life stage.

Thanks

Default Solitary Leachianus lays first clutch. Questions on this life stage.

Name:  61A4F7FC-F245-4AD8-86EF-BF7807574E85.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  20.4 KB
    Name:  A1F2D2DB-8B62-439E-BB12-7948AD1F1154.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  20.8 KB
    Name:  FB212FAC-70B2-4BC6-A63D-5DEB8B01A8C8.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  18.8 KB
    My Leachianus dug a hole in the substrate last night and laid her first two eggs. She’s a 2 year, 3 month old Moro Island type. I’ve had her since 5 months old. She’s my first Rhac and I have no idea what to expect going forward. Any advice on this life stage would be greatly appreciated!
    A little background: She’s in a bioactive 18X24x36 Exo Terra tank. The plant lights raise the temps about 5 degrees during the day. Daytime across the tank ranges from 75 to 79, nighttime from 70 to 73. There’s very little seasonal fluctuation in temps because of this. I spray the plants at night, so humidity peaks, then dries down to the 55 to 75 percent range across the tank by the end of next the day. She’s eaten a variety of Pangea CGD all her life and was only interested in live prey for a few months when she was closer to a year old, so I don’t offer anymore. She’s healthy, very active and interactive, sheds regularly, eats regularly but has never been much of an enthusiatic eater.
    I’m interested to know, how often should I expect to see eggs now? Is there anything I should start doing differently; feeding to support her body after laying, etc.? I don’t plan to breed her, are there environmental factors that I can control to cut down the incidence of egg production? What do I do with the eggs? I’ve read of cases of parthenogenesis in Leachies, so who knows, should I leave the eggs as they lay for a while and see what happens? They’re in a protected corner of the tank in damp AGB mix, with the tank conditions as they are, should it be fine to leave them to incubate or is there some reason to pull them out and try doing it separately?
    Sorry the pics are coming up sideways; I’m having a hard time getting them to orient properly. Advice on how to fix that would also be welcomed.
    Last edited by Vikathing; 01-24-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Having trouble uploading images

Thanks

My solitary leachie laid 2 clutches of eggs last season after I'd had her for 5 years (I thought it was a male!). I had an incubator going, so I incubated the eggs, but I wouldn't have bought an incubator just for those. If she lays again this season, I'll let the eggs stay in the cage and see if anything hatches. As for feeding, just be aware of whether she seems to be eating more and increase feeding as necessary.

Aliza

Thanks

Default Update

Now exactly 2 months later, she’s laid another clutch. She pretty much refused food for the week leading up, same as the first time, so I had a suspicion it was coming.
    If there are any breeders reading this; how much does changing the photoperiod effect laying habits? I’ve read that breeders often do a “cooling period” to give their girls a break from laying. I can’t do too much in my apartment about temps (without my husband complaining), but I can shorten the light cycle more if that’s a big trigger. I pretty much follow the sun up/down times out the window throughout the year (Chicago) in the viv.
    If my Leachie is going to continue laying duds every two months, I’d love some pointers on how to properly give her a break for at least part of the year. I find most posts about breeding don’t have a lot of “how to” information.
    If there are people reading that have experience keeping female Leachies, (or cresties and other rhachs for that matter), as a hobby or as pets, do you have any tips to pass on regarding egg laying?

Thanks

Don't worry, she will not lay eggs all year round. I've had a leachie lay eggs (as I mentioned before) and have also successfully bred gargs and a crestie. They will lay eggs for 4-6 months, in my experience usually about once a month or so (unlike the leopard geckos that lay every 2 weeks and can lay 10 clutches or more) and then they'll stop. I don't think there's anything special you have to do. In my opinion, waiting 2 months between clutches gives her time to recover.

Aliza