Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most prolific geckos?

Thanks

They're easy care, nothing to it. I had them set up in a 'dry forest' type habitat, similar to what you'd do for fat-tailed geckos including a UTH since they hide during the day. Some people suggested sand but I used peatmoss, just a barely moistened enough to keep the dust down, but you could easily use coco-fibre. Provide some humid hides but don't look there for eggs - they'll be outside in drier substrate. That's probably where I went wrong at first - couldn't find eggs in the humid hide for ages even though the I saw mating and gravid females. Then one day I noticed all these tiny brown, spotted 'sticks' moving around and realized there were about 8 or 9 babies! They are communal if the enclosure is big enough, mine were in a 55 gallon tank. Males don't fight if there's enough room, babies weren't eaten (if they were, I wouldn't have noticed, still had dozens and dozens of the little suckers flitting around). You have to be really observant if you're looking for eggs, they're very small and hard shelled so they're rather fragile. I finally gave up saving eggs and let them hatch wherever they were laid. It worked, very well, too well
    Babies can take pinheads and they grow like weeds. Even though I ended up removing babies as soon as they were big enough to handle safely (within the first month), I never figured out just how old they have to be to mate. I tried removing suspected females from the baby tanks but some males made it in there anyways, guess they looked female long enough to be sorted in there. My guess is they are sexually mature by 4-5 months and full grown by then too. Eventually I had so many babies in with the adults that I didn't find and remove, that my 2.8 was more like a small village. Took some doing but I managed to set up 40-50 into 3 other tanks all within less than 2 years of getting the first ones, and that's when I sold the remaining 2.5 of the original group (females seem to lay themselves to death according to what I've been able to find in my research). Still had over 80 when I finally got out of tigers completely. If you're looking for feeders, they're the ideal species as far as I'm concerned.

You really don't have to worry about them one bit. They're hardy as any gecko, moreso than pictus which I found to be a bit 'fragile' the first few weeks. Tiger babies are ready to tackle the world and capable of doing it too.

Thanks

Thanks very much! I'm trying to find some adult tiger geckos to start breeding. They look like cute little guys but I'm sure I won't think so once they reproduce in mass numbers . Thanks again for your help .
    -Marina York-

4.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (B)
    1.0.0 ball python
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.2.0 leopard geckos