Thread: Thinking about a humidifier. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Thinking about a humidifier. Any suggestions?

Wasn't sure to put this here or in the health section but so well.

College is coming up and I'm worried that my only night class would prevent me from misting the cage in time when it drys out for the day. I don't want to trust my family with this so I'm thinking about a humidifier so that I don't have to worry about the night time at all. I looked at humidifiers made for reptiles and I heard only bad reviews about them breaking down after 3 months or so.

Any non-reptile oriented humidifiers that any of you guys would recommend?
    Crested Gecko 1.0 (His name is Frogner!)
    Leopard Gecko 1.0 (His name is Vastervik!)

Thanks

We use normal human humidifiers since we keep our geckos in our bedroom. We have a cool mist one for the summer and a warm mist one for the winter. It helps keep the humidity at a set level since we have central ac/heat that normally sucks the humidity out of the room. The humidifiers also makes the room more comfy to sleep in. (We still mist 2x a day, but adjust the humidifiers as needed.)

Thanks

How about if you just want to put a travel size humidifier INSIDE your terrarium? I want to know if this is a bad idea...

Thanks

Is it really necessary? After your night class are you gone all night because it is out of town or something? I find if I mist really heavy in the morning I still have droplets in the tank almost 24 hours later. Could you not just cover about 50% of the top of the tank on those days so the tank dries out more slowly. Misting a few hours later should not be a major issue (or even a minor on for that matter).
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Thanks

^I guess you're right. This is my first pet ever so I feel like I'm getting paranoid over silly things. (This included!)

I just don't want to be that person who ends up slowly killing their animal through utter ignorance and avoidable negligent.

BTW I commute from home and new construction work been popping up everywhere so I just worried~!

Thanks

I used a travel humidifier from Walgreen. Its cost 25 bucks and rigged some PVC to it to go into tank. I don't think the humidifier alone is good. They do not produces water droplets. You might look into a mist system on a timer to make sure they have water. Good luck. If you go with the Walgreen humidifier i can give you pics of my setup and the fitting needed to hook the PVC to it.

Thanks

You want the cage to dry out in between mistings. Really, the best thing is to have a humidity gradient such that the crestie can regulate their own exposure to humidity. You can achieve a gradient by having a partially covered humid hide or by using hides that will absorb moisture (like egg flats/cartons).

Thanks

I have to agree, the humidifier will keep the humidity up, but will not allow water for the crestie to drink. You really need to mist at night. 95% of my crestied drink water droplets, very few will drink out of a bowl. Just spray it down real good when you get home. That would be the best.

as to a humidifier, depends, if it is warm, you will want a cool mist. the warm mist just puts more heat in the area
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_dust View Post
    Wasn't sure to put this here or in the health section but so well.

College is coming up and I'm worried that my only night class would prevent me from misting the cage in time when it drys out for the day. I don't want to trust my family with this so I'm thinking about a humidifier so that I don't have to worry about the night time at all. I looked at humidifiers made for reptiles and I heard only bad reviews about them breaking down after 3 months or so.

Any non-reptile oriented humidifiers that any of you guys would recommend?

But i found some good review about travel humidifier here