Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: not everyone will agree (especially if you own'em).

Thanks

Question not everyone will agree (especially if you own'em).

not a huge rant,just an opinion I really think that the "Phantom Pin stripe" morph is bullshit form the "phantom pin stripes i've seen"..I think it's just people trying to get more money out of plainass geckos or to make a name for themselves in the industry, pin stripes are usually obvius light color stripes on a dark color surface and would imagine reverse would be,,,,well ... reverse... e.g, dark color stripes on a lighter color surface. would love to hear what people have to say.... if you are going to post on this thread ,i ask that you please post if you are an owner of "Phantom Pin Stripe(s)"..
    Last edited by 312Herps; 07-23-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: im foreign...

Thanks

pick pick pick pickpickpickpickpickpick!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

I think the phantoms are great. Its no different than regular tigers or brindles. When its subtle, its barely worth mentioning, but when its bold, its beautiful.

No, I do not own any phantoms.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

I don't think the morph is bs at all. The characteristics of the morph are pretty obvious as well imo.
    I personally have not seen any obscene pricing of phantom pinstripes ether, if anything I see phantom pinners at a lower price unless the animal is of exceptional quality.
    And I agree with Misskiwi67, a bold well defined specimen is quite amazing in my eyes and well worth owning.

Thanks

See...I tend to think quite the opposite when looking at pins. i.e. phantom pins are a clear and descernable morph, being raised scales of the same base color...whereas reverse pins has more to do with a coloration versus raised scales.

Interesting outlook you have...this should turn into an interesting topic.

And eager to hear what crestedkeeper has to say on the matter.
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Thanks

Here are photos of a Phantom Pinstripe Anthony himself used to demonstrate a SUPERB example of the morph. It turns out, many of us were confused about the morph definition, and the confusion was why they were under-appreciated.

I'm sure there will be some haters, but personally I would LOVE to have this gecko... and I'd sell my right arm to have one in red.

Here is a link to the original thread, the discussion of phantoms starts on page 6, so I will link to that page. This thread was a huge learning experience for myself and several others...

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...t=34258&page=6
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

As an owner and breeder of both phantom and reverse (as well as not being a fan of the "classic pinstripe"), I actually find it offensive that you choose to broadly assert that breeders are making stuff up to get more $$. Perhaps you should do a reality check on pricing and see what is charged and by whom. I personally have always been a proponent of "animal health and care over money" and assure you that I am not in this hobby with any delusions of grandeur regarding making a financial killing.

That said, if you view the animals and understand traits and morphs, it is easy to see that phantoms and reverse pins are different and deserving of their own classification. The beauty of working with cresteds is that there ARE so many morphs, colors and traits and nothing is a "plainass gecko" to someone who obviously appreciates what you do not. We all have our own likes and dislikes, and I neither purchase nor rail against anything I don't like (or understand).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saille View Post
    pick pick pick pickpickpickpickpickpick!
    thanks for the feedback...

an to everyone else that did give feedback thanks i actually like that gecko that was pictured there,thanks misskiwi very helpful.. but i guess im kind of oldschool cause tha looks like what an actual regular Pinstripe should look like and was reffered to in the late 90's .I wish i still had Roberta Hamper's book on cresteds.. she coined the moonglow term and i think that people took it somewhere else thinking that a moonglow was a solid white gecko that would stay that color all the time, when in reality it was just to desribe a type of extremely light cream gecko, i think that if a gecko stayed white all the time (as in lack of color) that might qualify it as an albino?

Thanks

The phantoms are relatively new to the official morph list and therefore are up for speculation. In this case I think its a matter of confusion leading to conclusion. As we can see in the photo posted by Misskiwi, the phantom is unique and interesting. The pinstripe scales themselves can be cream/white, its the rest of the zones that are without it, especially within the dorsum itself which is not common among pinstripes. That and muted patterning in all areas makes for an attractive specimen. I would also love to have a red one, I might even give a leg along with my arm, lol.

On another note a reverse pin is darker streak lines of color that run just outside the actual pinstripe, or where a pinstripe would be.
    STEVEN

Thanks

I agree with Mike.

Let's bear in mind that most gecko traits do come in degrees. Some phantoms have more phantom pinning than others, just like how pinning shows up in many percentages and levels of contrast. If you honestly have a question as to whether or not a particular animal could be considered a phantom or reverse pinner, by all means, I'm sure we'd all love to discuss it.

By the way you said you'd "imagine" how a phantom or reverse pinner would look, does that mean that you've never seen a photo, and are just wondering if it actually exists? There are plenty of photos that people can post to show both traits, and there's an excellent example above. The trait does actually exist. Challenging it would be like challenging dalmatian spots or blushing. I don't think anybody here is really expecting to make a whole lot of extra money with the trait...but traits ARE worth pointing out in geckos, as they can affect how the offspring look.

Does that make sense? I have a baby that's starting to show phantom pinning...maybe I'll post a pic if I can find a better camera than my phone.
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)